The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1051 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Does anyone else think that Eve has probably been living in the gatehouse for some time, possibly years?

According to the real estate article (http://www.hawaiiislandhomes.com/homes- ... estyle-13/) the gatehouse is renovated and move-in ready, which we all know the main house is NOT. The main house is huge, old, cluttered, and in need of repair. Can you imagine trying to keep it clean?

You know that's not as uncommon as it might first sound. There are lots of old estates where the main house was torn down eventually, but the outbuildings were turned into homes when the property was subdivided. I have a friend who lives in Topanga Canyon near Malibu. Her husband is an architect and they remodeled their home which was a guest house of a large property built in the 20's. Down the road a bit is a home that used to be the stables. It's a very wooded area in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains. Both homes are on a private road which was built on the original property. I don't know if the main house is still around, though I don't think it is, or at least they've never mentioned it. Now I'm curious.

Mags80
Ensign

Hi Mags80! If you haven't already, you have to check out Ru

#1052 Post by Mags80 »

Thanks. I did browse through the Rubber Chickens guide, but will go through it in more detail before my trip. What a great resource.

Kimbosan
Captain

#1053 Post by Kimbosan »

Hi Guys,
The real estate agent has advised that the gatehouse is currently rented out.

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1054 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Wow, thanks for checking with the realtor on this, Kimbosan! Did you get any other info about the estate to share?

Kimbosan
Captain

#1055 Post by Kimbosan »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Wow, thanks for checking with the realtor on this, Kimbosan! Did you get any other info about the estate to share?
Hi Guys, yes I have heaps of info but it is all depressing, if you want I can share?

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#1056 Post by No need to know! »

Kimbosan wrote:Hi Guys,
The real estate agent has advised that the gatehouse is currently rented out.

Kimbosan
A rumour says that the gatehouse is rented as a summerhouse of John Hillerman. Any truth behind that?
Onion´s extra?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1057 Post by Steve »

Kimbosan wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Wow, thanks for checking with the realtor on this, Kimbosan! Did you get any other info about the estate to share?
Hi Guys, yes I have heaps of info but it is all depressing, if you want I can share?

Kimbosan
By all means, share................

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1058 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
Kimbosan wrote:

Kimbosan
By all means, share................
Hit us with it Kimbosan - we can handle it! :shock: :cry: :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1059 Post by KENJI »

I found this interesting and thought I would share........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Route_72 ......for the very few who don't know...Pahonu is located on this highway.
http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/hawaii/prince-kuhio/ .....I wonder if he knew Higgins when he fought in the Boar War! :wink:

Pahonu

#1060 Post by Pahonu »

I've been making some small changes to my model of Pahonu over the last few days, and something struck me that I hadn't really thought of before. We have discussed before the possibility that the estate was once on more land than it currently is, but have always focused on the Shriner property next door to the west. It was discovered by forum members that the Shriners owned the property before Dr Wall so that is unlikely. However, what about the properties to the east?

I've always thought it odd that the main house of the estate is so close to the east end of the property. There are three acres, but the architect placed the house maybe 30 feet from the neighbors. It doesn't make sense, unless there weren't any neighbors at the time. Looking at those neighbors, the properties are all the same depth as the Pahonu property, but dramatically narrower. These houses don't appear to be as old as Pahonu either, but I am less sure of this.

Another reason this idea came to me is in an analysis of the structure of the main house itself. It starts with the premise that any structure on an ocean-view property would seemingly be designed to maximize those views. Pahonu certainly does this in regards to the one-story ell along the seawall. However, the two-story main block is turned 90 degrees. This is where all five bedrooms are located. Only one of those bedroom directly faces the water. The others have more angled views such as you would get from the large upstairs balcony. If you look carefully, the front of the two-story main block has very few windows that could take in these more distant views of the water. In fact, it is dominated by the balcony which acts as an outside corridor off which the bedrooms are located, and the few windows that open onto the balcony are very small.

The rear of the two-story block, however has multiple paired glazed doors from all five of the bedrooms, as well as two terraces which would take full advantage of the views. Of course, now these views would be across the neighboring properties which are so close. The same is true on the first floor of the two-story block where there are no windows in the five arches, only two doors and a vent. Once again, the back has multiple paired glazed doors apparently looking right toward the neighbors. Bottom line, it seems the architect, Davis, oriented the secondary views of the water toward the back, not the side we are so familiar with. Why would he do that if the neighbors were so close? Perhaps they weren't there at all.

Any thoughts?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1061 Post by KENJI »

Hi Pahonu,

I bet back in the day the sight lines from the rear of Pahonu perfectly framed Rabbit Island from any window or balcony.
The trees that presently hide the view were either seedlings or not even there. Maybe they were planted as the east side became more developed. You might have a point with Pahonu's acreage being bigger OR there was nothing behind Pahonu at the time other than than some low scrub owned by the Territory. I can tell you that the Shriners took 18 years to buy their existing 1.25 acre plot which consisted of 10 plots (some owned by the Territory, some owned by a man named Lester Petrie who was the Mayor of Honolulu when Pearl Harbor was bombed and a Mason/Shriner..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Petrie and the piece right beside Pahonu was owned by a man named Caesar J. Lopez). So getting back to the east side of Pahonu......there might've been many tiny plots privately owned or combined with some owned by the Territory...a guess at best.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1062 Post by Sam »

Hi Pahonu,
Looking at the first 3 properties to the east and the years built..starting with the closest and moving east....1948..1945 ..and 1940 so if they did own it,they sold the property furthest away first.

Whether they owned the adjacent property or not I believe the house was built there to take advantage of the elevation.The property east of the line is 8-10 feet lower.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1063 Post by KENJI »

Hi Sam,

Nice find on the build dates!!!
This would mean that for the first 7yrs. Pahonu had an unspoiled view on that side (very private and most likely untouched raw land). Now if we could only find out who owned the titles of those properties when they were sold in 1940,45 and 48. The pattern in which they were sold (the property furthest away first) makes a strong case for them being possibly owned by Dr. Wall first. I wonder if those three properties equals 2 acres which would equate to Pahonu being a total of 5 acres back in the day and the number that we were told on the show (main compound).

Pahonu

#1064 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Kenji and Sam,

Good points and info. I know it's been established that the Shriners owned the land before Pahonu was created, but was it built on before Pahonu? The same question could apply to the properties to the east. Based on the design of Pahonu, it would seem the architect was taking advantage of sightlines and views based on the adjacent properties being unbuilt. More questions than answers, it seems.

I think the seawall might have been built and then backfilled behind to create a level platform for the mainhouse. It certainly places it in a very prominent position with great views even if the adjacent lots had some structures on them. It also allows it to be very close to the water but remain protected. Boy, would I like to pick the brain of the architect to understand his design process. It is a very unique structure to the islands beyond its Magnum connection. The Spanish Colonial Revival style, the very long seawall with house placed near and above the tide line, the isolation of the area, the turtle pond; all these and more make it quite a special place in the islands.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1065 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:Hey Kenji and Sam,

Good points and info. I know it's been established that the Shriners owned the land before Pahonu was created, but was it built on before Pahonu? The same question could apply to the properties to the east. Based on the design of Pahonu, it would seem the architect was taking advantage of sightlines and views based on the adjacent properties being unbuilt. More questions than answers, it seems.

I think the seawall might have been built and then backfilled behind to create a level platform for the mainhouse. It certainly places it in a very prominent position with great views even if the adjacent lots had some structures on them. It also allows it to be very close to the water but remain protected. Boy, would I like to pick the brain of the architect to understand his design process. It is a very unique structure to the islands beyond its Magnum connection. The Spanish Colonial Revival style, the very long seawall with house placed near and above the tide line, the isolation of the area, the turtle pond; all these and more make it quite a special place in the islands.
Hi Pahonu,

Just so we are on the same page....as far as we know the land that Pahonu stands on today hasn't been confirmed as being Shriner land prior to Pahonu being built. I'm not ruling it out, but nothing has come up to say for sure. Back to the Shriners plot that we know today.....it was actually built on in 1931 and continued to be built on as they acquired more land to make up the 1.25 acre compound.

I totally agree with you on the seawall theory! It makes complete sense on every point!

One point that might factor into the decision to build a Spanish Colonial design is Dr. Wall and his brothers came from California where more of this type of home was found.

It would've been great if we could go back in time and have a chat with Mr. Davis, better yet, watch the place being built!