The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1006 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:What caught my eye is the far right (southern side?) side of the Estate, by the Pagoda shaped building on the adjoining property, there's a long structure with a reflective top, maybe glass panels.

Is this the elusive greenhouse?
On page 55 of this thread circled in blue you can see the reflective top again.
Pahonu thinks it's the bath house.

At first I thought they might be solar panels, but I'm not thinking that now that I've zoomed in.

What do you think Pahonu? Was it the norm for a Spanish Col. to have skylights in the bath house? It would make it a lot more brighter and inviting in there that's for sure.
Hey Conch,

I haven't had a chance to congratulate you on all the cool stuff you've been doing with CoziTV. Great job!

Sadly, unlike the show, the estate seems never to have actually had a greenhouse. According to the tax records, it once had a lath house, which would look quite a bit different.
Thanks Pahonu!!

You had mentioned about the lathe structure in the past. Darn those lost brain cells . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1007 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:This may sound crazy but.... We could enter a nomination?
Doesn't sound so "crazy" to me... :magnum:

Looking at the criteria, it would seem the property would fall into at least one catagory,
(A or B?), maybe it's a stretch, but if Ferrari saw an increase in interest/sales of the 308 as a direct result of exposure on this tv show, which basically was headquartered from this property, that "affected various aspects of social history and commerce" in that it increased tax revenue overall (I said it may be a "stretch" :lol:), but just going on logic, if the show was influential enough to have warrented the inclusion of items belonging to TS on display in the Smithsonian, you would think it could be classified as being historically significant enough to qualify as some kind of "historical" site? :magnum:

"Ramblin maaaaaan.....yea!" :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1008 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ThomasMagnum wrote:I was watching HF0 yesterday and I got the glimpse of the gatehouse so I took some photos

Also, in the episode they show what is meant to be the estate's kitchen. Is it?

It's a shame the estate isn't registered - My understanding is that there are 2 registers: a National Register and a State Register.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... gs_in_Oahu

There are 151 buildings in Oahu that are part of the Register. When you look at a few of them, its hard to believe that Pahonu isn't among them (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boettcher_Estate). Having said that, this should have been done 30 years ago.

I see that Spalding House/HMoA is listed (Echoes of the Mind). Registered in 1972.

Eligibility criteria:
Any individual can prepare a National Register nomination, although historians and historic preservation consultants often are employed for this work. The nomination consists of a standard nomination form and contains basic information about a property's physical appearance and the type of significance embodied in the building, structure, object, site, or district. The State Historic Preservation Office receives National Register nominations and provides feedback to the nominating individual or group. After preliminary review, the SHPO sends each nomination to the state's historic review commission, which then recommends whether the State Historic Preservation Officer should send the nomination to the Keeper of the National Register. For any non-Federally owned property, only the State Historic Preservation Officer may officially nominate a property for inclusion in the National Register. After the nomination is recommended for listing in the National Register by the SHPO, the nomination is sent to the National Park Service, which approves or denies the nomination. If approved, the property is entered officially by the Keeper of the National Register into the National Register of Historic Places. Property owners are notified of the nomination during the review by the SHPO and state's historic review commission. If an owner objects to a nomination of private property, or in the case of a historic district, a majority of owners, then the property cannot be listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Criteria

For a property to be eligible for the National Register, it must meet at least one of the four National Register main criteria. Information about architectural styles, association with various aspects of social history and commerce, and ownership are all integral parts of the nomination. Each nomination contains a narrative section that provides a detailed physical description of the property and justifies why it is significant historically with regard either to local, state, or national history. The four National Register of Historic Places criteria are the following.

Criterion A, "Event," the property must make a contribution to the major pattern of American history.
Criterion B, "Person," is associated with significant people of the American past.
Criterion C, "Design/Construction," concerns the distinctive characteristics of the building by its architecture and construction, including having great artistic value or being the work of a master.
Criterion D, "Information potential," is satisfied if the property has yielded or may be likely to yield information important to prehistory or history.

The criteria are applied differently for different types of properties; for instance, maritime properties have application guidelines different from those of buildings.

Exclusions

There are specific instances where properties usually do not merit listing in the National Register. As a general rule, cemeteries, birthplaces, graves of historical figures, properties owned by religious institutions or used for religious purposes, moved structures, reconstructed historic buildings, commemorative properties, and properties that have achieved significance during the last fifty years are not qualified for listing on the Register. There are, however, exceptions to all the preceding; mitigating circumstances allow properties classified in one of those groups to be included.
This may sound crazy but.... We could enter a nomination?

(Since the wrecking ball is on the cards I'd rather die trying)
I see McKinley High School is on the Register, and Louis E. Davis was the architect for both McKinley and Pahonu. However, there also might be a problem with Eve. The criteria states, "If an owner objects to a nomination of private property, or in the case of a historic district, a majority of owners, then the property cannot be listed in the National Register of Historic Places." Since she's trying to sell this might deter some potential buyers who want to raze it. :(

~RG

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1009 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrant's Girl wrote:However, there also might be a problem with Eve. The criteria states, "If an owner objects to a nomination of private property, or in the case of a historic district, a majority of owners, then the property cannot be listed in the National Register of Historic Places." Since she's trying to sell this might deter some potential buyers who want to raze it.

Party pooper......... :magnum:

(J/K..)

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1010 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:However, there also might be a problem with Eve. The criteria states, "If an owner objects to a nomination of private property, or in the case of a historic district, a majority of owners, then the property cannot be listed in the National Register of Historic Places." Since she's trying to sell this might deter some potential buyers who want to raze it.

Party pooper......... :magnum:

(J/K..)
Ya, I thought that too after I hit "submit"! By the way, your "J/K" is awfully small...didn't you see the average age of the Magnum Maniac poll? :wink:

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1011 Post by ThomasMagnum »

The photos I posted should appear now. Had them set to private hence why they didn't show up before.
308GUY wrote:you would think it could be classified as being historically significant enough to qualify as some kind of "historical" site? :magnum:
furthermore

(From the Realtor's website)

http://www.cbpacific.com/m/IDXDetail.as ... &uid=64453
Historic home built in 1933, "Pahonu" is 3 acres with beautiful oceanfront and historic turtle pond. Graceful, European style home designed by Louis Davis. Gated house, boat house, tennis courts, extra large garage with workshop and separate bath house. A very rare Kamaaina offering. Property is zoned R-10.
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: Since she's trying to sell this might deter some potential buyers who want to raze it. :(
~RG
Ok a few things to consider here:

Is Ms Anderson aware that the house could be demolished? Maybe this hasn't crossed her mind?

I'm not sure how it works in Hawaii, specifically in Honolulu County. (at least this is how it works where I live) You would need to apply for a permit to the City to undertake any development, right? Would the City approve?

In some parts of the world, an historical building can be worth more than a new development as it offers something unique, regardless on how high-end the new building is.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1012 Post by 308GUY »

Well.....if a hundred of us all pitched in $160,000 each, WE could buy it. Then in two years time, we could all have had our time share there! :lol:

Wait...I'll go check my piggy bank.

Sorry folks, guess I shouldn't waste J.J.'s bandwidth this way, but I like making people laugh when I can.

Sometimes, we just have to accept the present for what it is and let the past live in our cherished memories.

Not saying Pahonu can't be saved, salvaged or "rescued", it just looks like it's "hayday" has passed. Still think it could be refurbished to it's former glory, but it would take quite a bit of "doing" and unlimited resources (ca$h!) I mean the boys on Mythbusters proved you CAN polish a turd, but when you get done, all you've got is a shiney turd!

K...rambling again. :magnum: Believe it or not, sometimes I actually make sense, at least to me! :shock:

I'll continue to hold out hope that the property gets preserved, intact, in time for me to get there and see it up close and personal, well, at least as close as any have been able to without being in the "pug" club! :lol:

HAGO! :magnum:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1013 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:Well.....if a hundred of us all pitched in $160,000 each, WE could buy it. Then in two years time, we could all have had our time share there! :lol:

Wait...I'll go check my piggy bank.

Sorry folks, guess I shouldn't waste J.J.'s bandwidth this way, but I like making people laugh when I can.

Sometimes, we just have to accept the present for what it is and let the past live in our cherished memories.

Not saying Pahonu can't be saved, salvaged or "rescued", it just looks like it's "hayday" has passed. Still think it could be refurbished to it's former glory, but it would take quite a bit of "doing" and unlimited resources (ca$h!) I mean the boys on Mythbusters proved you CAN polish a turd, but when you get done, all you've got is a shiney turd!

K...rambling again. :magnum: Believe it or not, sometimes I actually make sense, at least to me! :shock:

I'll continue to hold out hope that the property gets preserved, intact, in time for me to get there and see it up close and personal, well, at least as close as any have been able to without being in the "pug" club! :lol:

HAGO! :magnum:
Are you calling Pahonu a turd? Preposterous! :higgins:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1014 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrant's Girl wrote:Are you calling Pahonu a turd? Preposterous! :higgins:

No...no...no! Seems like the ones that see it being razed think of it that way, but maybe it is closer to reality than any of us would hope.

I'm saying it could be resurrected, but it would take quite a bit of doing. None of us has been inside that I know of, and none of the real estate ad pictures show any interior shots of the building thus far, so it could be pretty bad. Thing is...we don't know at this point. I'm not one to give up on something "dear" to me, so I drive old cars that I like, keep old clothes that are comfortable, play old guitars that have a few nicks, and I'd certainly do everything within my power to retain Pahonu as it was, or as we imagine it to be, before I ever considered tearing it down and starting over. Bottom line is, none of us knows what the current condition is. There are some instances where it is better to cut your losses and start over. :wink:

All academic for me anyway, as at the moment, I couldn't afford a plane ticket to go look! :lol:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1015 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote: OK JJ, I don't know if you meant to do this or were just highlighting some rarely seen areas, but the middle two pictures show precisely the areas I have uncertainty about, and need help with.

Picture 2 The side of the gatehouse with the garage attached is speculative. I am only certain of a couple of second floor windows in the ell and the ones in the garage. The rest of the rear of the structure is a mystery.

THE CALL GOES OUT: ANY SLEUTHS OUT THERE, PHOTOS FROM THESE ANGLES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Sorry for shouting. :wink:
Hi Pohanu,

I’ve been trying to help find some shots of the side of the gatehouse with the garage...you're the resident architect of course, but I’m wondering something....your Sketchup shows the gatehouse with two garage bays...do you know for sure that there's not just one? Here’s why I ask:

1. In the pic below I zoomed in on an aerial I found, and there appears to be a bush/tree/greenery in the corner where the ell meets the house, which is where you have the left bay on Sketchup. On a side note, I think I can see a break in the greenery halfway along the length of the north side of the gatehouse, which indicates a pathway to the front door perhaps?

2. Below is a screen cap from Google Earth, and it appears the driveway goes to the right side of the ell and not to the left at all. Again, in this shot there appears to be a bush/tree in front of where you’ve put the left bay. I think you can also make out the front door in this shot.

3. Finally, I was watching The Kona Winds again, and the first scene in the gatehouse garage when both Tom and Higgins are in the garage...there appears to be a back wall and a side wall behind Higgins. If there were two bays, then that side wall to the left of Higgins wouldn't be there and it makes me wonder if that's the wall to the house. The dark section directly behind Higgins looks like it might be the door from the garage to the house.

Anyway, just wanted to toss that thought out there.

Thanks, Pahonu!
~RG

p.s. – I love the Google Earth pic that caught someone standing at the front gate! :D

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1016 Post by ThomasMagnum »

I just found out (although I'm sure some of you knew this - also noted on the MM Robin's Nest page) that the Pahonu Turtle Pond is listed in the National and State Register of Historic Places

It was first listed on September 2, 1978. State Site Number 80-15-1037 | Tax Map Key 4-1-02:07

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#1017 Post by J.J. Walters »

KENJI wrote:I've just watched Vegas - Aloha, You're Dead again and I really think the interior footage of the estate MIGHT be real. If not, they did a great job in blending the interior with the exterior shots....look at the beams on the inside and how they match the beams supporting the upper covered lanai. The fireplace seems to match with location of the real one (assuming there is another room behind the door that we can see in the shot. I know Hollywood is good at fooling us so it will be interesting to see if the pending listing pics match this show. Can anyone post some interior pics from this show so we can discuss some more? Another interesting angle shows that slightly raised roof on the beach wing of the house and it does look open underneath which points to more ventilation for the house. Any thoughts? If you love Pahonu you have to watch this episode....lots of footage!
It was neat to see some familiar faces from Magnum in this episode, including the Hawaiian FBI agent who I think was in Dead Man's Channel playing a possible kahuna.(....correct me if I'm wrong).
I finally watched "Aloha, You're Dead!" Fun episode! They filmed all over the Estate and used many actors who would appear on Magnum (Branscombe Richmond, Manu Tupou, Elissa Dulce Hoopai, Seth Sakai and others). And I think you're right, Kenji. It does appear that they filmed inside the main house in a couple of scenes, in the beach wing and the room just inside the balcony!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QSTeHd7_E

Beach wing

Balcony room

Chopper landing

Elissa Hoopai

One scene that cracked me up was when Urich escaped from the Estate and was being chased by the bad guys. Almost immediately after fleeing the Estate he finds himself at Kapena Falls! LOL! And then he jumps in head first. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1018 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for posting these terrific screen caps James! "Aloha, You're Dead!" is a MUST for any Pahonu fan!
Glad you think those shots are from the Estate as well.

I know the scene you are talking about where Dan is trying to escape from the Estate......hmmm maybe it really is 200 acres. :wink: It had me smiling as well.....in the real world we would've seen him climb a small wall, take a few steps through some brush and then get hit by a Roberts Hawaii Tour Bus (Wile E Coyote style)......Hollywood can be clever, but we know better after 30+ years.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1019 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Great post J.J.! :D

I'm currently writing a Pahonu article for Wikipedia (it's a draft at the moment - hasn't been submitted) - Wikipedia did have a Robin's Nest article as it got deleted since it was unsourced and based on the fictional estate.

I'm trying to find info on Louis Davis and how the whole thing came about - I've found some information that I hadn't come across before.

One thing that I need to know - The gentleman that hired Davis to design Pahonu - was it Wall or did he buy the land off someone else and then hire Davis himself?

EDIT: Ok I've just read RG post in the Eve thread regarding Moses E. Grossman and the land. What I'm interested to find out is at what stage does the Architect get involved. I didn't know that Dr. Wall remarried until now.

I think some of this might have been mentioned in the Eve Glover Anderson thread - but just in case..

Regarding Dr. Wall - This from the Honolulu Evening Bulletin - May 31, 1905
HILO SOCIETY ASSEMBLY. Hilo, May 23. Mr. and Mrs. Philip Peck entertained a small party of young people at cards last Tuesday evening. In honor of their daughter Emilie and Dr. Ormand Wall of Honolulu, whoso nuptials are announced to take place In the fall. Progressive Five Hundred entertained the guests until the supper hour, when the sumptuous parlors were cleared for dancing. Miss Ivy Richardson and Mr. Wm. McKay respectively carried of the lady and gentleman's prizes for proficiency at cards. During an intermission Dr. Ormand Wall and Miss Emilie Peck delighted the gathering with a violin duet, which was exquisitely rendered and heartily applauded. Those present were: Mesdames Richardson, Can-tendyk, Metcalfe, Baldwin, McKay, Elliot, Misses Hapai (3), Richardson (2), Ahrens, Shipman, Messrs. Dr. Wall, Sam Peck, Day, lrwln, Grace. Hallor, Hapai, English, Sumner and Ridgway.
from the Hilo Tribune, 8 August 1905
The Wall-Peck Nuptials. Amid a bower of roses and greenery last Thursday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Peck, their daughter Emilie was united in marriage to Dr. Ormand Wall of Honolulu. The ceremony was the impressive but simple Episcopal service, performed by the Rev. W. C. Stewart, the bridal couple standing in the beautiful lanai of "Wehiku-lani," the sumptuous home of the bride's father and mother. Mrs. E. D. Baldwin rendered the wedding march from "Lohengrin" and the bride came into the room promptly at 8:30 o'clock on the arm of her father. She wore a Parisian effect in white chiffon, with flowing bridal veil. The only ornament worn by the bride was her mother's bridal ring. Mrs. J. E. Metcalfe presided a.s matron of honor, and Dr. Alfred C. Wall attended the groom as best man. Mrs. Peck, who had been confined to her room for several days previous, was wheeled near the bridal group and witnessed the ceremony. After the groom had bestowed the wedding ring and embraced his wife, Mrs. Peck received the first kiss from the bride, after which the couple were the recipients of a profusion of felicitations from those assembled. Following the wedding, an elaborate supper was served in the spacious dining hall. As the occasion was the thirty-sixth anniversary of the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Peck, especial interest was given to the happy event. At 10:30 p. m. Mr. and Mrs. Wall departed on a special train for Olaa and the Volcano House. They will reside on Wilder avenue, Honolulu. Among the guests present were: Sam Peck, Dr. A. C. Wall and Fred C. Smith, Honolulu.Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Ross., Hakalau; Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Metcalfe, Papaikou; Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Moir, Onomea; Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Stobie, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. McKay, Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Baldwin, Judge and Mrs. G. W. A. Hapai, Mrs. Jules Richardson, Mrs. W. H. Shipman, Misses Mary Shipman, Ivy Richardson, Ruth Richardson, Lilinoe Hapai, Louisa Hapai; Messrs. G. N. Day, Geo. Hapai, Dr. C. L. Stow, Dr. Archer Irwin, Dr. H. B. Elliot, Dr.. J. J. Grace and W. S, Wise
Dr & Mrs Wall are both buried at Oahu cemetery - but not together

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =120382719
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =119676357&

Emilie is buried with her siblings.

On Philip Peck, Emilie's father, I found out that he was the manager of the Mauna Coffee Company at some stage and was (he or the company he was part of) one of the first coffee planters in Hawaii. In 1903, he introduced the Jamaican banana to the islands. He was also the founder of the Bank of Hilo. He was part owner/investor in the railway system of Hilo at the turn of the century.

His house was destroyed in a fire around January 1904 . Loss of $22,000.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =119516265&
Last edited by ThomasMagnum on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1020 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi TM,

I've been researching a bit of the same! I have a question for you...how do you know that T. Clive Davies owned the land? I'd love to read about that if you have a link.

Also, yes we've touched on some of this in the Eve Anderson thread. Ormand Wall & Emilie Peck actually divorced, and Eve's biological grandfather is not Ormand, rather Moses Edmund Grossman. Grossmand died and Ormand married Eve's grandmother, Julia Shepherd. I can PM you all the details on that if interested.

Eve's grandmother, Julia Shepherd, is actually in the same columbarium as Ormand, but interestingly she's listed on the same placard as her first husband and their two children: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =121159835&

Finally, I can't quite make out the name you've highlighted on the image in your post..does it say "Young" Davies?

Thanks TM!

~RG