The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

JosipCro
Captain

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2596 Post by JosipCro »

robicurp wrote:
JosipCro wrote:
robicurp wrote:Welcome JosipCro!.
I'm also new to the MMForum. I'm saving for a trip to Oahu in August 2020. I'm definitely going to swim in the Turtle pond of Robin's Nest. It was terribly sad to see the house demolished. I was surprised at how strongly it affected me. The last time I visited Oahu was back in 1984. well before the internet or google maps. I drove all over the island searching for Robin's nest but never found it. I now know I drove right by it without even realizing.
I'm definitely taking the Island Hopper flight in the replica TC helicopter.
Still sad looking at the pictures of the estate as it is today. I guess 35 years of time passing takes its toll. Maybe the new owner, Mr. Nesbit, will build something appropriate in its place, though I don't know what that would be.
I'll have to watch a few episodes of MPI on DVD to cheer myself up again.

Hello!

Sorry about my absence for a while.

In my opinion, no building can restore old Robins Nest.

If you are going to visit this holy place, I would ask to take lots of photos for me, all that is left

I will definitely take lots of pictures and post them here.

Big THANKS :!:

christian
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2597 Post by christian »

hello mm´s,

i found some news. is this already known: »Three homes planned for Obama friends' oceanfront Hawaii estate« ?
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... front.html

if that has already been communicated, then sorry for my delay and my message can be deleted.

thanks
christian

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2598 Post by KENJI »

Hi Christian,

No apologies needed, news to me and I'm sure everyone here -thanks for posting it!

The nightmare just gets worse......first the main house was flattened and now split into 3 lots!!!
I believe Eve had a few developers interested who wanted to subdivide it, but she stayed clear of them hoping it would stay whole (house as well as land) and now the new owner is doing an about face and following in the developer's footsteps! I'm sure Eve could've done the same thing and made even more, but preferred selling to someone who might repair/preserve some or all of the estate. I have no idea what was promised/said to her by Marty Obama, but I'm sure it wasn't this result. Granted the new owner can do whatever they want after the fact, but one would hope their word meant something, it doesn't look that way. I could see if the house was riddled with dry rot/termites and the salt air had corroded a lot of the pipes, wiring and railings that the house might not be salvageable, but to then say well, the house had to come down so we might as well subdivide smells fishy...I bet that was the plan from day one.....they didn't care about the lost history, it was all business and I'm sure they will do very well on it as it makes perfect sense in the real estate world, but what a shame!!! I bet Eve is even more heartbroken with this news! Hawaii lost a real gem!!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2599 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:Hi Christian,

No apologies needed, news to me and I'm sure everyone here -thanks for posting it!

The nightmare just gets worse......first the main house was flattened and now split into 3 lots!!!
I believe Eve had a few developers interested who wanted to subdivide it, but she stayed clear of them hoping it would stay whole (house as well as land) and now the new owner is doing an about face and following in the developer's footsteps! I'm sure Eve could've done the same thing and made even more, but preferred selling to someone who might repair/preserve some or all of the estate. I have no idea what was promised/said to her by Marty Obama, but I'm sure it wasn't this result. Granted the new owner can do whatever they want after the fact, but one would hope their word meant something, it doesn't look that way. I could see if the house was riddled with dry rot/termites and the salt air had corroded a lot of the pipes, wiring and railings that the house might not be salvageable, but to then say well, the house had to come down so we might as well subdivide smells fishy...I bet that was the plan from day one.....they didn't care about the lost history, it was all business and I'm sure they will do very well on it as it makes perfect sense in the real estate world, but what a shame!!! I bet Eve is even more heartbroken with this news! Hawaii lost a real gem!!!
I agree, I am at the point where I am afraid to open this topic as the news just keeps getting worse. How this was never registered as a historic site is beyond me and if turns out to be some behind the scenes string pulling I hope it is made public.....

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2600 Post by Pahonu »

The house wasn’t registered as a historic landmark because Eve Anderson didn’t choose to do so. These types of designations are based on the owner’s decision. They typically receive tax benefits for doing so but are then limited in remodeling and renovation. It also affects property value if it can’t be subdivided. I imagine this played a significant role in her decision not to apply for historic status. You’re seeing the result. If it had been designated, this couldn’t have happened, but it wasn’t. I appreciate the architecture and historic nature of this home as much as anyone, but the value of the land is what drove this transaction. I said the same thing several years ago before the demolition. I’m a big supporter of stronger historic designation laws, but people then complain about losing individual property rights. You just can’t blame a buyer for making a smart economic decision based on the existing circumstances. The circumstances could be changed with different legislation, but that hasn’t happened yet.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2601 Post by K Hale »

Exactly. Historic landmark status means you lose control of what you are allowed to do with your own property, a concept that I would expect most forum members would take issue with in the abstract.

We all agree that the house becoming run down was a pity, the house being demolished was a pity, etc. Now that those things have happened, it seems not to make much difference if the property is one lot or three. It still won’t have the house on it that we all would like to see.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2602 Post by Steve »

Forgive me for this question but was The Estate registered in Eve Anderson's name or was it still in the Cox family trust? The property is going to become whatever it becomes now but I sure don't have as much desire to go to Oahu again just to see our Mecca.

Pahonu

#2603 Post by Pahonu »

Steve wrote:Forgive me for this question but was The Estate registered in Eve Anderson's name or was it still in the Cox family trust? The property is going to become whatever it becomes now but I sure don't have as much desire to go to Oahu again just to see our Mecca.
I believe it was still held in trust at the time of sale.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2604 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

christian wrote:hello mm´s,

i found some news. is this already known: »Three homes planned for Obama friends' oceanfront Hawaii estate« ?
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... front.html

if that has already been communicated, then sorry for my delay and my message can be deleted.

thanks
christian
This news looks to be more than 2 months old so I'm surprised that none of our Maniacs here picked up on this news earlier. It sure is sad what's happening though. I was kinda hoping that even if the main house isn't there that they might consider at least leaving the grounds the way they are. The grounds themselves offer us fans lots of history. But now if they subdivide it and build new houses I'm sure the grounds will soon become unrecognizable from what they were on the show. I suppose it was wishful thinking on my part that they wouldn't touch the grounds, but I suppose in the back of my mind I was hoping that they would just build a new building where the old one stood, even if it wasn't going to be a replica of the original. At least it would keep the rest of the grounds intact as is. I now wonder if the boat house and gate house and tennis courts are going away too. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I suppose all that will be left is the tidal pool. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kimbosan
Captain

#2605 Post by Kimbosan »

Hi Guys, looks like the property has been sub-divided into two lots see link;

https://cchnl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... 61892f32e8

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2606 Post by Steve »

Kimbosan wrote:Hi Guys, looks like the property has been sub-divided into two lots see link;

Kimbosan
Am reading that right, there will be a new "Guard Post", is that the gate house?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2607 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
Kimbosan wrote:Hi Guys, looks like the property has been sub-divided into two lots see link;

Kimbosan
Am reading that right, there will be a new "Guard Post", is that the gate house?
You sure are reading that correctly Steve........this build has Obama written all over it.......maybe the guard post is for when he visits Marty. :wink: It should be the gate house or at the very least the gate house location, as we don't know if the gate house is coming down, being renovated or even added too. It will be interesting if it stays and they keep that Spanish Colonial Revival style or will they strip the exterior and come up with a new look altogether....it depends on the style of the two homes being built (could it be Spanish Colonial Revival :shock:?...doubt it ). I mentioned earlier about the boat house and why it hasn't come down (yet), now I'm wondering if the gate house might be in a similar category/situation....i.e. really close to the highway and maybe today's setbacks wouldn't allow one to build in that same location. If they renovate it or at the very least use the stripped down shell/envelope of the structure they could possibly use the "grandfathered in" loophole. All guesses at this point. I'm sure right now it makes for a great site office, lunchroom, washroom etc. for the crew and that might be another reason why it's still standing. Time will tell!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2608 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu's Sketchup of the Eve Anderson Main House, both model and floorplan, have been added to the main page for easy access.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2609 Post by KENJI »

Many thanks Conch!!

Pahonu

#2610 Post by Pahonu »

Kimbosan
If you click on each property on the map and get further information with the small arrow, it links you to copies of the land plat, assessed value, permits, etc... The white box shows permits for both properties including 90k in demolition, 300k for retaining walls, 463k for a pool(s)!? and 3 new buildings between 1-1.6 million. All but the demo were permitted last October.

We know much of the general plan now, it seems.