"How To Be A World Class Private Investigator" - List?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Turkey
Admiral

Re: "How To Be A World Class Private Investigator" - List?

#31 Post by Turkey »

ENSHealy wrote:
yes, he first mentions "work the lock" in the pilot episode when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he is trying to get into the Ferrari.
And later he repeats it as he's trying to break in to Captain Cooly's office while Alice and Ensign Healy are coming up in the elevator. "Don't look at the elevator, work the lock...you looked at the elevator!"
:lol:
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#32 Post by Turkey »

Any one else picked up a rule or two lately? :)
Make it two weeks.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by ENSHealy »

Turkey wrote:Any one else picked up a rule or two lately? :)
Here's what I've found so far:

1.6 Skin Deep
Magnum references “what every private investigator
manual tells you on page one” but doesn’t actually mention writing his book.

2.7 Tropical Madness
When I write my book on how to be a world class private investigator, I'm going to include two rules on how to tail a car. 'The first is, when you choose a nondescript car for tailing, 'don't pick one so nondescript it's obvious. 'The guys following my new friend were so unnoticeable,
it was like they had a red flag on the hood. 'The second rule is, don't get so busy tailing, you forget to look behind you. 'These yo-yos had no idea I was behind them.

2.10 The Taking of Dick
No reference to the book but Rule 1 and Rule 2 in Kidnapping cases cited: Rule one in kidnapping cases;
Always call the police. Rule 2 in kidnapping cases; Never call the police. The truth is, you flip a coin and
take your chances.

2.13 Jororo Kill
I know what you're thinking. I was swimming when I should have been working. Well, you've neglected an important rule of investigation. Don't take things at face value. Though I may have appeared to be loafing, serious work was in progress.

There's an old rule in this business, anger doesn't win. And at the moment I'd had a belly full of it. So, before I faced Kate again, all I wanted to do was cool down and figured the best way to do it was at the club with Rick.

2.15 Try To Remember
'If there's one thing I'm really good at, it's nailing a tail. 'See, first I make like I'm trying to rabbit. 'Then I look for an inconspicuous hiding place and duck into it. 'And wait. It always works.

2.20 The Last Page
Contrary to popular opinion, private investigation is a very dreary business. Endless stakeouts, tailings, and tedious detail work are the rule. That is, most of the time. Every once in a while, it's pure luck.

3.11 Almost Home
There's another cardinal rule a good private investigator follows. Don't try telling a client something
she doesn't want to hear. lt never works. Sometimes you've just gotta let people go. lf they want to tilt at windmills, let 'em tilt.

3.14 The Arrow That is Not Aimed
Nevertheless, working rule number 23 of my yet-to-be-written hand book on how to be a private investigator dictates that you must go through the motions. You never know, you could get lucky. Of course, so could the Cubs.
Working rule number 35 stipulates: always enter strange hotel rooms with caution, especially strange hotel rooms with samurai warriors in them. Of course, the last samurai l saw was in a Toshirô Mifune movie.

3.16 Birdman of Budapest
A private investigator should never get stiffed by a deadbeat.

3.17 I Do?
When I write my book on how to be an ace private investigator, one of the first chapters is going to be on family squabbles. There's a thousand variations but the MacKenzies were a classic combination of money, power and sibling rivalry. A pretty potent mix. The nice thing about cases like these, though, was how easily they unraveled once you find the right thread to pull. Nine times out of ten, everything boiled down to ruffled feathers and hot air.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Turkey
Admiral

#34 Post by Turkey »

Awesome, heaps of these we hadn't added to the thread yet, thanks :)
Make it two weeks.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: 3.11 Almost Home
There's another cardinal rule a good private investigator follows. Don't try telling a client something
she doesn't want to hear. lt never works. Sometimes you've just gotta let people go. lf they want to tilt at windmills, let 'em tilt.
I managed to miss two of the three rules TM enumerated in Almost Home. Here are the other two:

Being a private investigator's pretty flexible. But there are a few cardinal rules we always try and follow. First, talk money right up front. Second, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it, regardless of the money. Now, with Bridget, l'd blown both rules. We hadn't settled on a fee, and she was pretty weird. But she had guts and a decent story, which makes up for a lot, and brings me to a personal rule - never count on anything, especially rules.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote: 3.11 Almost Home
I managed to miss two of the three rules TM enumerated in Almost Home. Here are the other two:

Being a private investigator's pretty flexible. But there are a few cardinal rules we always try and follow. First, talk money right up front. Second, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it, regardless of the money. Now, with Bridget, l'd blown both rules. We hadn't settled on a fee, and she was pretty weird. But she had guts and a decent story, which makes up for a lot, and brings me to a personal rule - never count on anything, especially rules.
ENSHealy,
Neat! If someone ever writes the definitive book on Magnum PI they should source your stuff. Thank you.
Now if only someone would start a thread on -
'So You Want To Be a Private Eye' by Luther Gillis.
Lloyd DeWitt's 'Private Investigative Techniques in the Computer Age: Software and You'.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ENSHealy »

Here's a compilation of Season 3's private investigator rules: https://vimeo.com/382695919
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:Here's a compilation of Season 3's private investigator rules: https://vimeo.com/382695919
Thank you pal, I quite liked that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ENSHealy wrote:Here's a compilation of Season 3's private investigator rules: https://vimeo.com/382695919
Thanks very much. I loved that. When John Hillerman died, I was moved to start compiling a best of reel on my Mac. It turned out to be so much work I finally gave up, so I know how much time these things take.

This thread is a joy. Thanks everyone.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by ENSHealy »

Thank you, Styles. In case you missed it, there's a full list of Season 3 video compilations in the Season 3 General Discussion thread: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=13

There are also similar links for Season 1: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 4&start=15

and Season 2: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 45&start=8

in those General Discussion threads. Hope you have as much fun watching as I did putting them together.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ENSHealy wrote:Thank you, Styles. In case you missed it, there's a full list of Season 3 video compilations in the Season 3 General Discussion thread: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=13

There are also similar links for Season 1: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 4&start=15

and Season 2: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 45&start=8

in those General Discussion threads. Hope you have as much fun watching as I did putting them together.
Fantastic stuff!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.