Animated gifs?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Animated gifs?

#331 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#332 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#333 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#334 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:51 pm Image
Funny. :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#335 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am Image
Marlboro, T.Q. and Chris,
Thank you so much for sharing these, I really get a kick out of them.
Any chance of doing a Luther Gillis one day, perhaps when Luther knocked out Agatha's chum at her karate class?
If any of you do I will arrange for you to get an autographed copy of Uncle Luther's "So You Wanna Be A Private Eye".
I always thought when TM's and Luther's cellmate Scrung-o was driven by their bickering to attempted suicide was
one of the funniest moments in the series.

By the way, if anyone reading this only knows Sheree North from her turn as Luther's girl, I'll have you
know she was FOX's response/threat to Marilyn Monroe when Monroe started being overly demanding.
Sporting Monroe's exact measurements, the studio promoted North as the "new Monroe" after MM's tragically early death.
She had a nice Broadway, movie and TV career, doing both comedy and drama besides being strikingly beautiful.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joke making the rounds in Ukraine:
A Russian arrives at the Ukrainian border.
The Ukrainian border guard asks, “Name?”
“Dimitri.”
The border guard asks, “Occupation?”
The Russian says, “No, just visiting.”

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#336 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:27 am
marlboro wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am
Any chance of doing a Luther Gillis one day, perhaps when Luther knocked out Agatha's chum at her karate class?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#337 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:19 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:27 am
marlboro wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am
T.Q.
Thanks dad, you're the acme. As soon as I lamped the above I was laughing, it's the ginchiest.
As Kookie would say,
"Sit tight, live right and keep the lamp in the window."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#338 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:04 pm
T.Q.
Thanks dad, you're the acme. As soon as I lamped the above I was laughing, it's the ginchiest.
As Kookie would say,
Didn't understand a word of that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#339 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:52 pm
T.Q.
As Kookie would say,

Dobie grew up at a time when folks talked like that. :wink: :lol:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#340 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:09 pm
T.Q.
As Kookie would say,

I took it to mean...

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#341 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:09 pm
T.Q.
As Kookie would say,

T.Q., Ivan,
Man, if it ain't the Kings English you cats just don't dig.
So drape it dad and I will explain as I'm hip that I'm not talking with a convention of cubes, in fact there ain't a Scooby Do in the bunch here at Magnum Mania.

In the late 50's early 60's there was a street patois in California that was a mix of Beatnik and  California Cool slang.
This was epitomized by actor Edd Byrnes as the ultra cool car hop and later PI "Kookie" on 77 Sunset Strip, whose use of that slang and constant combing of his hair made him a
breakout superstar overnight. Every male under 20 wanted to be like him and every girl wanted him, across the country millions emulated his way of talking.

Fonzie was a pale imitation of Kookie - Happy Days people admitted that - and next to Kookie "The Fonz" was a nerd, in fact next to Edd Byrnes, Henry Winkler was the Nerd King.

Going by media coverage and fan mail, Kookie was the biggest star in the world at the height of  Kookie Mania, even scoring a gold record with Connie Stevens, "Kookie, Kookie Lend Me Your Comb."

MeTV Plus has been running 77 Sunset Strip(along with it's sister series Hawaiian Eye) every night and I have been experiencing a bit of Kookie Mania myself, hipping myself to his jive and
getting a kick out of using it on friends/family for fun. Plus many of the words were used by my decade plus older brothers when we lived in Sonoma and thus have always been part of my
vocabulary as 'hand me downs'.

Anyway -

(35) 77 Sunset Strip - Magnum Mania!

Kookie Jive versus The King's English

Antsville = A busy joint.
Buttons = Detectives.
Ceiling Zero = Tired. Kookie to Stu -"You look absolutely ceiling zero."
Chick in skins = Rich babe bedecked in furs
Cube = a square(nerd)
Cool 88's = Piano (jazz)
Dark seven = a bad week
Dig = understand
Do the I do bit = Make with the invocation jazz. Get married.
Drape it Dad = Sit down, pal.
Deamsville = Sleep.
George's pad. = Washington DC
Germsville = The hospital
Ginchiest = Way cool.
Heels on fire = In a hurry.
I lamped him = Saw him.
I swear by our leader Mort Sahl = Solemn oath.
King's Jive = King's English
Lighting up the tilt sign = Not on the level
Long green = large denominations of paper money
Mushroom People = Their party doesn't start till deepest night to dawn.
Nervous = Cool.
No tilt = On the level.
Nudging up to oblivion = In danger of dying.
Piling up the Z's = Went to sleep.
Quo Vadis, Pater? = What's up, Dad?
Reet = Right
Scooby Do - A square driving the speed limit in a souped up car.

Sh-boom - Great (updated 'The Bomb'). Also means 'I got lucky, twice!' derived from 'she bang, she bang'. Kookie uses it in both senses, depending.
So now you know the whole shebang as to what The Chords 1954 hit "Sh-Boom" was really about.

Skizziest = Even cooler than ginchiest.
Smog-in the Noggin' = Losing memory
Square = A nerd.
Squeeze Bossy = Add milk to my coffee.
Stable the horses = Park the car.
Stiff City = corpse
Tax deduction = Spouse.
T.T.T.S. = Take two they're small
That doesn't beat any bongos = Doesn't ring any bells.
They're dividing Gaul into 3 parts again = There's trouble!
Turns tired iron = Sells used cars.
Uncle Sol = The sun.
Washingtons = Dollars
When sharing a Roman pad, you gotta make their scene = When in Rome, do as the Romans do
Ya got the 60's? = Do you have a few hours to spare?
Your're the Acme, Dad. = The best.

"Sit tight, live right and keep the lamp in the window"...Kookie bidding adieu

Bonus:
Order breakfast like Kookie so no one will mistake you for a cube:
"I'll have a order of Cackleberries with two oinks and a haystack, java and squeeze Bossy."
Translation:
Give me scrambled eggs, 2 link sausages and hash browns, plus coffee with milk.

Fleet Admiral

#342 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:59 am Fonzie was a pale imitation of Kookie - Happy Days people admitted that - and next to Kookie "The Fonz" was a nerd, in fact next to Edd Byrnes, Henry Winkler was the Nerd King.
Eh, sorry dad. But nobody can beat the Fonz. Eeeeeeeeehhh...... 8)

The Fonz didn't even need to comb his hair. It was never out of place. That's how cooooool the Fonz was. :wink: So sit on it!

Fleet Admiral

#343 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Actually I'm pretty hip to this "Kookie" lingo too because some of it actually made its way into my all-time favorite show - Hawaii Five-O. Especially the first season! I'm immediately thinking of my all-time favorite baddie Big Chicken (Gavin MacLeod) whose beatnik/peacenik/flower-power lingo still puts a huge grin on my face every single time! His back-and-forths with McGarrett were legendary! Forget Wo Fat. He's got nothin' on Big Chicken! Then there was that cool cat Jerry Parks (Sam Melville) from "Tiger by the Tail" (also season 1) whose "dig it" and "bay-bee" and "groovy" and "flip me" and "dig, baby, dig" is the stuff of legend! There was plenty of that in the inaugural season of Five-O. That's why I love that first season so much. As the 70s rolled around this lingo largely disappeared. Sure, there was still the usual "fuzz" and "pigs" and whatnot thrown around but the lingo wasn't as "far-out-daddy-o" as during the first season. Flower power, hippies, Vietnam War, etc.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#344 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:29 am Actually I'm pretty hip to this "Kookie" lingo too because some of it actually made its way into my all-time favorite show - Hawaii Five-O. Especially the first season! I'm immediately thinking of my all-time favorite baddie Big Chicken (Gavin MacLeod) whose beatnik/peacenik/flower-power lingo still puts a huge grin on my face every single time! His back-and-forths with McGarrett were legendary! Forget Wo Fat. He's got nothin' on Big Chicken! Then there was that cool cat Jerry Parks (Sam Melville) from "Tiger by the Tail" (also season 1) whose "dig it" and "bay-bee" and "groovy" and "flip me" and "dig, baby, dig" is the stuff of legend! There was plenty of that in the inaugural season of Five-O. That's why I love that first season so much. As the 70s rolled around this lingo largely disappeared. Sure, there was still the usual "fuzz" and "pigs" and whatnot thrown around but the lingo wasn't as "far-out-daddy-o" as during the first season. Flower power, hippies, Vietnam War, etc.
And IIRC, Danno would occasionally throw some hip speak into the conversation to make it look like he was part of the 'in' crowd. Kind of reminded me of the Sanford and Son cops. The white guy (Officer 'Hoppy' Hopkins or Officer 'Swanny' Swanhouser) would speak police jargon, then Fred would look
at the black guy (Officer 'Smitty' Smith) for interpretation. It seemed like Danno played that same kind of interpreter. But, it's been a while.

Fleet Admiral

#345 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:17 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:29 am Actually I'm pretty hip to this "Kookie" lingo too because some of it actually made its way into my all-time favorite show - Hawaii Five-O. Especially the first season! I'm immediately thinking of my all-time favorite baddie Big Chicken (Gavin MacLeod) whose beatnik/peacenik/flower-power lingo still puts a huge grin on my face every single time! His back-and-forths with McGarrett were legendary! Forget Wo Fat. He's got nothin' on Big Chicken! Then there was that cool cat Jerry Parks (Sam Melville) from "Tiger by the Tail" (also season 1) whose "dig it" and "bay-bee" and "groovy" and "flip me" and "dig, baby, dig" is the stuff of legend! There was plenty of that in the inaugural season of Five-O. That's why I love that first season so much. As the 70s rolled around this lingo largely disappeared. Sure, there was still the usual "fuzz" and "pigs" and whatnot thrown around but the lingo wasn't as "far-out-daddy-o" as during the first season. Flower power, hippies, Vietnam War, etc.
And IIRC, Danno would occasionally throw some hip speak into the conversation to make it look like he was part of the 'in' crowd. Kind of reminded me of the Sanford and Son cops. The white guy (Officer 'Hoppy' Hopkins or Officer 'Swanny' Swanhouser) would speak police jargon, then Fred would look
at the black guy (Officer 'Smitty' Smith) for interpretation. It seemed like Danno played that same kind of interpreter. But, it's been a while.
Actually it wasn't police jargon that Hoppy/Swanny were saying to Fred. They were always trying to use black/jive lingo with him. Which made little sense. That's why Smitty had to translate. :lol: Those were always my favorite parts of the show! Like instead of "right on" they might have said "right up" which of course Smitty would then correct. Or instead of "cool" they would say "cold".