Favourite Higgins Moment?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Favourite Higgins Moment?

#16 Post by 308GUY »

Again in "Birdman", already mentioned, but in particular, the scene where JQH is leaning against the tree gasping for breath making the screeching squeeling cry of what I think he says is the mating call of the Peregrine Falcon. Obviously looking for a way to be rid of "Ms. Barrett"!

Cracks me up every time I see it! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by steveadl »

MHTR wrote:The Higgins moment from Tropical Madness was also one of my favorites.

I believe the exact quote was "My dear (not darling), you look ravishing. Ha, ha. A little champagne?"
Yup definitely one of my favourites as well. Every time I watch that episode it cracks me up and I replay it 3 times before proceeding with the episode :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:I think I said this in another thread, but I love the scene in Dead Man's Channel where Higgins keeps hearing the Kudu buck on the estate and Magnum pretends he doesn't hear anything. Higgins looks of self-doubt is priceless. Then he passes on having a glass of whisky with Magnum feeling the one he had earlier might actually be the reason for him hearing the sounds. Great scene!
The Kudu buck sub-plot is my favourite in the entire show. His reaction cracks me up every time. Audio here.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Turkey
Admiral

#19 Post by Turkey »

Just watched the Tropical Madness scene - that laugh in between is awesome!

(love the Kudu buck scene too)
Make it two weeks.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#20 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I think I said this in another thread, but I love the scene in Dead Man's Channel where Higgins keeps hearing the Kudu buck on the estate and Magnum pretends he doesn't hear anything. Higgins looks of self-doubt is priceless. Then he passes on having a glass of whisky with Magnum feeling the one he had earlier might actually be the reason for him hearing the sounds. Great scene!
The Kudu buck sub-plot is my favourite in the entire show. His reaction cracks me up every time. Audio here.

Me too! Absolutely. The scene in the study where Magnum describes the goat as Higgins describes the Kudu buck is also really good, as is the scene where he shows up with it in the front seat of the Ferrari and it starts eating the plants. His client is convinced she has the wrong guy. Even the name Horace is great. Really solid.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Steve »

RACK EM UP, HUBERT! Luther Gillis: File #001.....I still shout that out if I am shooting pool.........

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GUY »

Not sure if this qualifies or not, but for me, it IS a "Higgins moment" for sure.

No dialogue or interaction with other characters, just Higgy baby showing his inner most "self".

The scene in "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" (8.1) where TM has just come out of his coma and Higgins runs from the sick room down the hall to announce to the rest of his friends that he has come back, and is in fact NOT been taken from us as was feared and suspected.

It's all in JQH's expression changes...another example (to me, at least) of Hillerman's superb acting ability.

You can see the surprise, the exhilaration, the glee, the sheer joy in his face, then the sensible Englishman's composure return, with a hint of pride, that he gets to be the one to deliver the fantastic revelation!

For me, it exemplifies how Higgins really feels about TM. Exposes the fact that he truly cares about him as not only a friend, but as a member of his adopted extended family, a brother in arms.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

At any rate, I like it!

Yaknow.....they say you can't really separate what is being observed from the one who is observing it. That is one of the reasons "eye witness" testimony is often so varied between multiple observers of the same event. Case in point...."I Witness" (ep.4.21)

:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#23 Post by Doc Ibold »

308GUY wrote:Not sure if this qualifies or not, but for me, it IS a "Higgins moment" for sure.

No dialogue or interaction with other characters, just Higgy baby showing his inner most "self".

The scene in "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" (8.1) where TM has just come out of his coma and Higgins runs from the sick room down the hall to announce to the rest of his friends that he has come back, and is in fact NOT been taken from us as was feared and suspected.

It's all in JQH's expression changes...another example (to me, at least) of Hillerman's superb acting ability.

You can see the surprise, the exhilaration, the glee, the sheer joy in his face, then the sensible Englishman's composure return, with a hint of pride, that he gets to be the one to deliver the fantastic revelation!

For me, it exemplifies how Higgins really feels about TM. Exposes the fact that he truly cares about him as not only a friend, but as a member of his adopted extended family, a brother in arms.

At any rate, I like it!

Yaknow.....they say you can't really separate what is being observed from the one who is observing it. That is one of the reasons "eye witness" testimony is often so varied between multiple observers of the same event. Case in point...."I Witness" (ep.4.21)

You completely hit on it... I cannot believe I forgot that one. That's easily my #1 moment.

Turkey
Admiral

#24 Post by Turkey »

I agree with Doc, great analysis 308GUY, that's a killer scene and yeah, it's all about his facial expression(s), so much going on there.
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#25 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Not sure if this qualifies or not, but for me, it IS a "Higgins moment" for sure.

At any rate, I like it!

I agree totally.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Steve »

At any rate, I like it!

Yep, I have to agree with the others, you found the one scene that so many of us found touching and telling.....I say, jolly good job 308!

midnightx
Commander

#27 Post by midnightx »

At any rate, I like it!

Fantastic scene. One of the best moments in the whole series.

Another favorite of mine is from Season 1's "Thicker Than Blood" where Higgins finally having the chance to rid himself of Magnum's presence from the estate later realizes what lengths Magnum went to save TC and creates a contrived and fake excuse (inventory) to allow Magnum to stay on the estate out of an unspoken respect and admiration for what Magnum did. "Well, then I'm afraid you will just have to stay."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

midnightx wrote:

At any rate, I like it!

Another favorite of mine is from Season 1's "Thicker Than Blood" where Higgins finally having the chance to rid himself of Magnum's presence from the estate later realizes what lengths Magnum went to save TC and creates a contrived and fake excuse (inventory) to allow Magnum to stay on the estate out of an unspoken respect and admiration for what Magnum did. "Well, then I'm afraid you will just have to stay."
An excellent addition to the list.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#29 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:
midnightx wrote:

At any rate, I like it!

An excellent addition to the list.
Agreed. There are just so many!

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#30 Post by Lindsay Writer »

I'm watching part 2 of Did You See The Sunrise on Cozi TV and Higgins has a great moment after Magnum leaves to go watch Stalag 17 (TM realizes William Holden is the key to the mystery) so
Higgins continues telling the story of how he helped build the Bridge on the River Kwai but he tells the story to the lads!

Higgins: "Ah well, he must be bushed. You'll enjoy this story lads"... and he continues telling the story to Zeus and Apollo! :)