The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#3016 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for those!

Two thoughts I had. It’s interesting to see in the second photo that some lava rock and mortar remains at the base of the sea wall after the renovation. Also, you can clearly see in more than one photo that the original plaster covered pillars of the boathouse lanai were removed during the renovation. They were replaced with wood as I commented on earlier.

That intercom photo was from the set of Higgins study at the Diamond Head Studios. It reflects the show’s depiction of Robin’s Nest as much bigger, not the reality of Pahonu. It reminds me of the estate map shown in the episode J. “Digger” Doyle. It also exaggerated the estate’s size and showed two gates, plus a stable, orchard, and several other features of Robin’s Nest that aren’t at Pahonu, or not where the map shows them to be.

In the photo you linked, the main gate button would be to the gate house, which was the servants’ quarters, and there is no separate guest house, just the boathouse depicting a guest house in the series. Also, there is no separate delivery gate, though any deliveries to the actual estate were probably allowed in by a servant in the gatehouse and directed to go through the garage wing to the rear parking court. To the left in that parking court was a gate leading to the service yard of the kitchen complex. I say complex, because the service wing included, a service porch, laundry room, cold storage room, half bath, storage pantry, main kitchen, servants’ dining room, service stairs, dumbwaiter, and butler’s pantry. The other end of the parking court, near the highway, had the tool room/workshop at the end of the garage wing, and a drying yard, as mechanical dryers were still quite rare in the 30’s even as washing machines had started to become more common.

JosipCro
Captain

#3017 Post by JosipCro »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:43 pm
Thanks for those!

Two thoughts I had. It’s interesting to see in the second photo that some lava rock and mortar remains at the base of the sea wall after the renovation. Also, you can clearly see in more than one photo that the original plaster covered pillars of the boathouse lanai were removed during the renovation. They were replaced with wood as I commented on earlier.

That intercom photo was from the set of Higgins study at the Diamond Head Studios. It reflects the show’s depiction of Robin’s Nest as much bigger, not the reality of Pahonu. It reminds me of the estate map shown in the episode J. “Digger” Doyle. It also exaggerated the estate’s size and showed two gates, plus a stable, orchard, and several other features of Robin’s Nest that aren’t at Pahonu, or not where the map shows them to be.

In the photo you linked, the main gate button would be to the gate house, which was the servants’ quarters, and there is no separate guest house, just the boathouse depicting a guest house in the series. Also, there is no separate delivery gate, though any deliveries to the actual estate were probably allowed in by a servant in the gatehouse and directed to go through the garage wing to the rear parking court. To the left in that parking court was a gate leading to the service yard of the kitchen complex. I say complex, because the service wing included, a service porch, laundry room, cold storage room, half bath, storage pantry, main kitchen, servants’ dining room, service stairs, dumbwaiter, and butler’s pantry. The other end of the parking court, near the highway, had the tool room/workshop at the end of the garage wing, and a drying yard, as mechanical dryers were still quite rare in the 30’s even as washing machines had started to become more common.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! :)

I don't know if it's an optical illusion or if the upstairs front wall has been removed in this photo? :?:

https://i.postimg.cc/26h0VqFy/352140584 ... 2118-n.jpg

Pahonu

#3018 Post by Pahonu »

JosipCro wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:23 pm
Thanks for those!

I don't know if it's an optical illusion or if the upstairs front wall has been removed in this photo? :?:

I think you are correct. Good eye! You can see the exposed roof rafters where they intersect with the far wall. They didn’t do that in the wall with the entry door upstairs. In the boathouse, part of the structural roof rafters were exposed in both the lanai and the main upstairs room. I say partially exposed, because they are revealed as they approach the exterior walls, but not entirely to the peak of the roof. Rather, a horizontal ceiling is plastered, with the rafters projecting into the walls and that slightly raised ceiling. I’ll see if I can find a picture to demonstrate what I’m trying to explain. To the right there are no exposed rafters as that is the area of the bathroom. You can see the small window facing the Shriners property. Thanks again for the pics! That one actually confirms one of the minor details in my model.

JosipCro
Captain

#3019 Post by JosipCro »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:14 pm
Thanks for those!

I think you are correct. Good eye! You can see the exposed roof rafters where they intersect with the far wall. They didn’t do that in the wall with the entry door upstairs. In the boathouse, part of the structural roof rafters were exposed in both the lanai and the main upstairs room. I say partially exposed, because they are revealed as they approach the exterior walls, but not entirely to the peak of the roof. Rather, a horizontal ceiling is plastered, with the rafters projecting into the walls and that slightly raised ceiling. I’ll see if I can find a picture to demonstrate what I’m trying to explain. To the right there are no exposed rafters as that is the area of the bathroom. You can see the small window facing the Shriners property. Thanks again for the pics! That one actually confirms one of the minor details in my model.

I was looking at the photo and something seemed strange. Then I noticed that from the angle of taking the photo (from the beach or the sea) you can see the bathroom window that looks towards the Shriners club. Then it became clear to me that the front wall had been removed. It is obvious that even the boat house is not the same anymore. :| Could it be that now they will rearrange it to be one like an open space with a covered balcony? Any opinions?

Pahonu

#3020 Post by Pahonu »

JosipCro wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:42 pm
Thanks for those!

I was looking at the photo and something seemed strange. Then I noticed that from the angle of taking the photo (from the beach or the sea) you can see the bathroom window that looks towards the Shriners club. Then it became clear to me that the front wall had been removed. It is obvious that even the boat house is not the same anymore. :| Could it be that now they will rearrange it to be one like an open space with a covered balcony? Any opinions?
Here are two photos showing the boathouse ceiling of the lanai. There’s also one showing the main upstairs room with a similar ceiling detail.

https://ibb.co/b5wXDsh

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#3021 Post by Aloha Friday »

Those are cool pictures. I was there in 2019...the main house was already torn down and cleared out. Construction of the new home(s) had not started yet. I debated jumping the fence and trying to find a souvenir, but chickened out. I regret not doing it. I just wanted a tile or piece of the building. If I had some other clothes on besides my work attire I might have just done it. I was there for a conference, so was not wearing suitable clothes for climbing the wall. I did get some pictures of the gate and the gatehouse.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

JosipCro
Captain

#3022 Post by JosipCro »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:47 am
JosipCro wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks for those!

Here are two photos showing the boathouse ceiling of the lanai. There’s also one showing the main upstairs room with a similar ceiling detail.

https://ibb.co/b5wXDsh

Yes, exactly. Judging by this photo, the boathouse is no longer in its original condition.

JosipCro
Captain

#3023 Post by JosipCro »

Aloha Friday wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 am Those are cool pictures. I was there in 2019...the main house was already torn down and cleared out. Construction of the new home(s) had not started yet. I debated jumping the fence and trying to find a souvenir, but chickened out. I regret not doing it. I just wanted a tile or piece of the building. If I had some other clothes on besides my work attire I might have just done it. I was there for a conference, so was not wearing suitable clothes for climbing the wall. I did get some pictures of the gate and the gatehouse.
Can you share those photos here? Given that many links to photos do not work.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#3024 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 am Those are cool pictures. I was there in 2019...the main house was already torn down and cleared out. Construction of the new home(s) had not started yet. I debated jumping the fence and trying to find a souvenir, but chickened out. I regret not doing it. I just wanted a tile or piece of the building. If I had some other clothes on besides my work attire I might have just done it. I was there for a conference, so was not wearing suitable clothes for climbing the wall. I did get some pictures of the gate and the gatehouse.
I'm not sure that jumping the fence is such a good idea. Not worth getting arrested for. It's private property. But I get what you're saying. :wink: Just to be able to walk on the premises would feel surreal. I was there in 2008 when everything was still intact. I still recall thinking how cool it would be to be on the other side of the stone wall and to just stroll around - the place definitely looked deserted. And then I was there in 2018 when the main house was already torn down. All I could do was swim in the tidal pool, sneak up to the rear gate Magnum-style, and just marvel from the tidal pool at what once was.

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#3025 Post by Philip Jennings »

Aloha Friday wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 am I debated jumping the fence and trying to find a souvenir, but chickened out.
That was probably for the best. You never know, some 10th-or-so generation Lads could have been on patrol and wound up chasing you across the property.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#3026 Post by Aloha Friday »

Here are some of the picture I took...one shot over the wall you can see the main house is long gone. I wanted to see if there was any rubble left on the ground I could fit in my carry-on bag. As mentioned previously, I chickened out. Image
The other shots are across the street looking at the main gate. You can see the gatehouse pretty clearly. Unfortunately, I could not see the guesthouse/boathouse from my vantagepoint...another reason why I wanted to jump the wall...Image
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

JosipCro
Captain

#3027 Post by JosipCro »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 am Here are some of the picture I took...one shot over the wall you can see the main house is long gone. I wanted to see if there was any rubble left on the ground I could fit in my carry-on bag. As mentioned previously, I chickened out. Image
The other shots are across the street looking at the main gate. You can see the gatehouse pretty clearly. Unfortunately, I could not see the guesthouse/boathouse from my vantagepoint...another reason why I wanted to jump the wall...Image
When I see that the main house is gone, that scene always makes me sad ... If it was possible to take some stone of the house or anything, that would be a great piece of memory of the old beauty. But thanks a lot for the pictures of the gatehouse. I will save them in the gallery.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3028 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hawaiianeye wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:29 am I was in Forty, Kapu, Little games, Death and taxes, and a few others. My former high school counselor was Tom’s stand in and some time stunt double. He started as Jack Lord’s stunt double. Then he started the Hawaii Stunt group and brought me in as a member.
Welcome Hawaiianeye, thanks for sharing your experience!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#3029 Post by To The Regiment »

Here are pics of the beach that someone posted on Instagram two days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu-pWrJviwl ... BiNWFlZA==

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#3030 Post by Raykv423 »

Hawaiianeye wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:29 am I was in Forty, Kapu, Little games, Death and taxes, and a few others. My former high school counselor was Tom’s stand in and some time stunt double. He started as Jack Lord’s stunt double. Then he started the Hawaii Stunt group and brought me in as a member.
He's probably Jack Lord's and Tom Selleck's long lost sibling 😂 haha

Jokes aside, that's cool! I'm sure he have some interesting stories, especially with Jack and Tom.