Things you DON'T Like About the Show

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Re: Things you DON'T Like About the Show

#61 Post by Frodoleader »

On the other hand, TM is a guy who showed repeatedly that he would risk life and limb for his friends. So it's a tradeoff: you occasionally have to waste some fuel flying a delayed adolescent around the islands, but if you ever need somebody to shoot a Russian in the face he's only a phone call away.[/quote]

Very true marlboro, very true and valid points! :magnum:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I never could stand the set for the KKC. I always thought that such an exclusive club would have better quality furniture. Looks like they got it a K-Mart!

I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#63 Post by marlboro »

I never noticed that before. I guess they were operating under the theory that if you have enough hot women milling about in the background no one will notice your plastic patio furniture. And they were right!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Little Garwood »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I never could stand the set for the KKC. I always thought that such an exclusive club would have better quality furniture. Looks like they got it a K-Mart!

As cheap as that patio furniture looks, I still prefer it and the often windblown set to that even cheaper interior KKC set--the one with the semi-painted brick and white lattice with discarded Christmas lights strewn on it. It IMO brings down the otherwise okay I Witness episode. However, I don't mind the other, similar set (or is it an actual club?) used for Rick's office.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KENJI »

I remember seeing those chairs at Robin's Nest (can't remember what episode).....maybe Higgins negotiated a bulk deal on them for the KKC and picked up a few for the estate. :wink: I agree, not the greatest chair selection for either location. I also agree with Little Garwood on the KKC interior......I know the studio had a budget, but they dropped the ball here. One of my dislikes would be when they filmed a car chase scene and you can see two or three old sets of skid marks right where this particular car is spinning out etc. from another take. Magnum wasn't the only show that did this and yes, I get that it takes considerable time to set up a shot so finding fresh pavement is not an option, but it always took away something from the scene. One thing that drove me crazy watching many other shows back then was when they would show a car flipping over, crashing etc. and you can see the roll bars inside the stunt car, to me that was a blown shot! Don't show that close-up, pan out, add some more black material to the cage so it blends in more. Magnum may have been guilty of that on the odd occasion, but I can't think of one at the moment, maybe someone else can.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#66 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:
Mrs. Higgins wrote:I never could stand the set for the KKC. I always thought that such an exclusive club would have better quality furniture. Looks like they got it a K-Mart!

As cheap as that patio furniture looks, I still prefer it and the often windblown set to that even cheaper interior KKC set--the one with the semi-painted brick and white lattice with discarded Christmas lights strewn on it. It IMO brings down the otherwise okay I Witness episode. However, I don't mind the other, similar set (or is it an actual club?) used for Rick's office.
I agree
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Jayman76
Ensign

#67 Post by Jayman76 »

I was probably slightly too young to remember the first time round, but being such a huge fan of all the shows of the 80s and recently Rewatching, all the Knight Rider episodes I started watching the ITV4 reruns of Magnum
I love the feel of the show and the music just like Knight Rider, they don’t make them like this anymore, but I have to say the one thing that has been really irritating me is the way that Magnum acts so childish and always throws tantrums with Higgins
I’ve been close to stop watching the series because of it and I’m on season five and he seems to be doing it more often
I only caught it during season four, so I feel like maybe I missed the best seasons
I’m currently watching Kiss of the sabre and he is constantly shouting and getting irritable all the time

It’s hardly the temperament for a private investigator

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Jayman76 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:38 pm I was probably slightly too young to remember the first time round, but being such a huge fan of all the shows of the 80s and recently Rewatching, all the Knight Rider episodes I started watching the ITV4 reruns of Magnum
I love the feel of the show and the music just like Knight Rider, they don’t make them like this anymore, but I have to say the one thing that has been really irritating me is the way that Magnum acts so childish and always throws tantrums with Higgins
I’ve been close to stop watching the series because of it and I’m on season five and he seems to be doing it more often
I only caught it during season four, so I feel like maybe I missed the best seasons
I’m currently watching Kiss of the sabre and he is constantly shouting and getting irritable all the time

It’s hardly the temperament for a private investigator
Believe it or not, that was also the biggest reason why I initially couldn't get into MPI. I guess I was used to more serious dramas. At the time I was a big "24" fan (a pretty grim show) and also when it comes to Hawaii I was a huge fan (and still am) of the original HAWAII FIVE-O, which is a serious by-the-book detective/cop procedural. No hi-jinx to be found there. So when I tried to get into MPI because it was another Hawaii-based show and because I loved all things 80s (Knight Rider was a childhood favorite) I had a hard time getting past all the bickering nonsense between Magnum and Higgins. Two grown men acting so childish, over absolutely inconsequential matters. The whole thing seemed to be so forced to me. Like the writers kept going "let's see what these 2 can bicker about today". I also I remember thinking that Magnum's cases seemed so tedious and unexciting. Compared to Five-O anyway, where they had some serious criminals to contend with.

But after seeing a few of the more serious and darker episodes ("Did You See the Sunrise?" took me by complete surprise) I really started warming to the show. And before long the characters became like an extended family to me. Magnum, Higgy, TC, Rick. And Hawaii and Robin's Nest in particular became like my dream getaway - the most awesome and laid-back spot on earth. I visited Hawaii back in 2008, before I got into the show (I was a huge Five-O fan then). But then I visited again in 2018 and this time I made sure to swim in the tidal pool at Robin's Nest. Man, what an awesome experience that was! The house was already gone by then but they hadn't started building yet so the rear gate and all the sea walls were still there like they were on the show.

So now I love the show and I see the bickering between Mag and Higgy as part of the show's charm. It doesn't bother me anymore. I can appreciate the light-hearted episodes as well as the more serious ones. If it helps you can view the silly episodes as comedies instead of dramas. That way you don't have to rationalize why a PI is acting like a kid. You can't take it too seriously. To be sure, in the more serious episodes he doesn't act this way. In fact Magnum and Higgins show great concern for one another in the more serious episodes and definite act "grown up".