The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2176 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I'm going to chime in here and make it the 3 Stooges instead of Abbott & Costello. I believe you two are not talking about the same window. I think Kenji is saying it's the "townside" window, facing the property next door. I'm with Pahonu and think it's the window facing Kalanianaole Hwy, and it's a square, deep set glass window here...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2177 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm going to chime in here and make it the 3 Stooges instead of Abbott & Costello. I believe you two are not talking about the same window. I think Kenji is saying it's the "townside" window, facing the property next door. I'm with Pahonu and think it's the window facing Kalanianaole Hwy, and it's a square, deep set glass window here...

Hey RG,
Welcome to the act! :wink: :lol:
We are getting warmer here....okay go to 36:52 and I think that is what you are pointing to in red at 3o'clock (will see what Scott is thinking when he replies)....note the roof tiles pointing down and towards M & J.....after that part of the scene, they continue to walk and then you see the window come into view, the roofline, the wall, the breezeway etc....I think that window is facing the house behind Pahonu or twelve o'clock in your diagram. Poke away fellow stooges! :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2178 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm going to chime in here and make it the 3 Stooges instead of Abbott & Costello. I believe you two are not talking about the same window. I think Kenji is saying it's the "townside" window, facing the property next door. I'm with Pahonu and think it's the window facing Kalanianaole Hwy, and it's a square, deep set glass window here...

Hey RG,
Welcome to the act! :wink: :lol:
We are getting warmer here....okay go to 36:52 and I think that is what you are pointing to in red at 3o'clock (will see what Scott is thinking when he replies)....note the roof tiles pointing down and towards M & J.....after that part of the scene, they continue to walk and then you see the window come into view, the roofline, the wall, the breezeway etc....I think that window is facing the house behind Pahonu or twelve o'clock in your diagram. Poke away fellow stooges! :lol:
I watched from 36:52 and you do clearly see the roof tiles pointing down as you say and the window. They continue to walk as you say, but never turn. They just continue to walk parallel to Kalanianaole Hwy and pause a little further along. It is two separate camera shots, but showing the same window. I'll send RG some pics from the model to show how their position relative to the window at 37:19-37:21 can't be on the back side.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2179 Post by KENJI »

Hi Pahonu,
I agree it was two shots there and tv trickery could've been in play, I agree they walk parallel to the hwy. too and if they are far enough back from the shed while lining up with the wall opening they could've pulled off that shot and it would explain why I'm seeing that window as narrow and not square. I still think the side at 12 o'clock could've been pulled off in that scene too. I would think that any window on that side would be square like the others and not narrow and mismatched, which you've explained at the beginning with the wide angle theory, so you're winning me over. If you have a freeze frame of the roof lines and the direction of slope you have me completely sold. :) Also agree with you RG that the window you marked at 3 o'clock is square etc. (we've seen pics and drone footage etc.to support it). Boy, we are getting somewhere now. :wink: so again....who's on first? :roll: :lol: I know one thing, I don't want to watch Mad Buck Gibson again for a very long time.....I played that scene over and over looking for the roof etc.. :shock: I think the eyes are officially shot!
Look forward to the model pics etc.....thanks P and RG.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2180 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi guys,

I took some screen caps last night. The first here is just showing the shed gable roof that we all agree on...

This second screen cap is when they continue to walk, and here's what I see, marked in red...

1) Arrow on left... a path which I believe heads to the drive court... it goes "north" if you will, or toward the gate house.

2) Two circles... are these two support posts under an overhang of the gable roof of the shed?

3) An arrow pointing to the gable shed roof

4) Not marked, but of course the window in question that looks misshapen because of the angle

This is what I'm seeing but I don't know if the shed has an overhang with support posts??? Any thoughts?

Pahonu

#2181 Post by Pahonu »

I sent RG some pics of the area of my model, so hopefully that will help. :D

DON’T MISS THIS NEXT PART! :D

I can’t believe I just stumbled onto this. Start at 2:27. It’s the back of the house including the never-seen service porch area! It’s enclosed with some combination of windows and doors I'm uncertain of. It has no columns like I speculated in my model. Also, the back of the bath house is shown with paired vents.

I think the guy just wandered onto the neighbors property and stuck his camera over the wall! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuBtNXz2zDw&t=184s

Pahonu

#2182 Post by Pahonu »

In looking at it more closely, the middle of the three openings shown in the video seems to be a door. The two on either side are likely windows because of the thick stiles down their center indicating a two-part casement window. The walls block seeing lower, though. I need some analysis everyone, with all your sharp eyes! :D

I also noticed the gate leading to the back courtyard is similar to one shown stored under the boat house in a recent posting about Hawaii Five-O, I think it was. It has the chevron pattern at the top, similar, but not the same as the front courtyard gate.

Sorry I just seemed to completely drop the work shop discussion. :( This is pretty cool to find and I got a little excited, :D I guess.
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2183 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:In looking at it more closely, the middle of the three openings shown in the video seems to be a door. The two on either side are likely windows, but the walls block seeing lower. I need some analysis everyone, with all your sharp eyes! :D
Is this what you're trying to see Pahonu? Yes, it's definitely a door! :D

Pahonu wrote:I also noticed the gate leading to the back courtyard is similar to one shown under the boat house in a recent posting about Hawaii Five-O, I think it was. It has the chevron pattern at the top, similar, but not the same as the front courtyard gate.
Yes, same chevron design but missing a couple pieces. I never got around to posting this, but the gate is also shown in the realtor pics.

The folks in the video are renting the house next door ("Cupcake" pretty much confirms that :lol:) so yep, he just filmed over the wall. Very cool!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2184 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

OK, new question... Pahonu, I can't read your floorplan labels clearly, hence my PM last night with the question about a couple of the service wing rooms. So, is this the laundry room window? And if so, I thought it was vented... it looks to be glass? Maybe I have the room incorrect and it's not the laundry? :?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2185 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:I sent RG some pics of the area of my model, so hopefully that will help. :D
(Posting for Pahonu...)

Hey Kenji,

View 1 - This view shows were I think they are standing...

View 2 - This view shows if they were standing to the right of the rear window...

View 3 - This view shows the end window is square, but look how rectangular it seems in view 1...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2186 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I sent RG some pics of the area of my model, so hopefully that will help. :D
(Posting for Pahonu...)

Hey Kenji,

View 1 - This view shows were I think they are standing...

View 2 - This view shows if they were standing to the right of the rear window...

View 3 - This view shows the end window is square, but look how rectangular it seems in view 1...
Many thanks RG and Pahonu will have look in a bit!!! The service wing has us in one of those butterfly moments and shifting gears......great stuff, nice freeze frames too RG!!! I'm going in for a second look! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2187 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi guys,

I took some screen caps last night. The first here is just showing the shed gable roof that we all agree on...

This second screen cap is when they continue to walk, and here's what I see, marked in red...

1) Arrow on left... a path which I believe heads to the drive court... it goes "north" if you will, or toward the gate house.

2) Two circles... are these two support posts under an overhang of the gable roof of the shed?

4) Not marked, but of course the window in question that looks misshapen because of the angle

This is what I'm seeing but I don't know if the shed has an overhang with support posts??? Any thoughts?
Hi RG,

If we say Pahonu's theory is correct and it's definitely looking that way, then the arrow to the left is correct pointing towards the gatehouse. Number 2.....I would say are not support posts for the shed roof....the one to the right is probably accentuated by the sun and maybe filming lights...it's just a corner...highlighted by light. The one to the left is either a tree trunk, maybe even part of the main house or how about some crew machinery , riggings, crane/hoist....the angles are starting to come into play again. :wink: Number 3 is an important one....like you said it shows the roof, but you can really see the roof pitching downwards. :D Number 4. I can see the angle much better here and how it made the window look smaller/narrower. Thanks RG for the freeze frame! I concede Pahonu! :D I'll edit the original post later with the correction. Okay onto the basement and service area. :D :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2188 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:OK, new question... Pahonu, I can't read your floorplan labels clearly, hence my PM last night with the question about a couple of the service wing rooms. So, is this the laundry room window? And if so, I thought it was vented... it looks to be glass? Maybe I have the room incorrect and it's not the laundry? :?

It's hard to say if that is a door or window on the other side of the wall (left hand side /red arrow), but assuming it's a door...it could be the entrance to the basement. Pahonu had mentioned a possible door up top. Looking at the house from that perspective, a door would also be more visually appealing and tie in with the rest of the house, instead of just an opening. The back of the house is definitely not has detailed as the front (columns etc). Love the old gate too, even if it's missing a few pieces! :D
Thanks again for freezing the shot RG!

Pahonu

#2189 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi guys,

Hi RG,

If we say Pahonu's theory is correct and it's definitely looking that way, then the arrow to the left is correct pointing towards the gatehouse. Number 2.....I would say are not support posts for the shed roof....the one to the right is probably accentuated by the sun and maybe filming lights...it's just a corner...highlighted by light. The one to the left is either a tree trunk, maybe even part of the main house or how about some crew machinery , riggings, crane/hoist....the angles are starting to come into play again. :wink: Number 3 is an important one....like you said it shows the roof, but you can really see the roof pitching downwards. :D Number 4. I can see the angle much better here and how it made the window look smaller/narrower. Thanks RG for the freeze frame! I concede Pahonu! :D I'll edit the original post later with the correction. Okay onto the basement and service area. :D :D
No need to call it a concession Kenji! We're all just trying to figure this out. :D

Did you see the video I linked? Amazingly, it's the service porch area I mentioned as unseen just days ago!

I'll post here for you a comment I e-mailed RG about this new information.

The service porch is enclosed, as we now know from the recent video. I’m still certain it is a service porch because it is at a lower level than the rest of the kitchen. Many service porches of the era were enclosed. I chose to draw it open because of the climate of Hawaii. :D On smaller homes the icebox would be located there. The kitchen door would be locked but the service porch door unlocked for ice deliveries. If the icebox leaked as the ice melted, it would simply drain off the porch and not into the kitchen at a higher level. I’ve been considering the possibility that half of the porch may have been the cold storage room mentioned in the articles. It still would have been accessible for ice delivery if that was done.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2190 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I found something interesting to consider about the basement stairs and sent these thoughts to Kenji & Pahonu. At the 8:42 mark of "The Kona Winds", as TM enters the laundry room you see a wall to our right. I thought he was entering from the garage bay but Kenji pointed out there's a door behind TM so that was incorrect (thanks Kenji!) I thought perhaps the wall here could be the outer wall of the basement stairs, or a few other guesses. Here's the ep... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4udgcr and some screen caps...

Here's TM entering the laundry room and the wall I mentioned....

And here is a shot with the door behind TM....

So, Pahonu took these observations and has changed his floorplan and inserted the basement stairs to reflect these discoveries... he believes TM is actually walking into the laundry room from the pantry. Any thoughts/possibilities/ideas from anyone? :D