The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2206 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Some new SketchUp goodies from Pahonu. The kitchen floorplan/layout below is accurate but he said he placed the appliances etc. where he would want things if Pahonu was his home...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2207 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Some new SketchUp goodies from Pahonu. The kitchen floorplan/layout below is accurate but he said he placed the appliances etc. where he would want things if Pahonu was his home...

That's just plain GOR-GE-OUS! :lol:

Loven' it! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2208 Post by KENJI »

WOW -Pahonu- well done!
I like the larger fridge, freezer and wine fridge combo you have installed.
Looks as though TM has been in there as the wine fridge is bare. :wink:
Love the addition of courtyard paths and fountain too!
Thanks for sharing Pahonu and thanks for posting them RG!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2209 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Some more great SketchUp pics from Pahonu. The first five are called section plane views, which Pahonu sent to me because I was unable to figure out how to view in SketchUp :?

Service Wing...

Bedroom/Stair Hall/Dining Room...

Butler's Pantry/Servant Dining Room/Kitchen...

Bar/Library/Living Room...

Bedroom Suite/Sitting Room/Sewing Room...

Ocean Bedroom Suite/Dressing Rooms & Bathrooms/Adjacent Bedroom...

View from "Unhappy Dan's" youtube video...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2210 Post by KENJI »

These SketchUp pics are absolutely FANTASTIC Pahonu!!!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing them with us!
:D
Thanks for posting them RG! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2211 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I agree 308GUY and KENJI, these SketchUp screen caps from Pahonu are great... it's almost like being inside!

This reminded me of another old news article I found a while back about some furniture Julia and Ormond purchased for Pahonu so I just dug it up. (Just for fun, the red arrow & question mark are pointing to an unrelated and funny news blurb :lol: )

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, August 19, 1931...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2212 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I have some more information to share about Pahonu... I recently discovered that there are photographs and/or footage of Pahonu being built! :D

Some of you may remember a post by a man named Rick Helin looking for information about Eve's ancestors because he was working on a documentary about the "millionaire's cruise" of the SS Malolo that Eve's mother Eva and grandparents Julia & Ormond went on. (Scroll to the bottom here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... lin#p46733) To my knowledge at least one of our members provided information to him, however later when that member kindly inquired about the progress of his documentary he didn't have the courtesy to reply. :roll:

Fast forward to a twitter post I saw recently that he made in December, announcing that he was in possession of images of the construction....

On the website affiliated with the documentary, I found that someone in the comments section who saw a rough cut of the documentary used the word "footage" when talking about Pahonu being built. I'm not sure if she just meant still pictures in the documentary which is "footage", or if there is actual video. Here's the website: https://www.ssmalolo.com/

I then contacted Helin hoping I could see the photos/footage(?), explaining that I was affiliated with MM and we provided information to him in the past blah, blah, but he shut me down and ended it with saying "cross you fingers that it gets accepted by the American Experience series" (which is produced by PBS) and I can view it then. :evil:

(On a side note, apparently it's a one-way street with him and he later came sniffing around asking me for additional information but I didn't respond... Tsk tsk, mustn't burn bridges. :lol: )

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that there are some pics and/or footage out there that we may see on PBS some day. I keep checking the documentary website for an announcement but nothing yet.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2213 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

That Rick Helin bloke sounds like a very amicable guy.... :higgins:

ibemanthony
Ensign

#2214 Post by ibemanthony »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have some more information to share about Pahonu... I recently discovered that there are photographs and/or footage of Pahonu being built! :D

Some of you may remember a post by a man named Rick Helin looking for information about Eve's ancestors because he was working on a documentary about the "millionaire's cruise" of the SS Malolo that Eve's mother Eva and grandparents Julia & Ormond went on. (Scroll to the bottom here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... lin#p46733) To my knowledge at least one of our members provided information to him, however later when that member kindly inquired about the progress of his documentary he didn't have the courtesy to reply. :roll:

Fast forward to a twitter post I saw recently that he made in December, announcing that he was in possession of images of the construction....

On the website affiliated with the documentary, I found that someone in the comments section who saw a rough cut of the documentary used the word "footage" when talking about Pahonu being built. I'm not sure if she just meant still pictures in the documentary which is "footage", or if there is actual video. Here's the website: https://www.ssmalolo.com/

I then contacted Helin hoping I could see the photos/footage(?), explaining that I was affiliated with MM and we provided information to him in the past blah, blah, but he shut me down and ended it with saying "cross you fingers that it gets accepted by the American Experience series" (which is produced by PBS) and I can view it then. :evil:

(On a side note, apparently it's a one-way street with him and he later came sniffing around asking me for additional information but I didn't respond... Tsk tsk, mustn't burn bridges. :lol: )

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that there are some pics and/or footage out there that we may see on PBS some day. I keep checking the documentary website for an announcement but nothing yet.
Wow. Those SketchUps are just incredible!! Thanks for all the time and effort put into this Pahonu!! So much fun!

Yeah, RG, I wonder if "footage" means that Ken Burns effect of slowly moving stills. Fingers crossed for motion though. Great find!

Overdrive
Ensign

#2215 Post by Overdrive »

Hi to all,

as a guest/lurker of many years, I've finally joined to enter into the thread, rejuvenated as it has been for the wrong reasons. At least there is interest and lively discussion about Pahonu as an offset to the disappointment of the demolition. I must say, it didn't surprise me to see the wreckers move in, I considered it more a case of when, not if, from the outset. There is simply too much hard nosed business opportunism at the helm of things nowadays.

Now I might be made to eat my words in the future but I'd be stunned if Obama ever took residence on that site, whatever form it takes, save for a windowless bunker. The situation of the plot at the base of that mountain is basically a sniper's dream and almost impossible to secure, particularly for the long term.

The reputed retention of the house foundation slabs and structures gives a temporary "Hope'' that something of a compensating quality may be built to ''Replace'' Pahonu, for what it's worth now - though that kind of rebuilding rarely takes place, in my experience. Personally I rather dread eight to 10 stunning, exclusive investment opportunity -type properties; we'll see.

As to Pahonu as was, I'll digest these last few dozen pages and compare them with my own thoughts from over the years re. ''I wonder what's inside?". There were so many possible options, still are, and I'll stick my oar in soon!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2216 Post by eagle »

Overdrive wrote:Now I might be made to eat my words in the future but I'd be stunned if Obama ever took residence on that site, whatever form it takes, save for a windowless bunker. The situation of the plot at the base of that mountain is basically a sniper's dream and almost impossible to secure, particularly for the long term.
But ... but ... but ... Magnum had it extremely secure for Robin Masters and all of his guests!!

j/k

I know where you are coming from, and you very well might be right.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2217 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Haha, good one eagle!

Welcome Overdrive, glad to have you chime in!

I never thought about a sniper, good point... perhaps they can make that section at the top of the Ko'olaus off limits when he's there? And speaking of when he's there, it's my understanding that the Obamas will retain their DC home until their youngest graduates from high school which is in about 2 years, and then they'll leave DC. My thinking is that Pahonu is just going to be a vacation home or perhaps a part-time home for the winter months when Chicago is cold. I don't think there is any way he will sell his home in Chicago and move to Oahu full time... they have roots in Chicago, Chicago has "given" a lot to Obama politically, plus his new library is/will be there, etc That's just my guess. I'd be interested to hear Steve's thoughts on that.

About the retention of the house foundation, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to read that I got that from the City & County of Honolulu website. I think it was Pahonu (the MM member) who said that by leaving the foundation it is sometimes possible to reclassify the construction as remodeling and not new construction. New construction permits generally require a larger percentage of the construction costs to be paid in fees than does remodeling permitting... so it could just be a money saving tactic.

Overdrive
Ensign

#2218 Post by Overdrive »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Haha, good one eagle!

Welcome Overdrive, glad to have you chime in!

I never thought about a sniper, good point... perhaps they can make that section at the top of the Ko'olaus off limits when he's there? And speaking of when he's there, it's my understanding that the Obamas will retain their DC home until their youngest graduates from high school which is in about 2 years, and then they'll leave DC. My thinking is that Pahonu is just going to be a vacation home or perhaps a part-time home for the winter months when Chicago is cold. I don't think there is any way he will sell his home in Chicago and move to Oahu full time... they have roots in Chicago, Chicago has "given" a lot to Obama politically, plus his new library is/will be there, etc That's just my guess. I'd be interested to hear Steve's thoughts on that.

About the retention of the house foundation, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to read that I got that from the City & County of Honolulu website. I think it was Pahonu (the MM member) who said that by leaving the foundation it is sometimes possible to reclassify the construction as remodeling and not new construction. New construction permits generally require a larger percentage of the construction costs to be paid in fees than does remodeling permitting... so it could just be a money saving tactic.

Hi, yes read the permit you posted, and am aware of the angles/effect of existing structure in the planning and associated processes, but not familiar with how it all works under US/Hawaiian rules. Where I'm from, usually maintaining a single wall or corner of walls is all that's required, and this sometimes has to be included in the new works. It's a new concept to me to leave the whole foundation for that purpose, but no doubt all the relevant tactics will be employed to advantage.

Reading from the permit, maybe it's more about ''No ground disturbance'' than leaving the foundations per se. We will see in the fullness of time!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2219 Post by J.J. Walters »

People, come on. There is no doubt at this point. This is going to be a second (or third or fourth) home of the Obama's! This was a carefully planned ordeal. There are too many connections to them at this point. They will roll in there in the winter months. Secret Service agents will be crawling all over the place, including the beach on the tidal pool. That area may technically still be open to the public, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be rolling up there in my cut off jeans and IPA in hand! The neighbors must be besides themselves at this point. Shriner's might be up for sale, too!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2220 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

J.J. Walters wrote:People, come on. There is no doubt at this point. This is going to be a second (or third or fourth) home of the Obama's! This was a carefully planned ordeal. There are too many connections to them at this point. They will roll in there in the winter months. Secret Service agents will be crawling all over the place, including the beach on the tidal pool. That area may technically still be open to the public, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be rolling up there in my cut off jeans and IPA in hand! The neighbors must be besides themselves at this point. Shriner's might be up for sale, too!
Right, Boss... you're preachin' to the choir. Well, speaking for myself that is. I've thought since day 1 it was Obama. Nesbitt isn't kama'aina (Kenji, are you tired of me saying that :lol: )