The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1021 Post by ThomasMagnum »

RG, I've since edited my post in regards to Theo H. Davies & Co/Clive Davies as I'm most likely wrong.

I made this assumption based on the fact that Louis Davis was working with Clive Davies on multiple project around the time the estate was built but it doesn't mean anything really. I only realised this after reading the Eve Anderson thread.

The divorce explains the burial placement.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1022 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I was thinking of going to the Bureau of Conveyances in Honolulu to view the land title(s) when I'm there this summer, but I'm trying to determine if I'm really interested enough to take time out of my vacation for that! :shock:

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1023 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Yes, RG - Please PM me any info you might have. Thanks :D

edit: What year did Wall divorce his first wife?

I just found the following in The Hawaiian gazette., July 12, 1912, Page 6 (under 'REALTY TRANSACTIONS')
Queen's Hospital to Ormond E Wall and wf............................Rel
Ormond E Wall and wf to Martha W Hobron..............................D
edit: moved the rest of my post to the Eve thread

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#1024 Post by J.J. Walters »

There are apparently a couple of developers looking at the property. Also, it appears that the boat house is in the shoreline setback and most likely will not be allowed to remain or be rebuilt.

:(
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1025 Post by 308GUY »

Bummer........ :cry:

Guess anybody who wants to see it as is..better hurry.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1026 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote: OK JJ, I don't know if you meant to do this or were just highlighting some rarely seen areas, but the middle two pictures show precisely the areas I have uncertainty about, and need help with.

Picture 2 The side of the gatehouse with the garage attached is speculative. I am only certain of a couple of second floor windows in the ell and the ones in the garage. The rest of the rear of the structure is a mystery.

THE CALL GOES OUT: ANY SLEUTHS OUT THERE, PHOTOS FROM THESE ANGLES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Sorry for shouting. :wink:
Hi Pohanu,

I’ve been trying to help find some shots of the side of the gatehouse with the garage...you're the resident architect of course, but I’m wondering something....your Sketchup shows the gatehouse with two garage bays...do you know for sure that there's not just one? Here’s why I ask:

1. In the pic below I zoomed in on an aerial I found, and there appears to be a bush/tree/greenery in the corner where the ell meets the house, which is where you have the left bay on Sketchup. On a side note, I think I can see a break in the greenery halfway along the length of the north side of the gatehouse, which indicates a pathway to the front door perhaps?

2. Below is a screen cap from Google Earth, and it appears the driveway goes to the right side of the ell and not to the left at all. Again, in this shot there appears to be a bush/tree in front of where you’ve put the left bay. I think you can also make out the front door in this shot.

3. Finally, I was watching The Kona Winds again, and the first scene in the gatehouse garage when both Tom and Higgins are in the garage...there appears to be a back wall and a side wall behind Higgins. If there were two bays, then that side wall to the left of Higgins wouldn't be there and it makes me wonder if that's the wall to the house. The dark section directly behind Higgins looks like it might be the door from the garage to the house.

Anyway, just wanted to toss that thought out there.

Thanks, Pahonu!
~RG

p.s. – I love the Google Earth pic that caught someone standing at the front gate! :D
Thanks RG! This is just the kind of help I needed. I think you might be right about there only being one bay. Areas I wasn't sure of had to be created with my own best guesses, but they are just that, guesses. I'll have to modify the model accordingly. Feel free to critique any other mistakes you see in the model. I won't take it personally. ;) I just want it to be as accurate as possible. Thanks again!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1027 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

J.J. Walters wrote:There are apparently a couple of developers looking at the property. Also, it appears that the boat house is in the shoreline setback and most likely will not be allowed to remain or be rebuilt.

:(
Hi JJ,

Can you give a little more info about the boathouse statement, that it “most likely will not be allowed to remain”?

I know Hawaii has a huge dilemma on its hands with disappearing beaches from sea walls and some structures. They’re trying to regulate future sea wall construction (aka “shoreline hardening”) that is causing the beaches to disappear. But it’s my understanding that they’re not to the point of having existing sea walls and structures demolished. They can’t even come to a consensus about future construction…it seems to be a real mess.

Anyway, just curious what more you can divulge?

Thanks JJ!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1028 Post by KENJI »

A few guesses........I'll bet that until now the boat house was grandfathered in due to it staying in the family, but once Eve sells, the City will want the new owner to address the issues with the boat house .....also I'm thinking that if Eve would've done a rebuild or major reno to it then she would've had to comply with today's standards and regulations making it either too costly or not possible (i.e. having to move it back to comply with new setbacks etc.). It actually makes more sense why Eve hasn't done anything with it. In addition, with the boat house not receiving those much needed repairs the building might be on the verge of being dangerous/unsafe and the City could then order it torn down (getting its way by just waiting until it basically falls down). The seawall is another big issue for a possible buyer...I would want to know if I can repair it or do I have to leave it and if I can do repairs, what are the restrictions/headaches and the costs involved....that will be a HUGE bill down the road (assuming they will even allow it).....BUYER BEWARE! I think if the developers are circling, then our worst case scenario might be just around the corner...level it and piece it out.....sad, very sad!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#1029 Post by J.J. Walters »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Can you give a little more info about the boathouse statement, that it “most likely will not be allowed to remain”?
All I know is that surveyors (from the seller) are surveying the property; something about a shoreline certification. I guess they have determined that the boathouse is in the shoreline setback and won't be allowed the stay. Why that is, I have no idea.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1030 Post by KENJI »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Can you give a little more info about the boathouse statement, that it “most likely will not be allowed to remain”?
All I know is that surveyors (from the seller) are surveying the property; something about a shoreline certification. I guess they have determined that the boathouse is in the shoreline setback and won't be allowed the stay. Why that is, I have no idea.
I wonder if a potential buyer asked if the boat house and seawall are shoreline certified and this is what Eve is doing now otherwise buyers might not want to touch it.....a total guess.
Here is the site with some of the definitions, rules, contacts etc..............http://ags.hawaii.gov/survey/shoreline/ ............also a shortcut, same site.............................
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/land/rules/ ... nd_Rev.pdf

also another site http://www6.hawaii.gov/dlnr/occl/shoreline.php

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1031 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
I wonder if a potential buyer asked if the boat house and seawall are shoreline certified and this is what Eve is doing now otherwise buyers might not want to touch it.....a total guess.
Here is the site with some of the definitions, rules, contacts etc..............http://ags.hawaii.gov/survey/shoreline/ ............also a shortcut, same site.............................
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/land/rules/ ... nd_Rev.pdf

also another site http://www6.hawaii.gov/dlnr/occl/shoreline.php
To sum it up, the State is trying to restrict any new structure (which includes seawalls and buildings) within the shoreline setback but they leave it open to interpretation and make decisions on a case by case basis...it depends on the type of structure, how big the structure is, and even the neighborhood. That’s where the “shoreline certification” comes in, which determines the shoreline setback for that particular property and dictates what the buyer can & can’t do. However, according to what I read yesterday, existing structures built before the law are grandfathered in.

So, I’m guessing that if the boat house is a tear down, the thinking is why allow someone to rebuild it within the shoreline setback…even if it is behind a seawall. That’s why I wondered if JJ had some “inside scoop” on Eve’s particular situation.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1032 Post by KENJI »

A few more pics to add to our collection....... http://www.heyhawaii.com/Oahu/Magnum_PI ... awaii.html

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#1033 Post by steveadl »

I remember the talk of the sea creeping in and corresponding erosion, sea wall problems etc when I was there.

Having said that, I'm not that knowledgable on the subject so will ask the question - is it a big issue on the windward side of Oahu? I ask as the beach/tide looks pretty similar nowadays as it did during filming 30+ years ago ie. even back then at high tide there was pretty much no beach. When I was there few years back, it seemed about the same.

In regards to the demolition issue discussed few pages back - I don't know what the laws are like in US, but over here in Austrlaia its not unheard of for developers or even just rich individuals to tear down a property, approved or not. If council impose a $100k fine on the rich guy, so be it - he's spending $3M building a new mansion anyway, just an additional cost to add to the sums.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1034 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

steveadl wrote:I remember the talk of the sea creeping in and corresponding erosion, sea wall problems etc when I was there.

Having said that, I'm not that knowledgable on the subject so will ask the question - is it a big issue on the windward side of Oahu?
Yes, it's a huge issue on the windward side, as well as other parts of Oahu and the other islands. The State is having to continually do sand replenishment projects. Waikiki just finished a huge replenishment project in 2012, and over on the windward side, beautiful Lanikai Beach has practically disappeared. The seawalls that all the homeowners have built over the years have actually compounded beach erosion, sending all their beach sand north to Kailua.

If you're interested, this is a really great website with a lot of historical data, maps, you can even drill down to view erosion data house by house: http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/erosion/

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1035 Post by ThomasMagnum »

In regards to the Realty Transaction I posted previously - I missed a few lines:
Ormond E Wall and wf to Martha W Hobron, D; por gr 3291, rents etc. Hassenger and Piikoi Sts, Honolulu, Oahu; $7500. B 368, p 254. July 2, 1912
Queen's Hospital to Ormond E Wall and wf, Rel; por gr 3291, Hassinger St, Honolulu, Oahu; $5000. B 369, p 189. July 1, 1912.
plus this regarding Dr. Wall's brother
Walter E Wall and wf to Territory of Hawaii, D; 18560 sq ft of No 2, R Ps 1941 and 1945, Punahou, Honolulu, Oahu; conveyance. B 372, p 50. June 26, 1912
Source: Honolulu Star-Bulletin - August 3, 1912, p. 20.