How effective were The Lads?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

How effective were The Lads?

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

It occured to me even watching the shows as they aired originally that The Lads never seemed too effective. Whenever the estate had villians invade it they were never of much help. They'd sometimes hold up Magnum for a few minutes, but he could often evade them too. Can anyone think of an episode where they got to stop the villian of the week?

Col.Sanders
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: How effective were The Lads?

#2 Post by Col.Sanders »

I agree! They were not that effective against the bad guys but they gave Magnum a hard time... :magnum: I do recall one episode where they jumped out the back of a van and attacked the bad guys. It was not on the estate though...

The lads were great for the show! I always had a good chuckle with them... :lol:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I think the Lads were just one of many levels of security. They weren't a big help against a focused threat, but they were the next level up from the fence in keeping "riff raff" off the Estate. They were also roaming alarms to a certain extent.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

A comment by Digger Doyle comes to mind concerning the lads - "Effective guard dogs would've torn any intruder to shreds by now." I'm paraphrasing, so I'm sure I'm off there on the quote. But, I came to think that the lads' real job for a while there were to be loyal friends for Higgins, who seemed very lonely at the start of the show. I like to think Higgins "overstated" the lads' ferocity to help convince himself that they were more than just furry pets.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by No need to know! »

They were very effective when it came to listen to all the stories they heard in their lifetime from Higgins. "You´ll enjoy this one lads"
Onion´s extra?

EZiller
Captain

#6 Post by EZiller »

It's something I've always wondered because it seems like intruders break into RN on a regular basis, without a bark. I have a large mastiff who keeps us safe from trash trucks going down the street, backyard squirrels or my neighbors walking their dogs, but then again I might have a friend just walk in through the kitchen door and she doesn't bother waking up.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sisophous »

Col.Sanders wrote:I do recall one episode where they jumped out the back of a van and attacked the bad guys. It was not on the estate though...
Indeed, that was from Season 1, The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii. It was one of the better episodes but wacky at times. It is one of the more humorous episodes, not to be taken seriously.

I think the reason the dogs were not too effective is if you had them tearing people apart, which guard dogs would do if left in an area unsupervised, it would turn off viewers.

I've seen taped surveillance video of guard dogs mauling people and it is difficult to watch. Not pretty.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

I think the sight of Rick in that singlet and shorts would be enough to keep most people away.
Did people really dress like that in the 80s?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Danno wrote:I think the sight of Rick in that singlet and shorts would be enough to keep most people away.
Sadly, yes.

:lol:

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sisophous »

Danno wrote:I think the sight of Rick in that singlet and shorts would be enough to keep most people away.
We used to call them Tank Tops, your post is the first time I even heard of the word "singlet", I had to look it up.

Shorts for both guys and girls in the 70s and 80s were much shorter than what you see today.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Stelth »

AFAIK this is a singlet:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sisophous wrote:Shorts for both guys and girls in the 70s and 80s were much shorter than what you see today.
Because they were shorts, not 3/4 pants! I don't get the long shorts thing today . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sisophous »

Stelth wrote:AFAIK this is a singlet:
The only people I have seen wear a tank top combined with shorts, in one piece, are the Aussies.

Now I know what a singlet is, it is not a tank top.

Never saw one in the States, not once worn here.

Thanks for the info.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Stelth »

Wrestlers wear singlets at wrestling competitions. That's the only place I've ever seen them worn.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

SignGuyHPW wrote:It occured to me even watching the shows as they aired originally that The Lads never seemed too effective. Whenever the estate had villians invade it they were never of much help. They'd sometimes hold up Magnum for a few minutes, but he could often evade them too. Can anyone think of an episode where they got to stop the villian of the week?
In Ki'is Don't Lie the lads prevent Rick Simon--under cover of night no less--from breaking into the Estate and stealing the Ki'i, so that's at least one time they get the job done!

"Doberman Luaus", as Rick Simon grumbled to himself after his failed attempt.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck