Funniest episode sub-plot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Funniest episode sub-plot

#16 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:40 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am I have to wait until season two for my favorite!
The KUDU BUCK!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Come to think of it, it's probably my all-time favorite too! :)

When I first saw that episode I remember that I didn't care for it EXCEPT for the kudu buck subplot which was great!

Why didn't I care for it? I don't know because I like treasure hunting stories and underwater diving stuff. But for some reason I didn't think it was interesting or suspenseful enough. I liked "Billy Joe Bob" more. But these days I like it much more, I've warmed to it. I especially love the Post/Carpenter score that plays when Magnum is diving. That piece of music is in the audio archives: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Nihoa_Channel.html But I still have a problem with Ina Balin's character at the end being the one who fights with TM underwater and he somehow has a hard time over-powering her. Seriously? He's like a Navy SEAL and she's a university professor who I'm surprised can even dive. Shouldn't she have some henchman tough guy doing all this grunting heavy-duty underwater work, planting explosives, and trying to kill people?? I still find this part really hard to grasp.
I’ve always liked this one and not only for the kudu buck subplot. I think it’s all the water scenes. The opening scene has a Cal 20 like I’ve sailed on many times and even raced with two friends in the nationals that were held here in Long Beach several years ago. Then there’s Rick hosting all the underworld guys for gambling on the club’s cabin cruiser. I also love the treasure aspect and the diving scenes. I’m PADI certified and I can say as a very big man, that being at depth negates a lot of things including reflex speed and power. Your size and weight are minimized as you’re essentially floating and every movement is slowed by the water. I’m sure Magnum, as a former SEAL was well trained, it’s just different if you haven’t experienced it. Magnum’s use of the knife took advantage of these limitations very cleverly.

I would say that if a university professor’s area of research is oceanic in nature, then they would almost certainly be a diver. It’s no different than professors doing research in the Amazon or some other exotic location. Think Indiana Jones style! :D I took a marine bio class in my last year of college and at the end of the course we went diving in Catalina. The professor and some of the students were certified. Others like myself snorkeled, but it’s the reason I got certified. The professor would spend each summer in Mexico diving and doing research in the Sea of Cortez. I’ll never forget when I took the course he started by showing us the missing tip of his finger that he lost to a trigger fish the previous summer! :shock:
Interesting diving background, Pahonu. Thanks! I do like the episode a lot more now but I guess I'll always find something a bit "off" with this female professor fighting TM underwater. Maybe it's not cinematic enough or something.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by K Hale »

I’m going with the kudu buck also, not only because it was funny in and of itself but because it was so memorable that Magnum actually referenced it twice more in later episodes, as late as season 5!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#18 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:40 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am I have to wait until season two for my favorite!
The KUDU BUCK!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Come to think of it, it's probably my all-time favorite too! :)

When I first saw that episode I remember that I didn't care for it EXCEPT for the kudu buck subplot which was great!

Why didn't I care for it? I don't know because I like treasure hunting stories and underwater diving stuff. But for some reason I didn't think it was interesting or suspenseful enough. I liked "Billy Joe Bob" more. But these days I like it much more, I've warmed to it. I especially love the Post/Carpenter score that plays when Magnum is diving. That piece of music is in the audio archives: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Nihoa_Channel.html But I still have a problem with Ina Balin's character at the end being the one who fights with TM underwater and he somehow has a hard time over-powering her. Seriously? He's like a Navy SEAL and she's a university professor who I'm surprised can even dive. Shouldn't she have some henchman tough guy doing all this grunting heavy-duty underwater work, planting explosives, and trying to kill people?? I still find this part really hard to grasp.
I’ve always liked this one and not only for the kudu buck subplot. I think it’s all the water scenes. The opening scene has a Cal 20 like I’ve sailed on many times and even raced with two friends in the nationals that were held here in Long Beach several years ago. Then there’s Rick hosting all the underworld guys for gambling on the club’s cabin cruiser. I also love the treasure aspect and the diving scenes. I’m PADI certified and I can say as a very big man, that being at depth negates a lot of things including reflex speed and power. Your size and weight are minimized as you’re essentially floating and every movement is slowed by the water. I’m sure Magnum, as a former SEAL was well trained, it’s just different if you haven’t experienced it. Magnum’s use of the knife took advantage of these limitations very cleverly.

I would say that if a university professor’s area of research is oceanic in nature, then they would almost certainly be a diver. It’s no different than professors doing research in the Amazon or some other exotic location. Think Indiana Jones style! :D I took a marine bio class in my last year of college and at the end of the course we went diving in Catalina. The professor and some of the students were certified. Others like myself snorkeled, but it’s the reason I got certified. The professor would spend each summer in Mexico diving and doing research in the Sea of Cortez. I’ll never forget when I took the course he started by showing us the missing tip of his finger that he lost to a trigger fish the previous summer! :shock:
Interesting diving background, Pahonu. Thanks! I do like the episode a lot more now but I guess I'll always find something a bit "off" with this female professor fighting TM underwater. Maybe it's not cinematic enough or something.
I think you’re exactly right about it not being cinematic enough, but not just in this case. I have read so many comments over the years about how underwater filming is such a challenge in filmmaking and not just technically, but in terms of pacing and suspense. Everything is slow and there’s no sound other than what’s added. You have referenced Bond films several times and I remember reading about the challenges in Thunderball. They ended up speeding up several scenes which was probably worse than doing nothing at all. While these underwater scenes may seem exotic and exciting, the reality of filming them is very different.

On a separate note, the one thing about this episode that always distracts me is that TC is entirely absent. For the most part, I really enjoy the scenes with TC and TM, not as much as with Higgins, but more so than with Rick or anyone else. The fact that one of my favorite episodes of season two doesn’t even include him always feels like a missed opportunity for the episode. I don’t know exactly how he might have been included, but I always think about his absence.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think I have to go with the Kudu Buck sub plot. It’s one if the few that have made me laugh out loud. Another one not mentioned but I enjoy immensely is in Computer Date when Magnum trains Higgins in an attempt to make him more svelte before reuniting with his old flame.

BTW, Pahonu, we’ve got to go for a sail or dive one day! Two of my favourite activities.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by K Hale »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:44 pm I think I have to go with the Kudu Buck sub plot. It’s one if the few that have made me laugh out loud. Another one not mentioned but I enjoy immensely is in Computer Date when Magnum trains Higgins in an attempt to make him more svelte before reuniting with his old flame.

BTW, Pahonu, we’ve got to go for a sail or dive one day! Two of my favourite activities.
How could I forget this! It was way too relatable!!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#21 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:44 pm I think I have to go with the Kudu Buck sub plot. It’s one if the few that have made me laugh out loud. Another one not mentioned but I enjoy immensely is in Computer Date when Magnum trains Higgins in an attempt to make him more svelte before reuniting with his old flame.

Absolutely! It’s 73 degrees here in Long Beach right now and I was just thinking about a short day sail after lunch. When can you get here? :wink: That, or a paddle. I really should get the exercise after seeing your Higgins pic. :lol: