The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1411 Post by erock308 »

Thanks for the update 360kid, can't wait to see the pics and video! I was there 10 years ago and notice it was getting pretty run down and overgrown then. Hope the new owners fix'er up right! :magnum:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Diandra
Captain

#1412 Post by Diandra »

360kid wrote:hey all,

made it out to the estate last week for maybe 3 hours and was a fun time, weather was great, slight chop on the water side that settled down nicely into the turtle pond. I had never been there before so took my time, at one point had the entire place to myself for over an hour and even then was more locals passing thru for a swim when there was company, etc. Not one person even glanced at the property other than to toss their gear on the wall. Made me laugh having read this entire thread, maybe 2 or 3 hours reading it and chasing all the links, people on this board from all parts of the globe that would love to just get there to see it and the locals either have not a clue or could not careless about the history. Was all ages of 'passerbys' as well, not kids that would/may have no idea based on timelines.

That said I am in Cali now and will be for a while, have not had a chance to download any of the pics/vids from any device yet, this trip seems to have morphed into a month long extravaganza. Love to say I am retired but still a (partially) young buck half way to being to travel at whim. Bring it on.

Regardless I'll post more when time permits, the place is run down, I didn't do anything illegal so nothing earth shattering to report. The brush whacked away from the guest house gave a clear view from the shriners side behind the guest house and could clearly see, and have pics, of those tacky looking white carports as was surmised in earlier pages. It is a one car it looks. Sorry if anything is a repeat as have not had time to read all pages between my earlier post,I think page 123ish and now.

There was service vehicles there the entire time I was there, took shots of them as well, had clear view of them from the water side at the main gate/ocean side. Did not hear any work being done but lotsa conversation. Was just slightly outta earshot for detail on words, had I known I would have brought a sound amplifier to hear the exact words being said, as there was lots. As if the planning stages for something. Planning to level it, install cameras, or bring it back to glory would have been interesting to know. I was literally standing on the wall with my ear to the fence jockeying for position to make out the words. Covering one ear to the water side, as ambient wave noise making it even trickier. What a sight that musta been, no wonder Eva thinks Magnum fans are kooks, she is right. Only more comical sight would be me doing the same with a parabolic dish pointed at the conversation and headphones on.

Swam for over two hours in the pool, brought a mask and snorkel and few schools of fish and some live coral at the opening in the middle of the "turtle" wall made for some decent fish views. Pretty good pull dragging you right out the opening the day I was there. I am a decent swimmer so let it pull me out and then fought back quick to get back in and over, might have caught some by surprise. Did me actually. Took the obligatory water box pic and as a bonus of me right in the water box pic. Took some underwater vid of the base of the box and swished some sand away to see how deep that thing goes and it is solid, no end in sight with hand digging that can be verified.

All in all great trip, I will go again if going there is an option next time out that way, sat in the same spot as the opening when Magnum was killing some beers all jacked up, Mac's Back maybe? Neat experience for a fan to say the least and recommend anyone interested get out there and spend some time there with the future unknown on the property, continued water access or not it wouldn't be the same if the buildings were leveled I think we all agree on that!

While there the Island Hoppers painted chopper did a flyby which I thought added to the thing, camera was not around at the time, too bad. Pilot stayed well into the water however, I expected a closer flyby. Perhaps not fans or pilot following local aviation distances.

Dead tired, did not go over this post for grammar/context/continuity/spelling, so sorry if riddled with errors, I have an IQ over double digits, I promise. I think.....

Speaking of the episode Mac's Back, I tried to sit in the same spot as Tom did, but I had to get up on the wall at the corner by the gate where it was somewhat lower, and then slide along . Is there still a big drop between the top of the wall and the sand? I look forward to seeing your photos!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1413 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome 360kid.

What an experience you describe! Very glad to have had somebody get to do this now, while things are kind of in "Limbo" before maybe there isn't quite as easy access.

None of us know, at this point, how things will end up being. The alternatives have pretty much been covered, but nobody except who makes the plan, knows what's in store for Pahonu.

Would've been great if you'd been able to get a shot of the helo going over, but what you describe of what you did get, sounds very satisfying and interesting.

You describe going down toward the base of the slab, does it have any other openings/holes below what show on the surface, or is it solid?

Just wanted to extend a welcome, and let you know that there's more than a couple who are very anxious to see the record of your adventure.

Mahalo and Aloha :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1414 Post by KENJI »

Many thanks 360kid for the news on Pahonu!

I wonder what the service crews are working on first.....lots to do. That sure would be a fun project to work on!! I envy those guys no matter what job they are doing on the estate......even if it was working on the cesspool! :shock:
Bringing anything up to code on a mansion from the 1930's will take some planning and serious $$$$$. I'm sure they will take their time and do it right.

Looking forward to your pics from the Shriner's side.
It will be interesting to see the white garage you are talking about which was discussed here....
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... &start=990

AdamSkating
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1415 Post by AdamSkating »

360 kid, that was great. We love your updates, keep this up. Would love to visit beach area and stay for hours one day. Very nice.

Higgins quote: Which episode did Higgins say "I don't care about Lola Stenhouser !!!, all i care about is robin master 35mm camera!!!" . Keep going around in my head all day today. Can not remember which episode that was.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#1416 Post by Macho Taco »

"Squeeze Play"

AdamSkating
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1417 Post by AdamSkating »

Macho Taco wrote:"Squeeze Play"
Yes; That is it! Thanks Macho Taco!

WhiteKnight
Ensign

#1418 Post by WhiteKnight »

Just curious if anyone ever came across the real floor plans for the Anderson Estate/Pahonu?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1419 Post by KENJI »

WhiteKnight wrote:Just curious if anyone ever came across the real floor plans for the Anderson Estate/Pahonu?
Hi WhiteKnight,
Nothing so far, BUT if you go to Pahonu's 3D model you'll get the next best thing. You can find it under Robin's Nest on the MM home page.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1420 Post by 308GUY »

Anybody heard anything about what's going on (if anything) at the estate lately?

Last we knew, some of the overgrowth had been cleared away, and there seemed to be crews moving in or at least at the ready, but haven't heard/seen anything further since then.

Anybody on site happen to drive by recently, or fly over, or paddle by?

"Curiosity killed the cat"..........but I ain't no cat! :magnum:

robinmaster74
Ensign

#1421 Post by robinmaster74 »

Hi guys, I'm an italian longtime fan of Magnum P.I., and I strongly hope mr. Nesbitt, or Obama, or whoever is the new owner of the legendary Robin Master's (Anderson) estate in Hawaii, will not change it too much. Repair something in the house, or better treat the park, yes, but not revolutionize the estate to the point we cannot recognize the details we loved in the series. Maybe the best solution would be the Universal Pictures, or someone in Hollywood, had bought the property before mr. Nesbitt or anyone else, to preserve it as an historical site, in order to keep alive the memory of a series of worship. Certainly, there's no shortage of other examples in the history of film and television. Maybe, as fans of Magnum P.I, we should have - or we could still - organize a petition in this regard, or directly write to the current owner trying to influence or sensitize him. Fantasizing, I would have hoped to buy the estate had been Tom Selleck or John Hillerman, but, of course, this is just a dream, although potentially it was not so impossible.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1422 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome robinmaster74!

Most of the points you make have been discussed, so you are not alone in your thinking.

Fact is, we will all just have to wait to see what develops at the estate.

I doubt anything we or anybody else would/could do would have much influence on Mr. Nesbitt, or whoever ends up there as far as altering the already made plans for the place.

I've looked, and haven't come up with any updates to speak of.

It will be "interesting", if nothing else! :higgins:

robinmaster74
Ensign

#1423 Post by robinmaster74 »

Hi 308, and thanks for welcome! I agree with you about the estate.
Let we see what happens. Anyway, tt would be interesting to know what think Tom Selleck and the other old members of cast about all this, and if any of them have never thought about making the investment

rcurreyjr
Ensign

#1424 Post by rcurreyjr »

Read here a lot but have never posted. Got a chance to visit a week ago and took a few pictures. Not really anything new but I thought I would share.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rgy3svfp480j ... ESZUa?dl=0

Rich Currey

Diandra
Captain

#1425 Post by Diandra »

rcurreyjr wrote:Read here a lot but have never posted. Got a chance to visit a week ago and took a few pictures. Not really anything new but I thought I would share.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rgy3svfp480j ... ESZUa?dl=0

Rich Currey

I really love those photos!!! Looks like you had a beautiful day. When we were there
it was partly cloudy so the water didn't look as blue. It's great that you got to Robin's
Nest before any changes happen!