My trip to paradise

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My trip to paradise

#1 Post by AJLeatherman »

Just got back from my trip to Oahu, and naturally I checked out a ton of Magnum sites.

My first full day in, I of course went down to Robin's Nest. It was kinda surreal to stand at the front gate of the house, although there was no security keypad or intercom for me to ask Higgins to let me in.

I then walked around to the beach area. Thanks to various posts on this site, I knew to plan to visit during low tide, and as luck would have it, one of the locals on the beach said that since it happened to be the morning after a full moon, it was rare to see the tide back so low.

Ironically enough, there were two similar dogs by the back gate to the beach. But if they were supposed to be guarding the estate, Higgins would have been very disappointed with their performance - these "lads" could not have cared less that I was approaching Mr. Masters personal property.

Peeking over the fence, I was able to get a couple of pictures of the actual housing. The current majordomo is apparently not mainaining the grounds up to the Higgins standard.

On the way back, I checked out the Island Hoppers peir, which is just down the road from Robin's Nest. Not much to see other than beautiful scenery, but it is great that the pier is open to the public.

The next highlite of my trip was a helicopter tour of the island, in a replica Island Hoppers chopper! One plus was that the pilot was a genuine Magnum fan, and instantly complimented me on my red "jungle bird" shirt. We toured the entire island, and even got a great aerial shot of Robin's Nest. Fortunately, no Hawaiian villans shot a chip out of our windshield during flight.

I eventually made it around to check out some of the King Kamehameha Club locations. First was the Waialae Park location - it was amazing how it could look so different, as an open-air pavillion, yet once you're there, you can totally still see the "look" of the KKC.

While I was there, I walked down the beach to the Kahala Resort to see the other KKC. Obviously, this was a large, fancy resort, so I was at first lost as to where to find the location where the plaque was. I mistakenly went to the beachside bar first, and having no luck there, I walked around to the side banquet hall, and bingo, there it was! They were setting up for a wedding that day - I wonder if the couple realized that they were having their reception at the King Kamehameha Club?

Before I left, I ventured back to Robin's Nest one more time when I was in the area. It didn't happen to be low tide, so I couldn't go all the way to the back gate again - it's amazing how much the water level changes throughout a given day. One positive was that I was able to get up in time to see a sunrise over Magnum Beach, so if anybody had asked me "Did you see the sunrise?", I could have honestly answered "yes".

All in all, just a fantastic dream trip. Thanks to all who provided tips and advice throughout the history of this board - especially the folks responsible for the Rubber Chicken Guide. It would have been a LOT harder to track down all of the Magnum sites without that help.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: My trip to paradise

#2 Post by Sisophous »

Thanks for sharing these pics. I had no idea the Island Hoppers pier and Rick's club are open to the public.

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by AJLeatherman »

Sisophous wrote:Thanks for sharing these pics. I had no idea the Island Hoppers pier and Rick's club are open to the public.
The open air pavillion is in a public park, so you can go there just about any time you want. The site with the plaque is on a resort property, but it's right off the beach and viewable without actually going inside the resort. So although it's technically not "public", it's an open place of business, so nobody's going to accuse you of trespassing if you show up there.

The pier is only open for the public during certain hours during the day, pretty much "business hours", so unless somebody wanted to roll in during the middle of the night, there's no problem showing up.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hey thanks for sharing your pics with us! Really appreciate that you took the time to share! FANTASTIC!

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#5 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Thanks for the pics....I did notice that the front gate is not the same as the seen on the show. Obviously, the gate used in the series probably rotted away due to the salt water being nearby.

Mike

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by AJLeatherman »

Thanks everybody!

One thing that struck me driving through Oahu was the fact that I didn't realize there was as much of an interstate system through Oahu. Judging by the show, the Ferrari was never (that I can recall) limping through traffic jams on H1, it was always flying around the smaller coastal roads, and the side streets. I'm sure the reason was that the state was reluctant to close down the highway during the day for them to shoot, but it was just odd sitting through a highway traffic jam, and thinking "How come Magnum lived here all those years, and never had to deal with this?" :lol:

Col.Sanders
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by Col.Sanders »

Awesome pics! Thank you for sharing! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

Cool beans AJLeatherman,thanks for posting the pics..One question...was the real estate sign still at the gate??

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by AJLeatherman »

Sam wrote:Cool beans AJLeatherman,thanks for posting the pics..One question...was the real estate sign still at the gate??
Yes it was. If I had had $15M in my pocket, the sign would have been taken down that very day. :D

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Really enjoyed your pics and hearing about your trip AJ.

So glad whenever one of "us" gets to be there in person and bring back some memories and images that will last a long time, thanks for sharing with the rest of "us". :magnum:

Some will never get there, so your sharing is very gratifying for them. :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Danno »

Nice going, AJLeatherman!
Great photos- especially the sunrise!

What else did you do/see on Oahu?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by AJLeatherman »

I tried to cram in as much sightseeing and general scenery as possible. Looking back, I saw

-Kapena Falls (which is technically a Magnum site too, LOL)
-Pali lookout
-Toured the Kualoa Ranch
-Waimea Falls
-Haunauma Bay
-Byodo Temple
-Honolulu Zoo
-Iolani Palace
-Pearl Harbor historic sites
-Makapuu Lighthouse trail
-Toured Aloha Stadium
-Toured the Doris Duke Shangri La estate
-Diamondhead hike
-Polynesian Cultural Center
-Manoa Falls

My hotel was in Waikiki, so I obviously hung out on the beach and the touristy stops in the area as well. Definitely look forward to going back someday.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

AJLeatherman wrote:
Sisophous wrote:Thanks for sharing these pics. I had no idea the Island Hoppers pier and Rick's club are open to the public.
The open air pavillion is in a public park, so you can go there just about any time you want. The site with the plaque is on a resort property, but it's right off the beach and viewable without actually going inside the resort. So although it's technically not "public", it's an open place of business, so nobody's going to accuse you of trespassing if you show up there.
Thanks so much for the great pics AJLeatherman, and welcome! :D

Hey everyone...I just saw that Hawaii News Now’s Sunrise morning show will be broadcasting live from the Kahala tomorrow (Friday 5/30) and they stream the show live Monday – Friday from 4:30 – 9:00 am HST…http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com. I watch their news daily and learn a lot about everyday Hawaii, and it’s also entertaining because the news anchors have a good time. The show from the Kahala should be fun!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
AJLeatherman wrote:
Thanks so much for the great pics AJLeatherman, and welcome! :D

Hey everyone...I just saw that Hawaii News Now’s Sunrise morning show will be broadcasting live from the Kahala tomorrow (Friday 5/30) and they stream the show live Monday – Friday from 4:30 – 9:00 am HST…http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com. I watch their news daily and learn a lot about everyday Hawaii, and it’s also entertaining because the news anchors have a good time. The show from the Kahala should be fun!
The show was a fun watch. They even had a segment on "short shorts" from back in the day and of course they mentioned TS as one of the famous wearers of those wonderful short shorts, and showed clips of him playing volleyball at the Outrigger Canoe Club!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

How cool to capture the two dogs at the gate. I believe that might just be a first by any of us fans that have posted pics (the pug picnic doesn't count)...........Good job..............