Guest Stars you wish had made a second appearance?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Guest Stars you wish had made a second appearance?

#1 Post by marlboro »

Which guest stars do you wish had been brought back for a second appearance? Feel free to include the handful of characters who did make multiple appearances if you are a huge fan.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Guest Stars you wish had made a second appearance?

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I like this idea. There are a few characters I would have liked to have seen return from time to time. My short list would be:

- Philippe Trusseau & Dan Cook in a flashback episode or three
- Brig. Allistair Ffolkes
- Judge Robert Caine & Diane Pauley
- J. Digger Doyle
- Buck Gibson
- Rod Crysler
- Bibi Kiamani
- Tozan
- Lt. Nolan Page
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

I agree 100% with Conch on Digger . They could've had a few more episodes with her background in security.
I liked Dana Delaney's character, Cynthia Farrell, but they brought her back so that one doesn't count. Milton Collins....the Ripper doesn't get killed at the Natatorium and returns with more nursery rhymes in another episode, maybe killing Leslie Emory and then going after Ricks' Cleo (Mitchell).

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

Holly Hudson from "The Look"

Charlie from "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" (not as a real kahuna though)

J. "Digger" Doyle

Elmo and Lexi Ziller

Nuzo from "Did You See the Sunrise?" (out for revenge)

Keoki - I would like to have seen a follow up to "I Witness"

Tracy Spencer from "Legacy From a Friend" (My favorite of the "annoying" sidekicks)

Linda Andrews from "One Picture is Worth" (I think she worked really well with Magnum)

Han Quing from "Forty" (Funny and colorful side character)

Margo Perina from "Italian Ice" (Of all of the love interests, I think she had the most chemistry with TM.)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I love these questions you guys are asking to keep the site interesting and finding out our memebers tastes and opinions.
That being said, my list would include:

J.Digger Doyle
Bibi Kiomani
Margo Perina
Jeannie Lowry
Heather Wilcox

(All for their sex appeal)

And the following actor/actresses for their amazing talent:
Ian McShane
Frank Sinatra
Dennis Haysbert
Stuart Margolin
Sylvia Sidney

BWheelz54
Admiral

#6 Post by BWheelz54 »

I would have loved to see James Wainwright as Morgan Lyden make repeated appearances on the show. Morgan Lyden, in my humble opinion, was the best villain foil that the show stacked up against Magnum. I felt this way because Lyden had such a similar background to Magnum. In fact, I don't remember another episode that gives us more of an insight into what Magnum did in his time in Naval Intelligence following Vietnam as this episode did. Throw in Lyden's twisted sense of honor, and I think you get a villain that develops horribly from the same kind of background that Thomas owns. Some people will do doubt argue that the character of Col. Ivan or Quang Ki might be better villains for Magnum. But for me, it's Lyden, who I saw as Moriarty to Magnum's "Sherlock." Would have loved to have seen that guest star and character make reappearances.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#7 Post by marlboro »

Steve wrote:Jeannie Lowry
Sylvia Sidney
It would be hard to bring her character back (not as hard as bringing back Merlin however) but I would have loved to see Sylvia Sidney back as another character. She and Hillerman were great together.

I would like to have seen more of the "Jeannie Lowry" character, too. I think multiple appearances as a love interest/semi antagonist character would have been interesting. A Catwoman/Batman type relationship.

BWheelz54 wrote:I would have loved to see James Wainwright as Morgan Lyden make repeated appearances on the show. Morgan Lyden, in my humble opinion, was the best villain foil that the show stacked up against Magnum.
Very interesting idea. I like it.

A semi regular crime boss type character would have been interesting, too. A bad guy who may not always be at the center of a case, but has tangential ties to a lot of the dirty dealings going on in the islands. A street level Wo Fat.

ConchRepublican wrote:Buck Gibson
If the final episode had ran 5 seconds longer, I'm convinced a hang glider with a sun bleached skeleton clinging to it would have crashed into the table where the wedding cake and punchbowl were sitting. Wedding guests covered in a huge splash of fruit punch, frosting, and bits of Darren Mcgavin's fake beard. Wedding over. Rick's off the hook. One last "Oh...my...GOD!" from Higgins. Roll the credits.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Milton Collins »

If the final episode had ran 5 seconds longer, I'm convinced a hang glider with a sun bleached skeleton clinging to it would have crashed into the table where the wedding cake and punchbowl were sitting. Wedding guests covered in a huge splash of fruit punch, frosting, and bits of Darren Mcgavin's fake beard. Wedding over. Rick's off the hook. One last "Oh...my...GOD!" from Higgins. Roll the credits.[/quote]

Ha ha haa ha I am DYING laughing, that is one of the best posts ever on here. Absolutely cracking up!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:
If the final episode had ran 5 seconds longer, I'm convinced a hang glider with a sun bleached skeleton clinging to it would have crashed into the table where the wedding cake and punchbowl were sitting. Wedding guests covered in a huge splash of fruit punch, frosting, and bits of Darren Mcgavin's fake beard. Wedding over. Rick's off the hook. One last "Oh...my...GOD!" from Higgins. Roll the credits.
Now THAT'S a visual! Love it!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Milton Collins »

Here's my list:

Erin Wolfe: She would have been great in another one, maybe where someone else was after her and she needed Magnum's help?

J Digger Doyle: A great character who was beautiful and had a solid chemistry with TM, she could have fit very well into one or several more episodes.

Milton Collins: My fav all time villain! If Magnum's shot had just winged him and he had been arrested rather than killed, I would have loved to see another Milton episode where we found out why he was so obsessed with Magnum and how he knew all that creepy information about Magnum's past.

Mad Buck: Great character! I would have liked to have seen him show up for another visit.

Margo Perina: I though Mimi Rogers played this role extremely well and had a good romantic connection with TM. I would have liked to have seen an on and off relationship with the two spanning a few different episodes.

Wilson McLeash: I loved his character! Rich, quirky, and downright wierd! How bout he comes back and this time someone is really after him (which would be very possible as the guy isn't all that likeable the way he treats people lol) and he begs for Magnum's help. Maybe he even gets knocked off and TM tracks down the killer! That wouldv'e made for a fantastic episode.

Valerie Kane: I liked her character (and Colleen Camp he he he) and think she would've been a fun semi regular as a reporter nemesis of Magnum's.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Danno »

Dana Delany
Dana Delany
Dana Delany
Dana Delany

Oh and Dana Delany.

Also Margaret Colin.

Both of them had great chemistry with Selleck and are a pleasure to watch.
I really wish there was more of their characters in the series.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#12 Post by Hawaii Winds »

ConchRepublican wrote:I like this idea. There are a few characters I would have liked to have seen return from time to time. My short list would be:

- Philippe Trusseau & Dan Cook in a flashback episode or three
- Brig. Allistair Ffolkes
- Judge Robert Caine & Diane Pauley
- J. Digger Doyle
- Buck Gibson
- Rod Crysler
- Bibi Kiamani
- Tozan
- Lt. Nolan Page

J. Digger Doyle just my vote, Erin Grey was a hottie back then!

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#13 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Danno wrote:Dana Delany
Dana Delany
Dana Delany
Dana Delany

Oh and Dana Delany.

Also Margaret Colin.

Both of them had great chemistry with Selleck and are a pleasure to watch.
I really wish there was more of their characters in the series.

OOHHHHH...forgot, Dana Delany!!!!!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

Jenny Agutter from season five's Little Games should have returned. I think her Krista Villaroch character did a number on TM's heart. It would have been interesting to have an espionage-type set up in her second appearance.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KingKC »

I know it has been about a year since anyone posted on this thread but I am new and a lot of topics have crossed my mind in the last couple of weeks since I renewed my interest in MPI. I love this website!!!

Here are a few of the guest stars I would have liked to see again: (It would have been nice if some of them had appeared much earlier in the series (or in one case, lived) so they could have been recurring characters)

Frank Sinatra as Michael Doheny
Vic Morrow - Sgt. Jordan
Darren McGavin - Buck Gibson
Dana Delaney - Cynthia Ferrell
Erin Grey - Digger Doyle
Scatman Crothers - Tickler
Annie Potts - Tracy Spencer
Margaret Colin - Connie Northrop
Julie Sommers - Jeannie Lowry
Angela Lansbury - Jessica Fletcher
Jameson Parker and Gerald McCraney - A.J. & Rick Simon

KingKC