Recycled plot spotted

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Recycled plot spotted

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I was watching an episode of Blacksheep Squadron on ME TV when the B plot popped up and made me take notice. The B plot was the exact main plot of "Operation: Silent Night" of Magnum P.I. fame. The Blacksheep Squadron guys were shot down on an island occupied by the Japaneese as well as a Swiss nun and priest running an orphanage. Late in the episode the rest of the squad locate them, but find out the Navy is going to bombard the island for target practic. The same stock footage seems to have been used in both series. Anyone else spot a recycled plot?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Recycled plot spotted

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This was also the plot of an episode of Gilligan's Island.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:This was also the plot of an episode of Gilligan's Island.
That was basically the plot of whole Gilligan's Island series!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:This was also the plot of an episode of Gilligan's Island.
That was basically the plot of whole Gilligan's Island series!
True Conch!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I was watching an episode of Blacksheep Squadron on ME TV when the B plot popped up and made me take notice. The B plot was the exact main plot of "Operation: Silent Night" of Magnum P.I. fame. The Blacksheep Squadron guys were shot down on an island occupied by the Japaneese as well as a Swiss nun and priest running an orphanage. Late in the episode the rest of the squad locate them, but find out the Navy is going to bombard the island for target practic. The same stock footage seems to have been used in both series. Anyone else spot a recycled plot?
Hi Sign,
Nice catch. I am 99% positive that a episode of the 1950's Superman series had the same plot, with Perry White, Miss Lane and Jimmy Olsen stuck on a island that the Navy is about to shell. But I havent seen it in over 40 years so I could be wrong, but I don't think so as I must have seen every episode 20 times as a kid.
"Look, up in the sky! Its a bird, its a plane"...
As a kid, I never understood why anyone would stop passerbys to point out a bird, or even a plane, flying by. Mad Buck Gibson maybe, the Wizard of Oz returning in his balloon okay, but a bird?