Ideas to Expand the Magnumverse?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

BWheelz54
Admiral

Ideas to Expand the Magnumverse?

#1 Post by BWheelz54 »

I fear that Universal has done such a good job sitting on and protecting their Magnum, PI rights over the years that we have missed a chance to see the show expand or return in any way. However, I was wondering what might be done if Universal loosened its Magnum, PI grip and allowed the world of Magnum, PI to expand a bit into different types of merchandise and formats. Here are some thoughts I had to as to how some new life might get pumped into Magnum PI without a new movie or television show.

First off, a tip of my hat to the Rubber Chicken Guide of locations and the great blueprints for the Robin’s Nest found on the site. I’ve really enjoyed both of those projects and am wowed by the skill and effort in them. Also, I think the comic book proposal I have seen around and the Lego proposal are also very cool. Those are the kinds of things I mean by expanding the Magnum world. Great ways for us to continue to share and enjoy the show.

Here are a few ideas I came up with as to how this Magnumverse might get expanded. Would love to hear others’ thoughts or ideas as well. I just think this kind of conjecture is very fun from time to time, so here are my ideas.

1 - First, I think we need a really kick-butt DVD package of all the Magnum episodes. I mean something with some goodies and extras that us Magnum fanatics would really enjoy. Maybe we could interest some of the actors or other folks to perhaps provide some interviews about their time on Magnum. Maybe they could do one of those “voice-overs” through maybe the two part pilot, or on one of their favorites. Maybe some behind the scenes kinda pics of storyboards or of original script ideas, etc. Lets get the DVDs repackaged together with some supplemental material that enhances the shows. I would pay the price tag for this. Because I am a Magnum nut.

I also think the premium DVD issue should give you a choice on a very special trinket or goodie of your choice based on a character. For example, if you choose Higgins, maybe you get a replica polo shirt, or maybe a picture of Queen Elizabeth. If you pick TC, maybe you get some suspenders and an Island Hopper shirt and full page newspaper advertisement. If you pick Rick, maybe you get a drink shaker with the club logo branded on it, or a special menu from the club. And the choices would be so many for Thomas - out of tons of choices I kinda get an idea to do maybe a special “dog-eared” soft-cover copy of Dashiell Hammett’s The Maltese Falcon, with notes in the margins that Thomas had made over the years, referencing famous cases from the episodes, along with some cases we never see? MAYBE the coolest DVD box set comes with a replica Magnum team ring - you know, so us Magnum maniacs can recognize one another in the streets!

2 - Magnum PI, the Video Game - I would love to play an open-world, sandbox video game set in Hawaii during the eighties featuring the character of Magnum PI. Fill it with 80s music and news. Think of all the cars a player could drive. Think of the helicopters and planes to fly - you could even guide a paraglider around in chase of Mad Buck Gibson! Think of all the boats you could captain. I think this game could be like Grand Theft Auto as far as play mechanics, but it wouldn’t be nasty and mean like Grand Theft Auto. You could play all the characters. With Higgins, you could even go back in time and complete missions based on his journal entries. There could be sneaky missions. There could be gunfights. There could be dog training. There could be problem solving for the cases. You could uncover special artifacts throughout the islands to add to Mr. Masters’ collection. This could be a game brimming with cool things to do. Growing up in the eighties, I am sad to say that I remain addicted to those dang video games, and let’s not forget that Thomas himself enjoyed a good video game on Robin Masters’ computer from time to time.

3 - How about a podcast? Maybe there could be a podcast featuring Thomas in new cases. These podcasts you find out on the web remind me of older radio shows. Perhaps a podcast could get the characters back out there. Though the time may be gone for Mr. Selleck to reprise his role, maybe we could live with it better if a new actor voiced him in a podcast? A podcast might also be very fun for Higgins. I like to imagine a podcast where you listen to one of Higgins’ old adventures with all the glory and music of those older radio presentations.

So, there are my first three ideas before I get going too long again at my keyboard. I really enjoy just imagining a return to Magnum from time to time, and I do get a thrill of sharing ideas. Thanks again all. :higgins:

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ideas to Expand the Magnumverse?

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Terrific post BWHEELZ54 :D

Love your enthusiasm and obvious love and affection for the show :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

I like the idea, but money makes the world go round, so unless and until you can get a few independently wealthy investors involved, will be a rough row to hoe. If you could get enough people on board to present "proof" that it could turn a profit at some point, you might even get Larry Manetti interested, as he seems to be the most inclined to keep the ball rolling, as long as it sheds cash along the way. :magnum:

Maybe get ahold of the people who are doing this: http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

See how they got started.

I've watched a couple of their productions. It's not "quite" the same as the original, but if you refrain from judging and actually give it a chance, it's very acceptable, at least to me. After watching for a while, you don't even mind so much that it doesn't involve the people you expect to see. Spock needs some work, but all in all, it has the "feel" of the original, and I imagine if they keep doing it, it will get better.

Just a thought.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

midnightx
Commander

#4 Post by midnightx »

BWheelz54 wrote:I fear that Universal has done such a good job sitting on and protecting their Magnum, PI rights over the years that we have missed a chance to see the show expand or return in any way.
I am happy that Magnum was not remade as a new network series, or given a film treatment (without the original cast). Look at how Hawaii 5-0 was turned upside down with the television remake? Modern network television action/drama series all contain the same cliches and approach to filming that are mostly inferior to what came before. All of the charm, charisma, special nuances, lack of popular culture controlling creative direction, etc. that make Magnum so special would be absent; particularly if it were done on network television. If a cable network was given a shot at recreating the series, it would have more potential. But again, it would never be the same, and likely not be an improvement. Robin's Nest would likely not be filmed at the Anderson Estate. The main characters would probably be completely revamped like Hawaii 5-0. The personalities would be completely different. It would essentially be a new show, with new characters, and new locations only sharing a title.

O-M-G
Lieutenant

#5 Post by O-M-G »

just a thought as to the money thing...how about kickstarter? i have been reading where folks have raised hundreds of thousands for all sorts of projects...from documentaries to novels they self-published to musical releases...again, just a thought.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#6 Post by BWheelz54 »

Super points all. Hey Midnight, I think you ring very, very true. I wonder if some ideas for expanding something in the world of Magnum PI might make the best of the situation - say a show all about Higgins, maybe called "The Queen's Man." I only like to imagine. I am often very interested in the Kickstarter stories, but I wonder if one would still have to go through Universal to get the rights before doing any kind of Kickstarter? Afraid I just do not know enough about that law talking stuff. I really don't see any of these ideas as very practical, or very realistic to be achieved. I only like bouncing ideas around. I probably spend way too much time in my imagination. Great to hear super thoughts. :higgins:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Midnightx,
I think your comments are right on the money. Just as they altered the new Hawaii 5-0,
can you imagine what they'd do to Magnum? They would make them Iraq War vets, with Rosie O'Donnell as Magnum, Rick played by Justin Bieber, Larry the Cable Guy as TC and Beyonce as Higgins.
As Magnum's wife Michelle, Sarah Palin would be perfect in a bit of stunt casting.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

Great post, BWheelz54.

I have always wanted a beautifully produced, large format Magnum, P.I. coffee table book with rare images, interviews, location guides, making of information, early drafts... all that sort of good stuff.

I'd imagine a limited, hand numbered edition signed by the main cast as well.

One can dream. :cry:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#9 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

I like 308Guys fan production idea. The Trekkies are fanatical far beyond Magnum fans. So they have a larger fan pool to draw from. But I'd love to cameo in a fan produced mini episode. Of course, you'll notice they take years to actually put together because they're, well, made by amateurs.