The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#151 Post by rubber chicken »

Since I've been slacking on finishing up the next update of the locations project, I decided to finally do the next episode of Hawaii Five-0. Thanks to grundle I knew to watch Cloth of Gold, the 20th episode of season 4. It originally aired on February 15th, 1972, making this the second week in a row where the Anderson Estate appeared on the show. Very odd. One week the estate is owned by a business man suspected of murdering his associate, and the next week it's where three business men are in danger of being murdered. The episodes are unconnected except for the use of the estate as a filming location. The Anderson Estate apparently has had quite a few "owners".

It's hard to figure out who actually owns the estate in this episode. At first it seems to be the home (if for only three minutes) of one Ralph Mingo. He's a very rude man, who holds a very awkward birthday party which he makes even more uncomfortable when he proceeds to suffocate to death while opening his presents. (Don't worry, his guests of "con-men, grifters, pimps, and assorted playmates" don't seem to mind.) But after Mingo keels over his two business partners hang around the place for the rest of the show. They might all live (or die) there together. Maybe it's a designated swingers pad, it isn't explained. Anyway, the estate is used heavily throughout this episode, and gets a total of 23 1/2 minutes of airtime.

Byodo-In Temple is seen in a brief still shot, and Makai Research Pier is used to launch a police boat. Sea Life Park is also used, for diving shots and also as a real life location. They actually refer to it as Sea Life Park in the show.

Because the estate is used so much in this episode, it was hard getting down to just these 12 screenshots. But here we go...

Eight years before Thomas Sullivan Magnum, Fred Akamai Loy was living the dream.

The gate house. I'm guessing that's a production vehicle (upper right corner) that they attempted to conceal. I think I remember seeing a truck in that place on Magnum P.I. as well.

The "guest house" is seen in the background here. Shows how small it really is.

"Dead fish, dead man."

This angle was seen in the episode just one week before. Based on the differences in greenery (compare with next screenshot), it seems these two episodes were shot awhile apart, and then for some reason aired one after another.

A screenshot from While You're At It, Bring In The Moon, which aired only a week before.

On the second floor lanai.

At first I wasn't sure, but after some investigation I now believe this is an actual bedroom at the estate (north east corner of the house on a map).

Looking towards the "front door" of "Robin's Nest".

The entrance to this stairway is seen at left in the photo above, and the stairway opens directly onto the second floor lanai. In this picture the viewer is facing away from the courtyard we all know (bottom left, four pictures up).
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#152 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, neat! RC comes through again with another wonderful Hawaii Five-O/Anderson Estate review! Excellent screen caps! Thanks!

Is there a "cloth of gold" in the episode?

This just kills me...
rubber chicken wrote:Eight years before Thomas Sullivan Magnum, Fred Akamai Loy was living the dream.
LOL!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Englishmagnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#153 Post by Englishmagnum »

I was at the estate early today its in even worse shape that when I saw it 18 months ago. Was nice to swim in the tidal pool, went to the byodo temple as well which was great. Ill post some pictures soon when back from my holiday.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#154 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Great thread, some really interesting shots.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned (apologies if it has), but the Estate was also seen in 'Charlie's Angels'. I can't remember which episode (I was never overly a fan of that show), but it comes at the start of the fifth season when the Angels head off to Hawaii.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#155 Post by Steve »

It is nice to see different angles of The Estate we weren't privy to in Magnum. Ms. Anderson must have put her foot down about filming interior shots after 5-0 was done. I also like the shot from the second floor lanai as I was able to show it to my wife so she could see what our view will be once she hits it rich and buys the property.
By the way, I don't know if any of you have HD-Net on your cable or satelite systems, but on thier show last night, Bikini Destinations, they had the models kayaking from the park where you park your vehicle to walk up the beach to the tidal pool. The tide was all the way up to the sea walls, but you could see folks in the water all along that beach and to the tidal pool area. (disclaimer) I only watched for research on locations and swimsuits.........

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#156 Post by rubber chicken »

James J. Walters wrote:Is there a "cloth of gold" in the episode?
There is, of a sort. The answer to the question reveals spoilers, so if anyone is planning to see the episode they probably shouldn't read the following - I know it's a tv episode from 37 years ago but still. ;) Cloth of Gold is a carnivorous gastropod, or cone snail in this case. In the show it's used as a murder weapon, which "can paralyze a man in less than a minute. Kill him in a couple of hours. And it's a particularly horrible way to die, death by inches." This is explained by a marine biologist at Sea Life Park, but the wiki page only says "Several human deaths have been attributed to this species."
Englishmagnum wrote:Ill post some pictures soon when back from my holiday.
I know we would all enjoy seeing them, enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Not sure if it's already been mentioned (apologies if it has), but the Estate was also seen in 'Charlie's Angels'. I can't remember which episode (I was never overly a fan of that show), but it comes at the start of the fifth season when the Angels head off to Hawaii.
I don't remember this being mentioned before... very interesting! I've made a note of it, but it looks like we're in for a wait since not even season 4 has been announced yet.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

rubber chicken wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Not sure if it's already been mentioned (apologies if it has), but the Estate was also seen in 'Charlie's Angels'. I can't remember which episode (I was never overly a fan of that show), but it comes at the start of the fifth season when the Angels head off to Hawaii.
I don't remember this being mentioned before... very interesting! I've made a note of it, but it looks like we're in for a wait since not even season 4 has been announced yet.
I'm hoping my mind isn't playing tricks with me :lol:
'Charlie's Angels' was run a few years ago (not long after Channel 5's run of MPI finished), and I'm near certain it was the Estate. If I'd have known beforehand I would have recorded the episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#158 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it when (or if) season 5 comes out. At 32x it doesn't take long to get through an episode. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#159 Post by J.J. Walters »

We definitely have to keep an eye out for the estate in Charlie's Angels! It looks like the first six episodes of Season Five (the final season) take place in Hawaii! Soon-Tek Oh plays a police lieutenant in all of them. Christopher Lee, Vic Morrow, Sonny Bono, Randolph Mantooth, Patch Mackenzie, Branscombe Richmond, Elizabeth Lindsey, Keye Luke, Moe Keale, and Cameron Mitchell make appearances in the "Hawaii episodes", as well.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#160 Post by rubber chicken »

Oh wow, all that is enough to make me watch even Charlie's Angels. :wink:

Actually you only needed to mention Elizabeth Lindsey, hehe.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#161 Post by Sam »

I haven't watched this yet..."Charlie's Angels" Angels in Paradise..Season two.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/charl ... 1008438910

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#162 Post by golfmobile »

I skimmed through that show (god, I forgot how bad it was . . . .) and didn't spot the Anderson Estate in that one. Quite a few shots on Waimanalo Beach, and rubberchicken would probably have a field day finding some locations used. But maybe if the Angels were in Hawaii for more than one episode?

golf

P.S. That was Episode 1, Season 2. As of right now, I can't find Episode 2 of the "Angels in Paradise" dual episodes. Still looking. Charlie has been kidnapped -- maybe in Episode 2 they find him at . . . . Robin's Nest! How appropriate! Still looking.
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#163 Post by Steve »

James J. Walters wrote:We definitely have to keep an eye out for the estate in Charlie's Angels! It looks like the first six episodes of Season Five (the final season) take place in Hawaii! Soon-Tek Oh plays a police lieutenant in all of them. Christopher Lee, Vic Morrow, Sonny Bono, Randolph Mantooth, Patch Mackenzie, Branscombe Richmond, Elizabeth Lindsey, Keye Luke, Moe Keale, and Cameron Mitchell make appearances in the "Hawaii episodes", as well.
Season five took place in 1980-81, so it would have overlapped with Magnum, pi. I do recall watching some of the Hawaiian filmed Charlies Angels a couple of years ago on one of our local stations just to see if I recognized some locations. I don't recall seeing The Estate, however I do thik that the home that "Charlie" had in Hawaii might have been used in a Magnum episode........I'm just not as good as Rubber Chicken and some of you others at nailing those things down........

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#164 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

Yes, you're right, I think. Now that you've reminded me (I noted when zipping through that episode but then forgot in my disappointment in not spotting RN), the house where Charlie was lounging in the swimming pool looks like the house in "Novel Connection." I've forgotten where that is exactly -- Kahala? -- RC would know. But someone else needs to grit his/her teeth to go through that episode and see if that is the same house. See if you can tell from these:

Or was it the house in the episode where TM pretended he was the insurance agent with the goofy glasses? Heck, I can't even remember the name of that episode.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#165 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yep, that does look like the house from "Novel Connection", Sunhala I believe it is called. RC will have to confirm it, though.

rubber chicken wrote:Cloth of Gold is a carnivorous gastropod, or cone snail in this case. In the show it's used as a murder weapon, which "can paralyze a man in less than a minute. Kill him in a couple of hours. And it's a particularly horrible way to die, death by inches." This is explained by a marine biologist at Sea Life Park, but the wiki page only says "Several human deaths have been attributed to this species."
Wow, that's not what I expected at all! :shock: