The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2986 Post by Pahonu »

OMG_Germany wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:11 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:44 pm That is a project after my own heart. :lol:

The massing looks very good, though I see a few minor mistakes. The placement of door and window openings has more problems. This is the view that most people are familiar with. I wonder about the other sides. It took years of sleuthing and the help of so many people on Magnum Mania for me to create the digital model accurately. In fact, that’s why I joined MM 15 plus years ago! I had basically reached the point seen here and needed help. I certainly got it. :magnum:

I would contact him to offer any wanted assistance but for two reasons: I don’t have Facebook account, and it says comments are turned off.
Hello, I am the one who built the model of Pahonu in 1:100 scale. Hopefully I am sending this message in the correct place. I know that my model is certainly not a perfect representation of the real building, but the fans on Facebook at least recognized it as Robin's Nest. It was only supposed to be an architectural model, so no painting, tile roof, etc. If I understood Tedd Wilson correctly, you have already designed the house in AutoCAD or similar software? I plan in the future to rebuild it again in 1:64 scale, this time with wall paint, windows, doors and whatnot. I'm sure it will take a lot of effort and I don't know much about the materials. If you have already made the drawings in AutoCAD or similar, would it be possible to share them, for example as a dxf file? It would be very very helpful. I made my model from the floor plans and photos available online. Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday. Greetings, Arnd

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Very well done on the current model. The floor plans online are mine and were created using tax records, a plot plan drawn before the sale, newspaper descriptions from the year it was built, and photos from many contributors. The plans are highly accurate in terms of external dimensions and door and window placement. The actual interiors of the home were not used on MPI and all the information on those rooms comes from other TV shows that filmed there and the 1933 newspaper articles.

Unfortunately, there have been no historic blueprints published that I am aware of, so the precise interior wall placement is less accurate. All the rooms are correctly placed in general, and those seen in photos are properly dimensioned. However, several rooms have not been seen as far as I know, so details are less certain. The list of rooms never seen include the two downstairs bedroom suites, the middle of the three upstairs bedroom suites, and several service spaces, such as a sewing room, butler’s pantry, trunk room and service stairs, among others.

The living room, library and den/bar in the one-story ell have all been seen and are modeled correctly. Only the half bath in that part of the home has not been seen. In the main block, the two-story stair hall, dining room, two upstairs bedrooms, one sitting room, and one dressing room have been seen. In the service wing to the rear, the kitchen, laundry room, garage bays and the workshop at the end of the garage have all been seen.

I do not have AutCAD files. I used Google SketchUp to make both a 3D model and the floor plans. I can certainly share those files with you, but there may be a problem. I used the most recent downloadable version of SketchUp the last time I updated the model. They have since switched to an online version that is much more limited in model size. The end result is that my model is so large that it doesn’t view properly in the current online platform. I still have the downloaded version on my laptop and use that to view or modify it.

I can make the files available to you from the cloud if you provide me an email. You can PM that to me if you’d like. I’ve provided it to other forum members. Then it will be up to you to figure out how to view it unfortunately. Let me know what you would like to do, and I am excited to see your new model when you are done or any more photos of the current model.

Pahonu

#2987 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:52 pm Hello to all, I am very happy to be able to reappear on this forum! I hope that you all go for the best!

I come back on the small debate between Ivan and Pahonu about the variation of the seafront walls height between 19080 and 2022. I know it may seem a bit speculative but I made these two screenshots.

https://ibb.co/ncjQV6P
https://ibb.co/NZVTDQ3

I made a rough measurement based on the (estimated) height of our favorite actor, who here is standing a bit bent over on his legs (Higgins watchtower in sight!)

You can see in the 1980 version that the rocks at the bottom are clearly visible, unlike in 2022.

As I don't think that the wall was cut down in 2022 (it was rather raised), my opinion is that the configuration of the beach has been modified. The tides seem to have, for the last two years, amassed an important layer of sand (60 cm?) at this precise location, which seems to be corroborated by the videos mentioned above.

My opinion is that the surrounding seawall at this place has kept its original height during its refurbishment. so it would be more a question of packed sand at this precise area.

A bientôt !

edit: having a materialized model of what was Anderson Estate is undoubtedly of utmost interest !
Hey GM, great to hear from you again. Thanks for the analysis and you are spot on about the changing sand level. It pretty much makes measurement of the wall above the sand meaningless, as it constantly changes. It can change remarkably quickly too, not just over the years.

I used this example several years back when some forum members suspected there had been some kind of dredging near the sea wall. It was in the 90’s in Malibu where we occasionally filmed when I was in production. On one stretch they were renovating a home on the sand and had to pour new concrete caissons to bear the weight of a second story. We were there on a day they were taking the cylindrical forms off the concrete. We were back in the area maybe a month or two later and the sand had washed away enough to show the rough concrete from the borehole. It was at least two feet lower, possibly more. They go about 30 feet into the sand. Later that year it was back up and covering the rough concrete. A couple of big storms and enough wave action can change the sand level much faster than most people that haven’t witnessed it realize.

I do know how the sea walls were modified from reading the EIR documents. (I have those stored somewhere) I can’t give exact measurements from memory but essentially, they raised the lower sections of the sea wall by the boathouse and toward the beach gate. They were not raised to the level of the highest section by the main house but a middle level based on current code. While only two sections were raised, all got some kind of reinforcement from behind.

The sea wall was actually built in three sections all at different times, and they are all slightly different in detail. Some have the curved “lip” at the top, some are terraced up and down, parts are relatively straight and parts quite angular. All three sections are raked back at differing angles. When Pahonu’s land was assembled, the tallest section by the main house and the lowest section by the boathouse were already present, but on different properties. The middle section was built to connect them and provide security along with a new perimeter wall.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#2988 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:08 pm
OMG_Germany wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Hello, I am the one who built the model of Pahonu in 1:100 scale. Hopefully I am sending this message in the correct place. I know that my model is certainly not a perfect representation of the real building, but the fans on Facebook at least recognized it as Robin's Nest. It was only supposed to be an architectural model, so no painting, tile roof, etc. If I understood Tedd Wilson correctly, you have already designed the house in AutoCAD or similar software? I plan in the future to rebuild it again in 1:64 scale, this time with wall paint, windows, doors and whatnot. I'm sure it will take a lot of effort and I don't know much about the materials. If you have already made the drawings in AutoCAD or similar, would it be possible to share them, for example as a dxf file? It would be very very helpful. I made my model from the floor plans and photos available online. Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday. Greetings, Arnd

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Outstanding! Success......very glad you decided to weigh in and get you and Pahonu together on this project. I'm sure Pahonu would only want to provide facts, figures and suggestions and in no way would try to tell you how to build your model, which already looks fantastic. Oh and by the way I am the guy that you mention and here I am known as "308 GUY".

Looking forward to seeing your project go forward and be the goto example of what once was, but unfortunately is no more. Now it can exist again in the "real world" rather than just in picures and on film. Together with Pahonu's research and plans the world will have an actual example to look at, walk around and be in awe of. I still think one of the billionaires ( :lol: ) on this board, should rebuild the estate on their own piece of beach front property somewhere in the world, and your handbuilt excellent model can serve as the inspiration.

Thanks for building it, for sharing it and for being receptive to comments, and for reaching out to those who will defintitely apprciate it to the fullest and some of whom can actually make useful suggestions.

I for one am so looking forward to seeing this in it's final stages. :D :magnum:
:D
Seeing your post here is one of the best thing that's happend for me in quite a while....Danke! & Mahalo! :D
Hey 308 Guy,
I’m sure hoping we can make this happen. I just want to provide the most accurate information I can about the house to every fan here. :magnum: More so now that it’s gone. I reached out and am willing to share everything I’ve learned and assembled over the last 15 years. There is a little hiccup involving SketchUp changing its platform but I’m hopeful we can get past it, especially with all the help available here on the forum.

I can’t even believe this thread is on page 200 and almost 3000 posts!!!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2990 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

308GUY wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:08 pm I still think one of the billionaires ( :lol: ) on this board, should rebuild the estate
Someone called my name? :lol:

Pahonu

#2991 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:51 pm
308GUY wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:08 pm I still think one of the billionaires ( :lol: ) on this board, should rebuild the estate
Someone called my name? :lol:
I can provide you the plans! What are you waiting for? :magnum:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2992 Post by Sam »

Hi Pahonu..
Question for you regarding this link..

https://imgbb.com/v3FtZzg

For some reason I believe it was mentioned that there could be no construction over the storm drain.

Eyeballing the link and a previous posted aerial photo it looks that's not the case..
Not a big deal because I'm not sure if it's something I read...OR thought I read.
Sam

Pahonu

#2993 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:11 am Hi Pahonu..
Question for you regarding this link..

https://imgbb.com/v3FtZzg

For some reason I believe it was mentioned that there could be no construction over the storm drain.

Eyeballing the link and a previous posted aerial photo it looks that's not the case..
Not a big deal because I'm not sure if it's something I read...OR thought I read.
Sam
Hey Sam,
I have never read anything specific about not having construction over the storm drain easement. An easement essentially grants access to a property by a non-owner of that property. Some common types are road access, sidewalk access, and utilities. On the coast, beach access is often an easement requirement, but that’s not the case here because, one, it is for a storm drain (utility), and two, it had the original estate wall built over it back in 1933. Beach access is available beyond the Shriners property next door via the beach park.

All that said, the government could at some time in the future need to access part of the drain from above for repairs, so it would be unwise to build your home completely over it. That doesn’t seem to be the case here though, as the two parcels were divided approximately at the point of the easement and the main structures are to either side of it. It looks to me as though the architect considered this in the new plan.

This easement is at least part of the reason for the location of the old main house on one side of the property and the gatehouse, boathouse, and tennis court being on the other. It’s very possible that repairs might have been made by digging into the lawn in the past and then covering it back over. That could be done with the new construction, or even breaking through the driveway if necessary.

Pahonu

#2994 Post by Pahonu »

I wanted to add this photo and comment to the thread simply because it relates to the concept of Pahonu’s boathouse and how it was designed and built.

I was watching the most recent episode of This Old House in Ipswich MA and the owners of the property replaced what was a barn on the property near the Ipswich River to a boathouse/guesthouse. Its architectural style is completely different than Pahonu’s Spanish Colonial Revival, being based on New England colonial traditions. However, its form and function are very similar. It has living space above what is a partially below grade storage space opening via a large garage-like door to the water. Pahonu also had a partially below grade storage space opening to the tide pool via a large pair of doors, with the lanai and other living space above. Today that access is gone with the modified sea walls.

The owners in Ipswich plan on storing a small boat, kayaks, and other water related equipment there, much as Pahonu’s boathouse was once used. Below is a link to a photo of the new boathouse/guesthouse I described above. In the lower left is the opening to the river, and above is the living space. To the right can be seen the higher grade of the yard with a few steps up to the living space.

https://ibb.co/fNVj9pc

JosipCro
Captain

#2995 Post by JosipCro »

Hi everyone!

Something from me too, by some luck I managed to get in touch with a person who was on the set of some series, and who appears in some episodes :) Now if that person would be willing to come here to the forum and share their experiences, that should ask

Hawaiianeye
Ensign

#2996 Post by Hawaiianeye »

I was on one episode that filmed on the estate but was not allowed to go into the house. Everything at the estate that showed the interiors were in studio. There were 2 of us a Security guards but they only used one of us in the scene. So when they shot the interior I was posted at the door entrance.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#2997 Post by Aloha Friday »

Very cool Hawaiian Eye...do you recall which episode you were in?
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Hawaiianeye
Ensign

#2998 Post by Hawaiianeye »

I was in Forty, Kapu, Little games, Death and taxes, and a few others. My former high school counselor was Tom’s stand in and some time stunt double. He started as Jack Lord’s stunt double. Then he started the Hawaii Stunt group and brought me in as a member.

Hawaiianeye
Ensign

#2999 Post by Hawaiianeye »

I saw a website that can customize the Gaugin in Magnums guest house and tried it with ok results. I can’t find that website anymore. Would someone happen to know which site address?

JosipCro
Captain

#3000 Post by JosipCro »

Hawaiianeye wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:55 pm I saw a website that can customize the Gaugin in Magnums guest house and tried it with ok results. I can’t find that website anymore. Would someone happen to know which site address?
I'm not sure if I'm right, I came across a site a long time ago, whether it was that one or not, I really can't say.