The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2236 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Guesthouse resident wrote:Can someone tell me Nesbit destroyed Robin's Nest? Its a tragedy. Why???
Hi Guesthouse/Estate resident! If you read back through this thread you'll read more about the owner... according to "the word on the street" it's apparently Obama. As far as why and what the future plans are, that's the million dollar question. I wish we knew! :(

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2237 Post by Steve »

Guesthouse resident wrote:Can someone tell me Nesbit destroyed Robin's Nest? Its a tragedy. Why???
The house should have been listed on the historic register but somehow the law was changed. Since I am from Chicago where Nesbitt is from I have my theory that "The Chicago Way" was involved. It all stinks to high heaven as far as I am concerned...

Guesthouse resident
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2238 Post by Guesthouse resident »

According to what I've read Nesbit is the new owner. Regardless it'll never be the same.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2239 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Hi Pahonu,

I've spotted another window well for you to add to your model. :roll: :)
Refer to robbie308's terrific, but sad pics of the estate.........
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=2010
Find the one that zooms in on the front entrance area off of the driveway....look in the corner just below that ugly exhaust fan and you will spot what looks to be a window well. It connects with the basement location too.

Question.....
Did you ever figure out the dimensions of each room? It wouldn't be hard to get a fairly accurate idea of the dimensions, but it would take a bit of time, just wondering if you've already done this research and would be willing to share it with the gang. :wink: :D

Hey Kenji,

I totally dropped the ball on your dimension request. Give me a few days and I'll send some updated floor plans. These dimensions are very accurate, because of the measured property tax drawings and the plat drawn at the time of sale.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2240 Post by K Hale »

Hey gang, I hope this is OK to post here. Someone on Facebook posted about a beach towel that he was given as a gift that has Robin's Nest on it. He gave out the link, and turns out the artist has the same fun, kitschy painting on a lot of products. I bought myself a beach towel too!

This is it: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/rob ... ttain.html
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2241 Post by KENJI »

Nice find K Hale, the right thread too!
I'm sure a few more of the gang will be interested in a towel or two.
Chad has everything Pahonu here from stationery to pillows.
I wonder if Marty Obama :wink: knows about it, maybe he made a few purchases himself before deciding to bring in the wrecking ball! :evil:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2242 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:

I've spotted another window well for you to add to your model. :roll: :)
Refer to robbie308's terrific, but sad pics of the estate.........
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=2010
Find the one that zooms in on the front entrance area off of the driveway....look in the corner just below that ugly exhaust fan and you will spot what looks to be a window well. It connects with the basement location too.

Question.....
Did you ever figure out the dimensions of each room? It wouldn't be hard to get a fairly accurate idea of the dimensions, but it would take a bit of time, just wondering if you've already done this research and would be willing to share it with the gang. :wink: :D

Hey Kenji,

I totally dropped the ball on your dimension request. Give me a few days and I'll send some updated floor plans. These dimensions are very accurate, because of the measured property tax drawings and the plat drawn at the time of sale.
No problem Pahonu, when you have time! :D
Looking forward to it!

Pahonu

#2243 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:Hey gang, I hope this is OK to post here. Someone on Facebook posted about a beach towel that he was given as a gift that has Robin's Nest on it. He gave out the link, and turns out the artist has the same fun, kitschy painting on a lot of products. I bought myself a beach towel too!

This is it: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/rob ... ttain.html
Not to rain on the parade, but there are lots of inaccuracies in the drawing, including the number of columns in the entry porch and the one story ell, the roof pitch, etc... Nicely colored, though. :magnum:

Pahonu

#2244 Post by Pahonu »

Found this on the METV website:

According to local news sources in Waimanalo, Hawaii, demolition on the house has already begun, so while the reboot of Hawaii Five-0 was able to shoot scenes in the famous film location, fans who are intrigued by the upcoming Magnum, P.I. reboot will not be so lucky.

Can anyone verify this?

https://www.metv.com/stories/theyre-dem ... -went-down

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2245 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

deleted

Guesthouse resident
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2246 Post by Guesthouse resident »

The relatively low price (8mill$) price the estate sold for is certainly strange. The fact its three+ acres of prime waterfront property is worth nearly ten million alone. The television historical value easily adds another 2 million IMO. Again to us its like demolishing graceland. Anderson must've really let the property decline for "Nesbit" to bulldoze the entire home??? I still am amazed.

knight8882
Lieutenant

#2247 Post by knight8882 »

Guesthouse resident wrote:The relatively low price (8mill$) price the estate sold for is certainly strange. The fact its three+ acres of prime waterfront property is worth nearly ten million alone. The television historical value easily adds another 2 million IMO. Again to us its like demolishing graceland. Anderson must've really let the property decline for "Nesbit" to bulldoze the entire home??? I still am amazed.
The estate certainly was in terrible condition. I could not imagine letting any home I owned deteriorate to such a poor state, much less my beloved Robin's Nest! That being said, Pahonu was a particularly difficult estate to maintain given its proximity to the ocean and the materials with which its structures were built. Some major repairs really needed to take place at least 15-20 years ago. Since then it likely deteriorated to a point where it was no longer feasible to make the necessary repairs. It was terribly painful to watch over the years knowing that if I or any of us ever had the money and the opportunity to own it, we'd have spared no expense and ordered all repairs immediately upon purchase. I, and I suppose many others here, always held out hope that one day a big fan of the show would buy it and restore it to it's former glory, but alas, it was not to be. :cry:
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.

Pahonu

#2248 Post by Pahonu »

knight8882 wrote:
Guesthouse resident wrote:The relatively low price (8mill$) price the estate sold for is certainly strange. The fact its three+ acres of prime waterfront property is worth nearly ten million alone. The television historical value easily adds another 2 million IMO. Again to us its like demolishing graceland. Anderson must've really let the property decline for "Nesbit" to bulldoze the entire home??? I still am amazed.
The estate certainly was in terrible condition. I could not imagine letting any home I owned deteriorate to such a poor state, much less my beloved Robin's Nest! That being said, Pahonu was a particularly difficult estate to maintain given its proximity to the ocean and the materials with which its structures were built. Some major repairs really needed to take place at least 15-20 years ago. Since then it likely deteriorated to a point where it was no longer feasible to make the necessary repairs. It was terribly painful to watch over the years knowing that if I or any of us ever had the money and the opportunity to own it, we'd have spared no expense and ordered all repairs immediately upon purchase. I, and I suppose many others here, always held out hope that one day a big fan of the show would buy it and restore it to it's former glory, but alas, it was not to be. :cry:
I think you nailed it knight. I've lived on a marina for the last 19 years and near the sand for the previous five. The salt air is absolutely brutal. "Stainless steel" parts on our bikes show rust spots within a year or two, and chromed or painted parts can last only months before it starts. Even the high grade stainless on my boat has to maintained...a lot! Don't get me started on the teak! Pahonu was neglected for too long, sadly. I think the hollow tile and reinforced concrete construction of the walls and floors was probably sound. The iron railings and the wood, even the redwood that was used, won't survive unless constantly maintained. :( The value of that property was almost exclusively the land. I think the selling price reflects that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2249 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Pahonu wrote: The value of that property was almost exclusively the land. I think the selling price reflects that
Thanks Pahonu, that sums it up pretty good.

Personally I find some of the outrage and the speculations of a Hawaiian-Chicago conspiracy out of line and ridiculous.

I am certainly not happy about the fact that Pahonu has been leveled, but we really needed some reality-checks here.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2250 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Question.....
(Posting for Pahonu) Here you go, KENJI...