The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MikeS
Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2941 Post by MikeS »

CRUMPZILLA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:08 am HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES ON THIS THREAD? SUPER LOST LOL
Hi Crump, welcome.

You will need to use an image hosting site, upload your pics to the site, and then insert the link using BBCode inside your post.

If you right-click any image above you will see they are hosted at imgur - https://i.imgur.com/BRO3Wvv.jpg

Use the Insert Image button within the editor and put the link between the tags:

Code: Select all

[img] link-to-image [/img]

Hit Preview in the editor to see how your post looks... Submit when happy with the results :)
MikeS

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2942 Post by robicurp »

Hi All,
I found another Drone video of the Pahonu estate with the construction almost completed. It shows a good overview of the entire estate grounds.
I'm happy they preserved Magnum's :Guest House" at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77FlYMeld0

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2943 Post by eagle »

robicurp wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:46 pm Hi All,
I found another Drone video of the Pahonu estate with the construction almost completed. It shows a good overview of the entire estate grounds.

Wow, it's so crowded now. So sad.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2944 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks!

The stone walls of the tidal pool seem more substantial than in the past, and the beach looks wider than photos from just a few years ago.

Pahonu

#2945 Post by Pahonu »

[quote=eagle post_id=74703 time=1665859813 user_id=917]
[quote=robicurp post_id=74702 time=1665859580 user_id=2208]
Hi All,

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77FlYMeld0[/url]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It’s still less crowded than the houses on the narrow properties to the east. I would wager that the Shriner’s Club to the west will be sold in the near future. Increasing population and a fixed amount of coastline mean subdivision and higher density is inevitable. My wife and I have discussed numerous times that when we were kids in the 70’s there were many “beach shacks” along the Southern California coast and even many undeveloped properties on the sand. When we cruise down PCH now, they’re all gone and the only way to build on the coast today is a tear down of an existing structure. We see these type of gut rehabs all the time and that’s exactly what happened with Pahonu.

As much as I appreciated Pahonu, I think the only way to save such historic structures is to pass far more strict historic designation laws. Sadly, most people don’t agree and place private property rights far ahead of any argument for the public good. I take from your comments that you would support such protection? Eve Anderson could have sought historic designation before the sale but it would likely have lowered the selling price significantly, so she prioritized the profit. I understand that as a personal choice, which is why more strict laws would be necessary to save similar structures in the future. I personally don’t hold out much hope for such future protections, however.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#2946 Post by steveadl »

Nice find!

The beach is the biggest I've seen it in a while there. They've definitely replaced the concrete walls, though I'm not sure they're taller?

As far as protecting coastlines from denser construction, its an understandable sentiment in general, but its unfair to do it to those who own the property so I see both sides. It's one thing to say others should do it for someones else's land, but if it were your land/legacy/inheritance to pass on to your family or profit for your life's hard work, not so clear cut.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2947 Post by NotthatRick »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:10 pm
eagle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:50 pm

It’s still less crowded than the houses on the narrow properties to the east. I would wager that the Shriner’s Club to the west will be sold in the near future. Increasing population and a fixed amount of coastline mean subdivision and higher density is inevitable. My wife and I have discussed numerous times that when we were kids in the 70’s there were many “beach shacks” along the Southern California coast and even many undeveloped properties on the sand. When we cruise down PCH now, they’re all gone and the only way to build on the coast today is a tear down of an existing structure. We see these type of gut rehabs all the time and that’s exactly what happened with Pahonu.

As much as I appreciated Pahonu, I think the only way to save such historic structures is to pass far more strict historic designation laws. Sadly, most people don’t agree and place private property rights far ahead of any argument for the public good. I take from your comments that you would support such protection? Eve Anderson could have sought historic designation before the sale but it would likely have lowered the selling price significantly, so she prioritized the profit. I understand that as a personal choice, which is why more strict laws would be necessary to save similar structures in the future. I personally don’t hold out much hope for such future protections, however.
Very good post, Pahonu. Absolutely agree.

Pahonu

#2948 Post by Pahonu »

steveadl wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 am

Nice find!

The beach is the biggest I've seen it in a while there. They've definitely replaced the concrete walls, though I'm not sure they're taller?

As far as protecting coastlines from denser construction, its an understandable sentiment in general, but its unfair to do it to those who own the property so I see both sides. It's one thing to say others should do it for someones else's land, but if it were your land/legacy/inheritance to pass on to your family or profit for your life's hard work, not so clear cut.
The sea walls by the old main house are no higher, but the ones from the beach gate to the boathouse are higher. Those used to rise just a foot or so above the benches that were molded into them where TM often sat. There was a chain link fence above them. The high sea walls opposite had no fence except right by the gate. They were like 8-10 feet high and still are. The EIR for the sea wall reinforcement included drawings of all the proposed higher sea walls.

Pahonu

#2949 Post by Pahonu »

NotthatRick wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:49 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:10 pm
eagle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Very good post, Pahonu. Absolutely agree.
Thank you :magnum:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2950 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Nice find!

The sea walls by the old main house are no higher, but the ones from the beach gate to the boathouse are higher. Those used to rise just a foot or so above the benches that were molded into them where TM often sat. There was a chain link fence above them. The high sea walls opposite had no fence except right by the gate. They were like 8-10 feet high and still are. The EIR for the sea wall reinforcement included drawings of all the proposed higher sea walls.
The sea walls to the left of the rear gate actually do seem quite lower than they used to be. Check out how high the wall is in the pilot when TM is sneaking around it after his swim. Now look at the video and it looks really small. Like half its height or so. Like it might only come up to your waist. It used to be over Selleck's head. In fact it gets higher as you go out further left. But as you get closer to the gate it tapers down. I don't remember that before.

Pahonu

#2951 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Nice find!

The sea walls to the left of the rear gate actually do seem quite lower than they used to be. Check out how high the wall is in the pilot when TM is sneaking around it after his swim. Now look at the video and it looks really small. Like half its height or so. Like it might only come up to your waist. It used to be over Selleck's head. In fact it gets higher as you go out further left. But as you get closer to the gate it tapers down. I don't remember that before.
The sea wall at the location of the old main house is the highest on the property. It hasn’t been lowered, but has been reinforced according to the EIR drawings. Look at around 45 seconds on the video and you’ll see people by that area and it’s well over their heads. As the wall approaches the beach gate, it steps down in a series, which it always did. It’s at that point that the chain link fence was begun as the wall became low enough that if you stood on the concrete benches you could climb over it. It then continued at this low height to the boat house where it changed height again, with higher chain link fencing, and the large double gates and the path to the boathouse doors.

I’m ridiculously familiar with these details because I remember well recreating its complexity in my SketchUp model. What has happened, is that the lower walls have all been raised to the height of the stepped down level near the beach gate. I think it is around 6-7 feet, if I recall from the report. I posted a link to this report somewhere on this thread!?!?! The report itself is a couple of hundred pages! I’ll see if I can find the link. None of this even considers the complex nature of the plan view of the wall, just the heights of different parts. It also turns out that the wall section by the boathouse included at least a part that was not on the private property, but was public land. Mrs. Anderson also had to get a variance to allow that to remain.

It might help in understanding this complexity, to know that it is (was) actually three different walls. When several properties were purchased and combined to create the estate for Mrs. Wall, the tallest wall section at the main house already existed and it is the highest point in the property. The much lower wall by the boat house existed as well. The property is lower here, but still the boathouse was made partially below grade to ease access from the beach to the storage area on the lower level. Incidentally, there had also been a pier in this area, and not the same one as was once at the Shriners property.

In between these existing two walls was a swale for storm drainage from the old highway that was closer to the water, but there was no wall. The architect then essentially connected the two walls adding the beach gate that we are all so familiar with. That is the lowest point on the property where water used to drain, so an easement was required and an underground storm drain was created. It exits right by the beach gate as can be seen in many photos.

Sorry again that got long!!

Pahonu

#2952 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s the report, full of drawings, photos, and maps of Pahonu and the area. It’s actually almost 400 pages!

https://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/erp/Doc_ ... Repair.pdf

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2953 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:19 pm

Nice find!

The sea wall at the location of the old main house is the highest on the property. It hasn’t been lowered, but has been reinforced according to the EIR drawings. Look at around 45 seconds on the video and you’ll see people by that area and it’s well over their heads. As the wall approaches the beach gate, it steps down in a series, which it always did. It’s at that point that the chain link fence was begun as the wall became low enough that if you stood on the concrete benches you could climb over it. It then continued at this low height to the boat house where it changed height again, with higher chain link fencing, and the large double gates and the path to the boathouse doors.

I’m ridiculously familiar with these details because I remember well recreating its complexity in my SketchUp model. What has happened, is that the lower walls have all been raised to the height of the stepped down level near the beach gate. I think it is around 6-7 feet, if I recall from the report. I posted a link to this report somewhere on this thread!?!?! The report itself is a couple of hundred pages! I’ll see if I can find the link. None of this even considers the complex nature of the plan view of the wall, just the heights of different parts. It also turns out that the wall section by the boathouse included at least a part that was not on the private property, but was public land. Mrs. Anderson also had to get a variance to allow that to remain.

It might help in understanding this complexity, to know that it is (was) actually three different walls. When several properties were purchased and combined to create the estate for Mrs. Wall, the tallest wall section at the main house already existed and it is the highest point in the property. The much lower wall by the boat house existed as well. The property is lower here, but still the boathouse was made partially below grade to ease access from the beach to the storage area on the lower level. Incidentally, there had also been a pier in this area, and not the same one as was once at the Shriners property.

In between these existing two walls was a swale for storm drainage from the old highway that was closer to the water, but there was no wall. The architect then essentially connected the two walls adding the beach gate that we are all so familiar with. That is the lowest point on the property where water used to drain, so an easement was required and an underground storm drain was created. It exits right by the beach gate as can be seen in many photos.

Yes, I see a guy walking around the 45 second mark. But that's on the far left of the wall where it's at its highest. By the rocks that encircle the tidal pool. But if you look at where the wall turns at a 90 degree angle towards the beach gate that part of the wall looks very low. Definitely not 6 or 7 feet. Looks like about 4 feet. That's the corner of the wall that TM was hiding behind in the pilot, when he reminisces about his shoulder wound.

Pahonu

#2954 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:03 am
Pahonu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:19 pm

Nice find!

Yes, I see a guy walking around the 45 second mark. But that's on the far left of the wall where it's at its highest. By the rocks that encircle the tidal pool. But if you look at where the wall turns at a 90 degree angle towards the beach gate that part of the wall looks very low. Definitely not 6 or 7 feet. Looks like about 4 feet. That's the corner of the wall that TM was hiding behind in the pilot, when he reminisces about his shoulder wound.
I just rewatched the opening scene on Amazon Prime. Yes, the wall steps down several times as it gets closer to the gate. It had chain link fence at that section, but was also heavily covered in foliage at that corner. TM is hidden as he runs along the tallest part of the wall, then he turns the corner toward the gate. The beach slopes up and the wall steps down. Right at the gate it’s just a chain link fence about 6 feet tall. When he sits on the ledge you can see all the foliage behind him and a little of the chain link fence. That’s what’s concealing him from Higgins on the balcony. He’s not hidden by the wall. There’s even foliage shielding him as he picks the gate lock.

Here are two images from my model that detail the sea wall a little more clearly as there is no foliage:

https://ibb.co/1fjNJhn
https://ibb.co/6BQkXyQ

Pahonu

#2955 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s a shot of that area by the beach gate that I described as having a lot of foliage after recording Woe to Wo Fat earlier today. What a coincidence! This would have been filmed just months before the MPI pilot.

https://ibb.co/gFJ7W8B

Edit:
It also shows a pergola-type structure on the sea wall side of the main house that has been discussed on this thread before, but I’m guessing over a decade ago!