Things you DON'T Like About the Show

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Things you DON'T Like About the Show

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok guys, this is just a little too many things you all don't like about the show. It's depressing. Do you really not like all these things? Are you sure? I think you like these things more than you think. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:Image
Now THAT'S funny!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Ok guys, this is just a little too many things you all don't like about the show. It's depressing. Do you really not like all these things? Are you sure? I think you like these things more than you think. :)
I agree with you JJ .... I have avoided this thread because I didn't like the can of worms involved. It gets nit-picky.

There are things you don't like or agree with about people you love, nevermind a TV show that brings you enjoyment. Focus less on the faults and enjoy the show for what it gives you.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Ok guys, this is just a little too many things you all don't like about the show. It's depressing. Do you really not like all these things? Are you sure? I think you like these things more than you think. :)
I agree with you JJ .... I have avoided this thread because I didn't like the can of worms involved. It gets nit-picky.

There are things you don't like or agree with about people you love, nevermind a TV show that brings you enjoyment. Focus less on the faults and enjoy the show for what it gives you.
Aw, come on J.J. and Conch! The thread's been civil and on topic to the utmost. Why grumble about a topic that doesn't interest you? I give a wide berth to threads about the "new" Hawaii Five-0 and all of the watch and ball cap discussions that are of interest to many here, but I don't bemoan their existence. :)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Steve »

marlboro wrote:Image
DUDE!!!! (Stealing from Ghost Hunters) I'm telling you I am sure some sprits are glaring at me!

ConchRepublican

#36 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

Aw, come on J.J. and Conch! The thread's been civil and on topic to the utmost. Why grumble about a topic that doesn't interest you? I give a wide berth to threads about the "new" Hawaii Five-0 and all of the watch and ball cap discussions that are of interest to many here, but I don't bemoan their existence. :)
Of course the topic's been civil, this is the Magnum-Mania forums, it's what we do!

It's just not my thing to have a place I go to talk about a show I love and then talk about the things I don't love about the show I love. It's like making a list of the things my wife does that annoy me. What's the point? It doesn't accomplish anything positive and gives more weight to a negative.

I've commented on some of the specific threads - I never made it through Kiss of the Sabre and am not Carol's biggest fan- but a full thread of "things we don't like about Magnum"? Meh, not my thing.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote:It's just not my thing to have a place I go to talk about a show I love and then talk about the things I don't love about the show I love. It's like making a list of the things my wife does that annoy me. What's the point? It doesn't accomplish anything positive and gives more weight to a negative.
Agreed about one's wife but at least when you criticize Magnum, P.I., you won't have to sleep on the couch!

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#38 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'm agreeing with Conch and The Great One on this.

I keep the topic around for conversations sake, and it hasn't gotten out of hand.. but it comes down to "How many flaws can we point out that could be addressed in the Episode guide".

I'm going to take a different tact to this one.. just for a little Yin and Yang with a new topic.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by 308GUY »

"Things you DON'T Like About the Show"

It ended......................................... :magnum:

"Everything that has a beginning, must have an ending."

I can see points for both sides here, I really don't think that there actually are two sides, just people being people, pointing out things they would have liked to have been different than they were.

Human nature, but I also am in the group that says why bother, there are many things I could point out that I would've liked to have seen different, but there are many more things about the show, the characters, the production, etc., that I like than I don't like.

Starting to sound like a politician, talking out both sides of the mouth, and the longer he talks, the less he says.

I still like the show, watch the show, and enjoy it, faults and all, and will likely never outgrow it. :D

But, carry on, it has been civil and there have been some valid (at least in my mind) points brought up.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by Dave Anderson »

I'm new here (thanks to those who welcomed me in other threads). I happen to be a somewhat negative person in real life, so I always find things that could be (or could have been) better. Maybe its not even negative, just perfectionism. I enjoy airing some of the things that always bothered me about the show, I don't know why. Its not like they can be changed now of course. I just always find things that could be better about anything. Maybe that's why I never got married? I'm glad to find a place to express my opinions about the show. Talking about a 30 year old TV program is not something you normally do with people in everyday life. I've been keeping up some of these feelings (positive and negative) about the show for a long time. Yes, I love the show, that's why I notice some things that could have been even better. Sorry if it bothers some.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

Well, Magnum-Mania is owned by Doc and J.J. so I suppose it's their right to determine what we can or can't discuss. I don't pay a monthly fee for this place's upkeep, which means this site is all on their "dime", so to speak. :)
Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:"Things you DON'T Like About the Show"

It ended......................................... :magnum:

"Everything that has a beginning, must have an ending."

I can see points for both sides here, I really don't think that there actually are two sides, just people being people, pointing out things they would have liked to have been different than they were.

Human nature, but I also am in the group that says why bother, there are many things I could point out that I would've liked to have seen different, but there are many more things about the show, the characters, the production, etc., that I like than I don't like.

Starting to sound like a politician, talking out both sides of the mouth, and the longer he talks, the less he says.

I still like the show, watch the show, and enjoy it, faults and all, and will likely never outgrow it. :D

But, carry on, it has been civil and there have been some valid (at least in my mind) points brought up.
I agree with 308 on this one....that's what a forum is all about and it has been very civil (a given on this site). Let the thread continue and if you don't like the subject matter (i.e. watches, ball cap discussions or negatives about the show) turn the channel sort of speak. There are plenty of threads that I haven't responded to or even opened because the subject matter doesn't interest me, but it does for others and that is great. We are very lucky on MM with the HUGE selection of subjects to discuss, allowing all of us to participate in some form. I like Doc's idea of creating a counter subject to this one - PERFECT, everyone is happy. If you want to defend the show that we all love with a rebuttal to the negatives pointed out that's great too, just keep it Magnum like (civil). MM's sandbox is big enough for all of us to play in without it turning into a litter box :D - thanks JJ and Doc.
P.S. I think we can at least all agree with 308's comment about things we don't like about the show......it ended. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the sand!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#43 Post by Doc Ibold »

Haha,

For the most part, I'm never going to be a "discussion" dictator.. unless someone REALLY gets out of line, and that takes a lot. I just prefer to focus on the positive aspects of the show.

Discussion and debate is all up for grabs here. Magnum does have it's flaws at times, but overall has really stood the test of time!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

I wasn't being serious or anything. I was being facetious. But it is a little too much. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:I wasn't being serious or anything. I was being facetious. But it is a little too much. :)
If we really wanted to go over the top, we could point out the mistakes in every single episode! We could call them "Flubs." Oh wait... :lol: :wink:

~Tom Selleck