Funniest episode sub-plot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lindsay Writer
Commander

Funniest episode sub-plot

#1 Post by Lindsay Writer »

For me the two funniest sub-plots were when TM got TC to tune up the Ferrari and at the end Higgins asks TC if he is a licensed Ferrari mechanic. Magnum: "You mean you're not a licensed Ferrari mechanic?"

Higgins: "Magnum do you know what it means when you void a warranty?" Magnum: "Kind of."
Higgins: "It means from here on out you are personally responsible for all repairs to the car."

And the other very funny sub-plot was when Higgins said: "You mean you're not the T. Magnum who was on the American bridge team in Brazil in 1970?" and TM said "I never said I was that T. Magnum."

I always wanted to see a sub-plot wager between Magnum and Higgins where the loser had to shave off his mustache. Higgins loses and we see him walk toward the bathroom as if he were walking on death row to the gas chamber with Magnum watching and smiling. And when Higgins shaves half of it off Magnum tells him "Oh sorry Higgins, the truth is you really won our little wager. I lied." Cut to close-up of Higgins staring daggers at Magnum then shouting "Oh, My, God!" freeze frame with his irate furious face with only half a mustache.

This would have been the final episode of the season for realism. Hillerman would have had to shave it all off as soon as the camera stopped rolling. And it would have been fun to see Selleck without a mustache for an episode if he had to lose it to go undercover with a female client like the time he had to pretend to get married if she demanded he lose the mustache that would have been funny.

There were other very funny sub-plots that paid off at the very end so list all of your favorites here.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Funniest episode sub-plot

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Lindsay Writer wrote:For me the two funniest sub-plots were when TM got TC to tune up the Ferrari and at the end Higgins asks TC if he is a licensed Ferrari mechanic. Magnum: "You mean you're not a licensed Ferrari mechanic?"

Higgins: "Magnum do you know what it means when you void a warranty?" Magnum: "Kind of."
Higgins: "It means from here on out you are personally responsible for all repairs to the car."

And the other very funny sub-plot was when Higgins said: "You mean you're not the T. Magnum who was on the American bridge team in Brazil in 1970?" and TM said "I never said I was that T. Magnum."

I always wanted to see a sub-plot wager between Magnum and Higgins where the loser had to shave off his mustache. Higgins loses and we see him walk toward the bathroom as if he were walking on death row to the gas chamber with Magnum watching and smiling. And when Higgins shaves half of it off Magnum tells him "Oh sorry Higgins, the truth is you really won our little wager. I lied." Cut to close-up of Higgins staring daggers at Magnum then shouting "Oh, My, God!" freeze frame with his irate furious face with only half a mustache.

This would have been the final episode of the season for realism. Hillerman would have had to shave it all off as soon as the camera stopped rolling. And it would have been fun to see Selleck without a mustache for an episode if he had to lose it to go undercover with a female client like the time he had to pretend to get married if she demanded he lose the mustache that would have been funny.

There were other very funny sub-plots that paid off at the very end so list all of your favorites here.
Be careful there . . . the mustache is nothing to be trifled with . . . 8)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

My favorite is the goat/kudu buck subplot from Dead Man's Channel. I love when Higgins turns down a drink because Magnum is pretending not to hear anything as the goat bleats. For a moment Higgins seems to be pondering his mental fitness.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

My favorite is the fight Thomas and Higgins have over the remote control airplane in the episode "Distant Relative" from season four. Get a kick out of Agatha flying the role of the Germans and the destruction of Higgins' plane twice in the episode. Before I rediscovered Magnum last year, that fight over the remote control plane was the image of Thomas and Higgins that remained in my brain since I first saw it on television as a kid. But I do think it's a little strange how that very funny subplot is in such a tragic episode relating to the murder of Ric's sister. This is a great post.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#5 Post by Lindsay Writer »

The funniest ending was in Try To Remember when TM is lazying on the hammock and Tanaka shows up and takes Magnum's Tigers baseball cap as a bribe for keeping quiet about the wine poisoning then Higgins shows up and TM asks him "would you like to join my fan club" but Higgins turns the tables by blackmailing Magnum about the wine cellar incident that TM told Higgins about under hypnosis. That was hilarious and Magnum realized he could have told Higgins anything under hypnosis. "But Higgins that's a violation of doctor patient confidentiality or a breach of trust or conflict of interest or something unethical!" Precisely old boy, precisely.

And the other great ending was in Black On White when TC is dying to get TM to find Bibi Kiamani and he doesn't know she's staying at Robin's Nest so Magnum gets TC to cancel his entire gas bill debt then Bibi shouts Hi to TC and waves to him and TC realizes he's been conned and he lunges for Magnum who dives into the water as we hear the sound effect of Higgins playing that hand-held football game this was hilarious.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumILWU »

It's the handheld PAC MAN game from the 80's. You can find them on ebay(TOMYTRONIC)!
"pickled egg please"

ConchRepublican

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote:My favorite is the goat/kudu buck subplot from Dead Man's Channel. I love when Higgins turns down a drink because Magnum is pretending not to hear anything as the goat bleats. For a moment Higgins seems to be pondering his mental fitness.
I agree, this one cracked me up.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

With the 40th Anniversary watch party in effect Pahonu rightly had the idea the revive this thread . . .

So far the winner for me is from Lest We Forget where Higgins thinks Thomas is a former Bridge champion, but it'll be fun rewatching and seeing them all again.
CoziTV Superfan spot

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#9 Post by 80s Big Hair »

7.8 Paper War had a pretty funny subplot that had Magnum and Higgins playing pranks on each other, culminating in Magnum blowing up Higgins' bridge. Higgins also cut off the head of Manum's rubber chicken. I cannot remember the other ones.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:14 pm With the 40th Anniversary watch party in effect Pahonu rightly had the idea the revive this thread . . .

So far the winner for me is from Lest We Forget where Higgins thinks Thomas is a former Bridge champion, but it'll be fun rewatching and seeing them all again.
Thanks Conch!

I agree, the bridge subplot is the funniest so far, followed by TC’s Ferrari repair, and I think, TC getting his dinner jacket “back” too small from Magnum in No Need to Know. Of course, I always enjoy Alice’s many explanations to Higgins about how she and Magnum are related after her lie to get in. It’s funny in retrospect because Higgins seems so stuffy and judgmental about it in the pilot, but we then learn about all his father’s other children!

I have to wait until season two for my favorite!

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 am 7.8 Paper War had a pretty funny subplot that had Magnum and Higgins playing pranks on each other, culminating in Magnum blowing up Higgins' bridge. Higgins also cut off the head of Manum's rubber chicken. I cannot remember the other ones.
These events almost end up being the main plot! I don’t even remember the actual plot? I remember their epic battle so well though!

ConchRepublican

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:57 am
80s Big Hair wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 am 7.8 Paper War had a pretty funny subplot that had Magnum and Higgins playing pranks on each other, culminating in Magnum blowing up Higgins' bridge. Higgins also cut off the head of Manum's rubber chicken. I cannot remember the other ones.
These events almost end up being the main plot! I don’t even remember the actual plot? I remember their epic battle so well though!
Agreed!
CoziTV Superfan spot

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#13 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Having watched Paper War last night I would go as far as saying the main plot was the Magnum/Higgins relationship with the subplot of Magnum investigating a gambling ring being only a vehicle to get Magnum and Higgins trapped in an elevator together where they can kiss and make up. Well, not literally kiss and make up. That would make the episode especially memorable. Nothing was really explained about the gambling ring such as why he would be investigating it. Was he working for Carol? It was also the episode where Magnum announces his Higgins=Robin theory.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am I have to wait until season two for my favorite!
The KUDU BUCK!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Come to think of it, it's probably my all-time favorite too! :)

When I first saw that episode I remember that I didn't care for it EXCEPT for the kudu buck subplot which was great!

Why didn't I care for it? I don't know because I like treasure hunting stories and underwater diving stuff. But for some reason I didn't think it was interesting or suspenseful enough. I liked "Billy Joe Bob" more. But these days I like it much more, I've warmed to it. I especially love the Post/Carpenter score that plays when Magnum is diving. That piece of music is in the audio archives: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Nihoa_Channel.html But I still have a problem with Ina Balin's character at the end being the one who fights with TM underwater and he somehow has a hard time over-powering her. Seriously? He's like a Navy SEAL and she's a university professor who I'm surprised can even dive. Shouldn't she have some henchman tough guy doing all this grunting heavy-duty underwater work, planting explosives, and trying to kill people?? I still find this part really hard to grasp.

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am I have to wait until season two for my favorite!
The KUDU BUCK!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Come to think of it, it's probably my all-time favorite too! :)

When I first saw that episode I remember that I didn't care for it EXCEPT for the kudu buck subplot which was great!

Why didn't I care for it? I don't know because I like treasure hunting stories and underwater diving stuff. But for some reason I didn't think it was interesting or suspenseful enough. I liked "Billy Joe Bob" more. But these days I like it much more, I've warmed to it. I especially love the Post/Carpenter score that plays when Magnum is diving. That piece of music is in the audio archives: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Nihoa_Channel.html But I still have a problem with Ina Balin's character at the end being the one who fights with TM underwater and he somehow has a hard time over-powering her. Seriously? He's like a Navy SEAL and she's a university professor who I'm surprised can even dive. Shouldn't she have some henchman tough guy doing all this grunting heavy-duty underwater work, planting explosives, and trying to kill people?? I still find this part really hard to grasp.
I’ve always liked this one and not only for the kudu buck subplot. I think it’s all the water scenes. The opening scene has a Cal 20 like I’ve sailed on many times and even raced with two friends in the nationals that were held here in Long Beach several years ago. Then there’s Rick hosting all the underworld guys for gambling on the club’s cabin cruiser. I also love the treasure aspect and the diving scenes. I’m PADI certified and I can say as a very big man, that being at depth negates a lot of things including reflex speed and power. Your size and weight are minimized as you’re essentially floating and every movement is slowed by the water. I’m sure Magnum, as a former SEAL was well trained, it’s just different if you haven’t experienced it. Magnum’s use of the knife took advantage of these limitations very cleverly.

I would say that if a university professor’s area of research is oceanic in nature, then they would almost certainly be a diver. It’s no different than professors doing research in the Amazon or some other exotic location. Think Indiana Jones style! :D I took a marine bio class in my last year of college and at the end of the course we went diving in Catalina. The professor and some of the students were certified. Others like myself snorkeled, but it’s the reason I got certified. The professor would spend each summer in Mexico diving and doing research in the Sea of Cortez. I’ll never forget when I took the course he started by showing us the missing tip of his finger that he lost to a trigger fish the previous summer! :shock: