The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#976 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
OK JJ, I don't know if you meant to do this or were just highlighting some rarely seen areas, but the middle two pictures show precisely the areas I have uncertainty about, and need help with.

Picture 2 The side of the gatehouse with the garage attached is speculative. I am only certain of a couple of second floor windows in the ell and the ones in the garage. The rest of the rear of the structure is a mystery.

Picture 3 The small porch at the rear of the kitchen wing, next to the garages, is also uncertain, as is the area to the right of it with two balconies and two doors beneath them. I know the left balcony is there, but the rest is not known. Also the adjacent lower wall with no openings is a question. (JJ, the lanai Kenji mentioned is just above this wall.)

THE CALL GOES OUT: ANY SLEUTHS OUT THERE, PHOTOS FROM THESE ANGLES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Sorry for shouting. :wink:
Hi Pahonu,

Did you see tonight's 60 Minutes?...we need a drone! ;) Isn't Lily over there now? I wonder if Oahu has a "Rent-A-Drone"?
Hey RG,

So you've got the drone angle covered. I'm counting on you! ;)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#977 Post by KENJI »

Hi Pahonu,

The next time you watch The Eighth Part of the Village look at the scene when T.M. and Higgins enter the garage area with the reel mower. You will notice some metal pieces (assuming that is what they are) on each post to the entrance of the first bay. They almost look like they could be old hinge posts for a possible set of doors. What do you think they might be?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#978 Post by Sam »

Hi Kenji,

The photos are on page 44 in this thread.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#979 Post by KENJI »

Thanks Sam!
Would a Spanish Colonial have a hinged garage door back then? What do you think Pahonu?
Maybe the garage had a different purpose when it was originally built. We know early on that Eve's grandparents had to take a boat to get there so access there by car was either not possible or very long and dangerous compared to a pleasant boat ride.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#980 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Thanks RG for the photos.

I didn't see it mentioned recently and I believe it was at one time.Eve doubled for Higgins in the episode when Higgins climbed a palm tree.
Hi Sam,

Thanks, I found it, and it does look like her! She's actually tossing coconuts down to Higgins. ("The Time That Lies", 8.6) Her onscreen time is just a few seconds and her face is mostly hidden, but I think it's her!

Thanks again, Sam!
~RG

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#981 Post by Sam »

Hi RG,

I think you've found another appearance by Eve.The one I'm thinking of,Eve doubles for Higgy in the episode.We see Higgy turn and shinny up the tree like a Ring tailed Lemur but it was Eve who was actually climbing the tree.I don't have a clue to the episode.

Nice work

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#982 Post by KENJI »

Neat to know that Eve did some stunt work for J.H.. :wink:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#983 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:Neat to know that Eve did some stunt work for J.H.. :wink:
Impossible today with liability and union rules!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#984 Post by Steve »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:Thanks RG for the photos.

I didn't see it mentioned recently and I believe it was at one time.Eve doubled for Higgins in the episode when Higgins climbed a palm tree.
Hi Sam,

Thanks, I found it, and it does look like her! She's actually tossing coconuts down to Higgins. ("The Time That Lies", 8.6) Her onscreen time is just a few seconds and her face is mostly hidden, but I think it's her!

Thanks again, Sam!
~RG
Funny, whenever I watched that episode I always wondered if that might be Ms. Anderson. I know Hillerman has a pear shape to his body but the different shots looking up towards the tree always looked more female to me........... Somebody had posted (it might have been Golf) that on their trip to the Estate they had seen her up in one of the trees.....

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#985 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Thanks Sam!
Would a Spanish Colonial have a hinged garage door back then? What do you think Pahonu?
Maybe the garage had a different purpose when it was originally built. We know early on that Eve's grandparents had to take a boat to get there so access there by car was either not possible or very long and dangerous compared to a pleasant boat ride.
Hey Kenji,

Hinged garage doors were still quite common in the 20's and 30's. Early garages were often carriage houses converted for the new technology of the automobile. The problem in the photo is that hinged doors on those columns wouldn't work. The molding at the capital and base would keep any door hinged at the location shown from closing fully. I don't what those "hinges" are but I don't think they were original to the design of the garage based on the columns. For so many years people on the forum have referred to the structure as a maintainance wing or something similar, but I think, given its size and location, it was clearly designed for cars. More of a carport than a fully enclosed garage, though.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#986 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi Pahonu,

Sorry if this has been discussed...I couldn't find it through search and I don't see it on your Sketchup. What's this little structure?

Thanks!

~RG

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#987 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Pahonu,

Sorry if this has been discussed...I couldn't find it through search and I don't see it on your Sketchup. What's this little structure?

Thanks!

~RG
Hi RG,

It's basically a storage shed next to the tennis court. There is a picture of it in here, but I'm not sure of the page.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#988 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Pahonu,

Thanks!

~RG
Hi RG,

It's basically a storage shed next to the tennis court. There is a picture of it in here, but I'm not sure of the page.
Thank you, Kenji! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#989 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:Thanks Sam!
Hey Kenji,

Hinged garage doors were still quite common in the 20's and 30's. Early garages were often carriage houses converted for the new technology of the automobile. The problem in the photo is that hinged doors on those columns wouldn't work. The molding at the capital and base would keep any door hinged at the location shown from closing fully. I don't what those "hinges" are but I don't think they were original to the design of the garage based on the columns. For so many years people on the forum have referred to the structure as a maintainance wing or something similar, but I think, given its size and location, it was clearly designed for cars. More of a carport than a fully enclosed garage, though.
Being new on the forum you may already know this, but Tom Selleck's Westlake Village ranch house is a Spanish Colonial which was also built in the 30's (formerly owned by Dean Martin.) I guess he liked Pahonu so much he bought a house like it! :D

Here's Tom's front entrance...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#990 Post by KENJI »

Nice pic RG!
I've never seen this before - thanks!