Selleck

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate resident
Captain

Selleck

#1 Post by Estate resident »

MPI has a class that simply doesn't exist in today's television world. I mention because I simply cannot watch today's absolutely terrible telrvision. Even TV Land's original shows are classless, crude & plotless crap. Watching MPI is my escape to a time when tv and society itself conducted themselves w/ some degree of class which IMO was in no small part influenced by shows like MPI.

If we ever needed a show like MPI its now. Although Hawaii Five'O is making an attempt. But it'll never have guest stars like Leslie Uggams, Carol Burnett, Eugene Roche, Sheree North, Mad Buck Gibson, Ernest Borgnine, etc., etc., etc..

I truly feel sorry for kids today - "music" originating from a government housing project basement, plastic disposible celebrities, (0) artistic integrity, a morslly bankrupt society which values idiots who are psid millions to temporarily play an over-commercialized sport. Jeez I wish I had a time machine.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Selleck

#2 Post by Stelth »

I agree completely. I watch very little current TV. Most of what I watch are reruns of classic shows. I feel the same way about movies. I can't believe how many "adults" are captivated by movies about giant robots, monsters, or superheroes. I wouldn't sit through the any of that crap for love or money.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sisophous »

I have over 700 cable channels and lately I can't find anything worthwhile to watch at night on TV. So, I have been going to my Magnum P.I. discs. I have been watching an episode every night for the past two weeks because the programs on TV are such garbage.

I watched Black on White last night and it was funny seeing Magnum and Higgins quarantined together in the same room for five days.

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#4 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

Magnum PI was very much a product of its time. It was a reaction to the turmoil of the 60s that became the hedonism of the 70s. It was a cultural and television way point on a trend line towards a more conservative era. You have to remember the cold war was still very much a political and cultural fact of life. And yet, it definitely relied on a healthy dose of nostalgia for its success. The Vietnam War back story, Higgins' history, TC's success, Rick's failures, Magnum's retirement from an ultra responsible warrior to a slacker with style were all in some way a look back or an attempt to overcome. That very much describes the 80s and the Reagan presidency.

We're in a-whole-nother world today. And that's why I love to watch Magnum. It's like returning to a simpler time or at least a time with predictable standards of behavior. But it's also why the Magnum movie will probably never get made. The prized demographic doesn't remember that time, much less care.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#5 Post by Tralfaz »

Estate resident wrote:
If we ever needed a show like MPI its now. Although Hawaii Five'O is making an attempt. But it'll never have guest stars like Leslie Uggams, Carol Burnett, Eugene Roche, Sheree North, Mad Buck Gibson, Ernest Borgnine, etc., etc., etc..
Um... Carol played McGarrett's aunt.

:)
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'd think most here would be in full agreement with you.

While there is TV out there I like (Walking Dead is my only "must watch as it's televised", I also enjoy White Collar, Blue Bloods, Person of Interest, 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, The Goldbergs, Arrow, Agents of Shield although Hawaii Five O is starting to lose ground) I find my interests dwindling. That list is longer than I expected it to be, but many on there I don't really feel strongly about, more they are something to watch.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Estate resident
Captain

#7 Post by Estate resident »

Imagine how incredible it'd be to win the lottery & buy/refurbish Robin's Nest & operate a B&B specializing in "Magnum For A Day" 3-day vacations complete w/ an early 80's 308gtb & an Island Hoppers helo giving aerial tours. It'd be easy to recreate the look & feel. Maybe even having the guests help "solve" a case in a scavenger-type clue hunt all over oahu.

Just a thought.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Estate resident wrote:Imagine how incredible it'd be to win the lottery & buy/refurbish Robin's Nest & operate a B&B specializing in "Magnum For A Day" 3-day vacations complete w/ an early 80's 308gtb & an Island Hoppers helo giving aerial tours. It'd be easy to recreate the look & feel. Maybe even having the guests help "solve" a case in a scavenger-type clue hunt all over oahu.

Just a thought.
Hmm...sounds familiar :D