The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#111 Post by rubber chicken »

I decided to get the Hawaii Five-O dvd from netflix. It's the first disc of season three, episode 3.3 - The Second Shot. The estate features prominently in this episode (13 or 14 minutes not including indoor set scenes) which accounts for the ridiculous amount of screen shots (88 total). Those can be downloaded by going here (6 MB).

In the episode the estate is owned by Dr. Lemira, a self-exiled Greek doctor and politician who may be the target of hitmen. Here's some highlights of the screen shots:

A german shepherd at the estate before Zeus and Apollo's time.

There are indeed steps after entering the "front door."
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#112 Post by golfmobile »

What I find most interesting is how the estate was in SO MUCH BETTER shape back when Hawaii 5-0 was filiming there. Why was the estate allowed to get so rundown? That is so sad. I mean, the estate was built 40 years before the H5-0 years. Was it so difficult and expensive to keep it up for another 10-15 years? If one can afford the estate, one can't afford to keep it in good shape? That doesn't make much sense. What pleasure is there in having it if you can't maintain it? That would depress the heck out of me.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Sam »

RC,

A local channel shows HFO daily and this is an episode I haven't seen.

A question from your first cap .Does the driveway appear to have more curves in the HFO days vs the MPI days.

Golf,I agree,so much better in the HFO time.

If the exterior condition in its present state is an indication of the interior condition,I'm thinking it is a dump on a nice piece of property.

Thanks RC

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#114 Post by Vanity »

Not only does the driveway seem to have more curves than in MPI, but look at the lawn !!! I mean you actually can see the driveway from the grass, not a sort of a faded grass due to cars driving over and over it.
Golf, I fully agree.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#115 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome RC! Thank You!

Man, there are some really good shots of the inside of the house! The stairs and floor tiles are gorgeous.

I noticed that the front gate is different, too. It's wooden!

And there is a plaque by the front gate that says "Pahonu" (sea turtle in Hawaiian). I knew the estate was often called "Pahonu" (because of the ancient turtle pond), but I never knew it had a name plaque by the front gate. Very cool! I wonder if it's still there?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tralfaz
Admiral

#116 Post by Tralfaz »

James J. Walters wrote:....but I never knew it had a name plaque by the front gate. Very cool! I wonder if it's still there?
Yes it is. You can just make it out over on the right...

"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#117 Post by rubber chicken »

Meant to include the gate shot. It's also nice to see more (briefly) of the house by the gate. The Pahonu plaque is seen in at least one episode of Magnum P.I. - the one where Rick is guarding the gate with an Ozi if I remember right. I can't remember the episode though.
Sam wrote:A question from your first cap .Does the driveway appear to have more curves in the HFO days vs the MPI days.
It appears to be generally the same (second screenshot from Never Again...Never Again (1.7):
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by sophia »

I beleive that episode was J Digger Doyle.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#119 Post by J.J. Walters »

Upon further review, it appears that "Pahonu" translates to "turtle enclosure", not "sea turtle". My bad.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#120 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks sophia. I was wrong though, you only see an address plaque - "1429" which isn't the correct address for the Anderson estate. They covered the Pahonu plaque with the fake address

I was thinking of this picture, which was my starting point to find out about the history of the Pahonu Turtle Pond.

eeyore
Admiral

#121 Post by eeyore »

It looks like from the comparison above of the two photos of the driveways that the lawn had really deteriorated. It was much thicker, the sod was "taller" and it was so green! Heartbreaking to see such a fine home go to waste.
I remember reading a comment posted with the photos on the Pbase site from a lady who recalled how she and a friend as children had run of the estate. Either she or her friend was the daughter of the caretaker. She commented that the house was empty, no one was living there at the time, and I think she said it was in the 1950's. I have often wondered how Ms Anderson came to live at the property and at what age and if it was through her family or marriage. It would be interesting to have some history. Based on this, seems like someone moved in after the late 50's and must have kept the grounds in very good shape until the late 70's, 20 years or so.Unfortunately the comments over at Pbase have been updated and some of the older ones have been archived or deleted. This one I am quoting is now gone.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#122 Post by IslandHopper »

eeyore wrote:I have often wondered how Ms Anderson came to live at the property and at what age and if it was through her family or marriage. It would be interesting to have some history. Based on this, seems like someone moved in after the late 50's and must have kept the grounds in very good shape until the late 70's, 20 years or so.
I don't know what county the Anderson property is located, but the various deeds to the Anderson property are probably available on-line (as they are public records) in the respective county or city where the property is situated, e.g., Honolulu County Records, etc. The deeds should reveal exactly when Ms. Anderson was conveyed the property.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

eeyore
Admiral

#123 Post by eeyore »

It's Honolulu County. Last time I checked they didn't have those records online, you had to request copies in writing. :( I checked the Clerk's office, I was surprised they weren't available online.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#124 Post by SelleckLover »

Here is a post from the VM02 website from an Oahu local regarding the Eve Anderson estate:
It was reported on the old newsgroup that the land belongs to a trust. And it is well known that Eve Anderson is not a wealthy woman. She inherited.

I am assuming that any repairs and maintaining of the place is auhorised by a committee - - isn't that how trusts work????? That would explain why the place looks the way it does now that there is no production company to pay for upkeep of the garden.

Mutual friends tell me that Ms Anderson won't rent out the place for filming any more. It got to be not worth the money in aggrevation . . .

eeyore
Admiral

#125 Post by eeyore »

I'd like to know more about how a trust works, I've heard many versions. I have heard that if you are wealthy is is one way to protect your property from personal liability, almost like incorporating yourself if you open a business to protect your personal property. I have also heard that it is good to put your property into trust to make the transfer of title go quickly if you die and intend the property to go to someone else. If it is in trust, you die and the title can be transferred in a manner of weeks vs the months or years it might take under a traditional will. (this from Suze Orman)