Your favorite comedy episodes?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Your favorite comedy episodes?

#1 Post by marlboro »

The folks who made Magnum PI were equally adept at doing comedy, drama, and action. Even the most serious episodes have well done moments of levity; which very few shows are able to pull off. And there were also a lot of episodes that almost entirely comedy.

So, which episodes do you find the funniest?

My top ten:

#01: Faith and Begorrah: Father Paddy, a flustered Higgins, a terrified Magnum and a shockingly dark humored ending. What more could you ask for?

#02: Forty Years from Sand Island: Not a comedy episode exactly, but there are a lot of hilarious moments in this one.

#03: The Elmo Ziller Story: "I wanna pull your mustache!" "You wonna whut?!

#04: Tropical Madness: A midget...or a dwarf?

#05: I Witness: A very clever episode, with some subtle touches and a great twist ending. What did happen to their clothes?

#06: Luther Gillis: File #001: I think the second Luther episode is even funnier than the first. Hillerman and Roche make a great team.

#07: Luther Gillis: File #521: The birth of a legend, scrungo.

#08: Birdman of Budapest: Higgins' bird call is enough to get it on the list. "So be it."

#09: Who is Don Luis Higgins...?: "Do not fight it; our hips have minds of their own!" The weakest of the three Higgins Brothers episodes, but still pretty funny.

#10: Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too: Not a popular episode, but I enjoyed it. Don't punish me for my passion, ok. There are some good bits in this one; the aforementioned "passion" quote, T.C. shopping for a "Macho lei" and one of the best "Out-rage-ous!" outbursts by Higgins.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Your favorite comedy episodes?

#2 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I think "I Witness" may be the best pure comedy episode. Usually they'd blend the elements together, but this one was strictly for comedic purposes. "Pleasure Principle" is also a really great comedy episode. They wanted to tone it down with how serious the previous episodes had to be. Higgins and Magnum trading personality traits due to the PTSS of Magnum's shooting was gold.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#3 Post by Tralfaz »

Lost Art
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Treasure of Kalanipohuu, Tropical Madness, Paper War, murder 101, Pleasure Principle... And while not technically a comedy episode... Innocence, A Broad.

Honorable mention to thank heaven for little girls

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

Doc Ibold wrote:And while not technically a comedy episode... Innocence, A Broad.
I think Rita would have made a good girlfriend for Rick in season 8. They could have had some nice comic relief scenes leading up to the wedding in the final episode.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumILWU »

...By Its Cover
"pickled egg please"

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Paper War. I love the way Higgins and TM go after one another in this one.

St Max Kolbe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by St Max Kolbe »

Black on White had me really laughing even though it wasn't entirely a comedy. Complete genius whoever wrote that episode and probably when the show had its greatest edge.
St Damien of Molokai - Ora pro nobis!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:And while not technically a comedy episode... Innocence, A Broad.
I think Rita would have made a good girlfriend for Rick in season 8. They could have had some nice comic relief scenes leading up to the wedding in the final episode.
AGREED!

It wouldn't have been a stretch to have her leave her husband and start up her own "detective agency". Rick falls for her, BAM. Which isn't to say I DIS-liked Cleo (who has me flash back to the psychic of the 90s).. but the relationship just seemed improbable to me.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#10 Post by Hawaii Winds »

MY FAVORITE IS THE EPISODE IS WHERE TM WORKS AT DAY & DARK CONVIENCE STORES

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hawaii Winds wrote:MY FAVORITE IS THE EPISODE IS WHERE TM WORKS AT DAY & DARK CONVIENCE STORES
Ah! Good call. Plenty of good moments in that one.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#12 Post by BWheelz54 »

I think "Computer Date" is the episode I would choose for the best comedic moments. The entire episode is not as goofy maybe as a few of some others, but I love the humor found when Thomas puts Higgins through the paces as Higgins tries to get in better shape before an old flame comes to visit the estate. The humor there really plays up the strange and strong friendship between those two, and it lays it on just right - not too thick, and not too thin.

* That said, I think my favorite comedic moment is when TC walks into the Day and Dark Convenient Store and asks Thomas for a pickled egg. :D