The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eeyore
Admiral

#76 Post by eeyore »

Golf, I wish we had some updated aerials of the estate like the ones posted on PBase. I am dying to see what the side facing the road of the actual building representing the guest house looks like. I have even dreamed about it. You would not believe the resources I have tried to find out this one simple little piece of info. LOL Seems everytime I see a post somewhere it is "old" and the person posting just happened upon whatever website it was, for one time and never returned to find my question. What I wouldn't give to find an X crew or cast with some candid photos from around the estate. ESPECIALLY that boathouse and its interior. The shots of the lower floor in the Don Luis espisode are not quite helpful enough to me. I want the upstairs! and I'd like to know why they built such a nice front porch with such a wonderful view and put no windows on that side, only a door. It must have been truely a working/utility building. I have even tried to research the turtle "industry" to see if there were typical outbuildings built with a certain layout to accomodate whatever one does in the turtle business! LOL I can only guess maybe the porch served as a lookout of sorts to sight returning boats or schools of turtles? The estate was built in the 1930's and must have an interesting history. I would hope it gets documented someday but Mrs Anderson seems so reclusive, I doubt it will happen.
Rambling here I know but I checked out a library book that had lots of pictutes of old Hawaiian homes, hoping by some fluk the Estate might be in it. There were some beautiful homes (none in the same architectural style, they were older) Sadly the majority had been demolished. Hawaii's architectural history has been destroyed for the most part it seems. There is very little written about it. Yes, I even tried to communicate with a professor at the University of Hawaii architecture school and the local American Institute of Architects. NO ONE is talking. :(

grundle
Admiral

#77 Post by grundle »

Sam wrote: From season 5..You Don't Have to Kill to get Rich,But it Helps..In this episode the grounds,tidal pool and house were used..William Shatner and Al Harrington can be seen climbing up a trellis to the second floor small balcony on the ocean side,to a bedroom.I don't believe the bedroom scene was at the estate.

RTN just played this.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#78 Post by rubber chicken »

It's a coincidence that this post is coming soon after yours eeyore, talking of turtles. But it looks like it wasn't an industry at all...

(I didn't happen to find any mention of these specifics in the forum. James, I know you mention Pahunu in the On Face Value (4.19) notes and also on the Robin's Nest page but neither place mentions all the following details. Hope I'm not rehashing things.)

I just happened to find out the following information today while looking at historic Hawaiian sites. We all know that the enclosure next to "Robin's Nest" was used for keeping turtles, but I found out that the structure is actually very old (referred to as ancient) and was made to keep turtles on hand for the local Hawaiian chief, so he could have turtle meat whenever he pleased. The chief had all turtles in the vicinity picked up and kept in the pond. They were kapu (forbidden) to anyone but himself (or possibly those he chose to share with.)

The turtle enclosure is known as the Pahonu Turtle Pond (Pahonu is sea turtle in Hawaiian), and was added to the Hawaii Historical Register on 9-2-1978. It was restored in the 1960s. Before Magnum P.I., "Robin's Nest" or the Anderson Estate was known as Pahonu.

The following are passages I found referring to the Pahonu Turtle Pond...

Hiking Makapu'u to Kaluanui Ridge
From the pu'u top, the ridge dipped slightly to a plateau where we passed an abandoned set of buildings, supposedly owned by the Kamehameha Schools and also supposedly used as a safe house by the Honolulu Police at one time. Beyond the buildings at the ridge's edge were platforms used by hang glider and mountain climbing enthusiasts. The plateau was also the junction where the ridge we were on merged with Kamehame Ridge. Sitting atop Kamehame ridge is a one-lane road that leads to wider Kamehame Drive which then bottoms out at Hawaii Kai Drive. I recognized the one-lane road and the abandoned buildings as sites for scenes from several "Hawaii Five-0" and "Magnum P.I." episodes. Bill also pointed out almost directly below our vantage point the beachfront home that served as the Robin Masters estate on "Magnum P.I." Fronting the home was the Pahonu (lit. "turtle enclosure") pond, a 500' by 50' rock structure built long ago for a Hawaiian chief who ordered every turtle caught along the Waimanalo offshore waters kept within its walls so he could sup on the delicious meat when he desired.

Hawaii Ecosystems middle school website
Pahonu is the name of the ancient Hawaiian turtle pond located in Waimanlo.It is a 500 ft. long and 50 ft. wide enclosure of submerged stone wall.The purpose of the pond was to house any captured turtles for an ali`i that favored turtles. Turtles were kapu, or could not be eaten by anyone, except for the cheif himself. This structure still stands and was restored in the 1960's.

ITS Nohona Hawai‘i Activity
Pahonu Pond - Turtle pond stocked by local fisherman to supply turtle meatfor the ali‘i of the district. Turtle meat was forbidden to all but the chiefs under penalty of death.

GCTTS News
1980's TV Show Magnum P.I. and Sea Turtles?

Sounds like an unlikely combination doesn't it? But they are related. If
you remember the popular 1980's show Magnum P.I. starring Tom Selleck,
then you remember it was filmed in Hawaii. Mr. Selleck's character,
Thomas Magnum, lived on an estate called Robin's Nest. A Mrs. Eve
Anderson actually owns the estate and before the show was filmed there,
the estate was nicknamed "Pahonu" which means "sea turtle" in Hawaiian.
The tidal pool along the beach front property was used for raising sea
turtles. You must also remember the famous iron gate at the entrance to
the estate that Magnum drove Robin Masters red Ferrari through many
times. The original gate was replaced during the filming of the show but
supposedly it has since been reinstalled. This original gate has a sea
turtle icon on it. To see this clever sea turtle gate, please click on
this link:

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/10751686

Sea Turtles of Hawai'i (book) with picture of the pond captioned "A hang glider's view of Pahonu turtle pond in Waimanalo where live honu were once held to be eaten by chiefs."
In old Hawai'i honu were captured in several ways. On nesting and basking beaches, they were turned over on their backs and rendered helpless. The eggs were also collected for food. In the water honu were captured by hand, speared, hooked, or taken in nets made of plant fibers.

List of the state of Hawaii Register of Historic Places

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#79 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, rc, nice bit of research there! Good to know. :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#80 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow rubber chicken, that is very, very interesting!! Fantastic research there! I had no idea the tidal pool/turtle pond was so old! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#81 Post by J.J. Walters »

eeyore wrote:ESPECIALLY that boathouse and its interior. The shots of the lower floor in the Don Luis espisode are not quite helpful enough to me. I want the upstairs! and I'd like to know why they built such a nice front porch with such a wonderful view and put no windows on that side, only a door. It must have been truely a working/utility building.
eeyore, there is a shot in "No Need to Know" where you can briefly see inside the door of the guesthouse porch (or lanai). You can see a cinder block wall and what looks like a railing of some sort.

The wall appears to be pretty close to the door, so it must just be a stairwell that leads back down to the ground level floor (similar to the guesthouse set in the show, heh!). This would explain why there are no windows at this spot. The closeup of Magnum opening the door is not a set, because the scene is one continuous shot of Magnum (and Mandy) - walking up the outdoor stairs, entering the porch, then immediately opening the door.

This is the only time that I can recall where we actually get see inside the boathouse porch door. They were usually very careful to cut away to the guesthouse set before the door opens enough to see inside.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#82 Post by rubber chicken »

eeyore wrote: I am dying to see what the side facing the road of the actual building representing the guest house looks like. I have even dreamed about it. You would not believe the resources I have tried to find out this one simple little piece of info.
To add to James' post, I have a few pictures from the Hawaii Five-0 episode Sweet Terror (2.7) that show the side of the "guesthouse" facing the road. They're from a distance though, but still pretty good. Below are two of the best shots and one from around the corner. You can download a number of other shots of the guesthouse from the episode in this zip file.

As for why they made a nice porch, I've always thought it was probably just a nice touch to the building, and the estate. Somewhere to be away from the main house, close to the water, and have a bit more privacy. And seeing as how it's a boathouse, people could have drinks and snacks there etc. after coming back from a trip on the water. Or people could wait there for others to return. Just another nice touch to the property in my mind.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad buck Gibson
Ensign

#83 Post by Mad buck Gibson »

Thanks guys, your new pictures are awsome every time a see new angle from the estate i understand better how it realy is and i thank you for it
regards

Mad buck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#84 Post by J.J. Walters »

Interesting, that building on the adjacent property, just behind the boathouse, is clearly visible. During the Magnum days there was so much foliage around the property line, you couldn't really see it.

Speaking of the property next to the estate (north end), does anybody have any information about it? It has some very interesting structures on it, with a really nice, lush lawn. The layout of the structures is also highly unusual. I know that during the MPI filming days, the crew used it as a "staging area" for various production equipment and vehicles.

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/7678649
http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/7678646
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Sam »

Hi James,

The building shown in "Sweet Terror" does not exist now.The property is "The Shriners Beach Club"

I have some pics that I will send to your email.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Sam »

James,

http://www.mxpentertainment.com/djenter ... allery.htm

3-20-04...Pan Wedding......Was used in Italian Ice

9-13-03 Evans Wedding.....Shriners Beach Club

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Steve »

Very cool.........If my wife ever asks for me to renew our wedding vows, it's going to be at that Shriners Club. Looks like you can almost hop the wall and get on the porch of the boat house..........

Steve
Chicago

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Sam »

Hi Steve

On one of the other Magnum forums,some guy was at the Shriners Club and spoke with the caretaker of SC.. and that is just what he claims...Hopped on the fence and on to the deck of the guest house.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#89 Post by J.J. Walters »

VERY interesting! Thanks Sam!

I couldn't find any history on the club for the Waimanalo location. Do you happen to know when it started? Was it the Shriners Club during the 80s? If not, what was it? A private resisence?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Sam »

Let me check James....I think you know that the interior of the club was used for "Foiled Again"..Where Higgins zaps the guy.