The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

matty007
Ensign

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2626 Post by matty007 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
matty007 wrote:We were in Oahu this past week, so we drove out to the Robin's Nest after doing the Koko Head hike....my boys had never been to Honolulu so seeing the War Memorial, Elks Club, TC's Chopper site, etc was very cool for them. When we drove to Robin's Nest we were in shock to see it completely gone! :( I knew it was gone, but to actually see the empty lot was Heart-Breaking to say the least. We did try to go see the tidal pool, but the waves were very rough (Kona Winds) and the tide was high! Nonetheless, glad my 19 & 17 YO's could finally see what the old man has been showing them their entire lives.
Good for you for bringing along the next generation. Glad they’re actually interested.
They actually really like the Show. My 17 yo was watching episodes yesterday on Amazon Prime, looking for locations they saw earlier this week.

AdamSkating
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2627 Post by AdamSkating »

matty007" , yes, its sad when i google earth the location and see a large scare. I really think the owner just wanted to see it torn down to piss us all off. And to not even be working on it to make a new home.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2628 Post by NotthatRick »

AdamSkating wrote:matty007" , yes, its sad when i google earth the location and see a large scare. I really think the owner just wanted to see it torn down to piss us all off. And to not even be working on it to make a new home.
He certainly succeeded in pissing me off.

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2629 Post by Capa150 »

I created a Minecraft version of the estate. It took me about 16 hours or so (I didn't time it.) It was a fun experience.

Video of it here: https://youtu.be/P6Tq5_vnDAs

Downloadable Minecraft 1.15.2 (Java version) zip file (27 megs): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yrO52z ... sp=sharing

To use the files, unzip them, then follow the instructions here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/art ... es-stored-

I used the Gimp photo editor to plan the design, using these two Gimp format *.xcf files, downloadable from here, if interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TyYMEY ... sp=sharing

The XCF files have layers; the first layer is for the ground floor, and the second for the second floor. You can click the visibility of the layers on and off.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2630 Post by Pahonu »

Capa150 wrote:Image

I created a Minecraft version of the estate. It took me about 16 hours or so (I didn't time it.) It was a fun experience.

Video of it here: https://youtu.be/P6Tq5_vnDAs

Downloadable Minecraft 1.15.2 (Java version) zip file (27 megs): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yrO52z ... sp=sharing

To use the files, unzip them, then follow the instructions here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/art ... es-stored-

I used the Gimp photo editor to plan the design, using these two Gimp format *.xcf files, downloadable from here, if interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TyYMEY ... sp=sharing

The XCF files have layers; the first layer is for the ground floor, and the second for the second floor. You can click the visibility of the layers on and off.

Hey Capa,

Fun to watch your tour. I created the plans you used for your model from episodes of MPI, Hawaii Five-O, and Vega$, as well as newspaper articles from the 30’s provided by Rembrandt’s Girl. If you look on the Magnum Mania homepage you can find a link to my SketchUp model of the estate and updated floor plans. It does include a basement. Once you learn the program, you can tour around the whole estate grounds in a similar way.

To answer a question you asked in your video, a trunk room is for storing guests luggage after it was unpacked. The home was built for a widowed socialite woman and was largely used for entertaining guests. She employed a large staff and guests might stay for longer periods. All five bedrooms had dressing rooms with closets and en suite baths. Two had there own private sitting rooms. All directly accessed terraces or balconies. It had the tidal pool, a tennis court, a bar, the boat house for water activities, a bath house for beach activities. It was truly a home for entertainment and recreation.

A sewing room in homes of that era were used by female staff to repair linens for the home and their uniforms, as well as socializing on breaks. All servants were to remain behind the scenes, therefore using the sewing room, the servant’s dining room, the service staircase, the butler’s pantry, etc... That whole wing of the house is service spaces if you look carefully, including the garage wing with laundry and workshop.

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2631 Post by Capa150 »

Thanks for the information.

I really like the 2D top-down map ... it clearly visualizes how the structure goes together.

I tried the Sketchup version ... the detail is much higher, and the scale looks more realistic.

Chris.

Pahonu

#2632 Post by Pahonu »

Capa150 wrote:Thanks for the information.

I really like the 2D top-down map ... it clearly visualizes how the structure goes together.

I tried the Sketchup version ... the detail is much higher, and the scale looks more realistic.

Chris.
No problem on the info.

Glad you got to see the model. The model has all the structures on the property. I only posted the floor plans of the main house. The property dimensions and structure placement are highly accurate because I used a historic land plat with original surveyor’s markings. It’s within inches of accuracy, honestly. The building exterior dimensions are also with inches of accuracy because of a new land plat done for the sale.

Rembrandt’s Girl also recently found a topographical map showing property elevations and contour lines that I’ve also used to adjust the model. The complexity of these land contours is really difficult to replicate in the model accurately but each structure is at the correct elevation on the property. The main house is at the high point of the property. The land dips down in the center and rises again on the side with the tennis court, gate house and boat house. The property also descends slightly from the highway to the beach, obviously, with the exception of the main house elevated high up by the tallest section of sea wall.

I should note, the interiors of the floor plans you used are the least accurate part of the model. No published floor plans have been found. Using exterior dimensions as a boundary, other rooms were filled in based on TV footage from other programs. MPI didn’t use the actual interiors. Many rooms have been seen, but some haven’t. The number, type, and placement of rooms is also known from historical newspaper articles about Pahonu’s construction, but exact dimensions and interior details of unseen spaces are not known for certain. The two first floor bedroom suites have never been seen but we know they both have attached dressing rooms with closets and bathrooms. The center of the three upstairs bedroom suites has also never been seen but has the same features. The other two have been seen and also uniquely have there own sitting rooms.

No bathrooms have been seen but we know how many and where they are located. Much of the service wing has never been seen but we know the number and types of rooms present. Logic dictates placement of certain service rooms relative to each other but only the kitchen proper has been seen. We know there is a butler’s pantry, servant dining room, service stairs, service half bathroom, service porch, laundry, pantry, and cold storage, and dumbwaiter, but not precise dimensions or location within the wing. The most accurate part of the main house is the one-story ell with the living room, library, and bar. Only the powder room located there hasn’t been seen.

The same uncertainties exist with the outbuildings.

Overall then, I’d estimate the floor plans are 75-80% accurate, perhaps more.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2633 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

More speculation that Obama will own at least one part of the subdivided property...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/05/0 ... -neighbor/

What doesn't make sense to me is why the secrecy? Other properties that the Obamas have purchased have been widely publicized. So why would this property be a big secret? :?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#2634 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi RG,
Thanks for posting. I wonder does Barak like to surf-ski, swim and jog. Maybe grow a mustache and do all these activities where we are so accustomed to seeing classic Magnum do his work outs. :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2635 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the update! When I read in there about fundraising for the “Hawaiian African Museum,” I couldn’t help thinking of all of Higgins’ “Anglo-Hawaiian” fundraisers!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2636 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:More speculation that Obama will own at least one part of the subdivided property...

What doesn't make sense to me is why the secrecy? Other properties that the Obamas have purchased have been widely publicized. So why would this property be a big secret? :?
Maybe because he doesn’t own it. Everything still sounds like rumors and wishful thinking.

If he does own it, or own part of it, I hope this doesn’t turn into an opportunity for some to vent their anger at a politician they don’t like for something that doesn’t affect their lives. In the end, the identity of the owner won’t make a difference or change anything.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#2637 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:More speculation that Obama will own at least one part of the subdivided property...

Maybe because he doesn’t own it. Everything still sounds like rumors and wishful thinking.

If he does own it, or own part of it, I hope this doesn’t turn into an opportunity for some to vent their anger at a politician they don’t like for something that doesn’t affect their lives. In the end, the identity of the owner won’t make a difference or change anything.
Well said.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2638 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2639 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:

Well then he should’ve bought the place :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2640 Post by NotthatRick »

Call me unreasonable, but anybody, and I mean anybody, be it Tom Selleck, The Pope, Obama or Marty Nesbitt that tore down Pahonu would be on my bad side. Especially if they did indeed tell Eve Anderson that they were going to leave the place intact. Just my opinion.