The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2536 Post by TSMIV »

T.Q. wrote:Saw this online.

Thought it was cool.

Very cool indeed - it's great! Thanks for taking the time to share :lol:

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#2537 Post by Mr. Greene »

Where do I get one to frame ?

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#2538 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Mr. Greene wrote:Where do I get one to frame ?

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/rob ... =art-print

JosipCro
Captain

#2539 Post by JosipCro »

TSMIV wrote:
JosipCro wrote:Great regards to everyone!

My name is Josip, I come from Croatia. I am a longtime fan of Magnum series and I am very glad to join you in this great community!

Also, I have to point out very important! I'm really sad with the knowledge that struck Robin's Nest, and that's ruining.
I really could not believe this happened. Great wish was to visit Robins Nest, but now it's late :(

I would be very pleased if you could provide links to some of the Robins Nest photos?
Anything to do with it.
The pictures on the internet, of course, already have a collection of Magnum PI materials.
So if someone has something that has not been published yet, I'd be happy to share it with me.
You can also email me if this is a priority.

And my biggest wish is, one day to visit Hawaii :wink:

I wish everyone a pleasant day,

Greetings from Croatia
Welcome Josipcro!

Magnum Mania is an absolutely fantastic site and the 'magnum-maniacs' who inhabit it are very friendly and very helpful folk. :magnum: I hope that you derive as much enjoyment from it as I do

Cheers

I am very happy to be part of the Magnum Mania team 8)

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2540 Post by robicurp »

Welcome JosipCro!.
I'm also new to the MMForum. I'm saving for a trip to Oahu in August 2020. I'm definitely going to swim in the Turtle pond of Robin's Nest. It was terribly sad to see the house demolished. I was surprised at how strongly it affected me. The last time I visited Oahu was back in 1984. well before the internet or google maps. I drove all over the island searching for Robin's nest but never found it. I now know I drove right by it without even realizing.
I'm definitely taking the Island Hopper flight in the replica TC helicopter.
Still sad looking at the pictures of the estate as it is today. I guess 35 years of time passing takes its toll. Maybe the new owner, Mr. Nesbit, will build something appropriate in its place, though I don't know what that would be.
I'll have to watch a few episodes of MPI on DVD to cheer myself up again.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2541 Post by ConchRepublican »

robbie308 wrote:
K Hale wrote:And I made a few "then and now" comparison shots.
Thank you so much for sharing those recent pictures.

Even if the main house is no longer, the tidal pool is still worth visiting. And you were lucky to have such great weather! I wish it had been like this when I visited in 2017.

Already back then I wondered where all the sand had gone.
JosipCro wrote:Great regards to everyone!

My name is Josip, I come from Croatia. I am a longtime fan of Magnum series and I am very glad to join you in this great community!

Also, I have to point out very important! I'm really sad with the knowledge that struck Robin's Nest, and that's ruining.
I really could not believe this happened. Great wish was to visit Robins Nest, but now it's late :(

I would be very pleased if you could provide links to some of the Robins Nest photos?
Anything to do with it.
The pictures on the internet, of course, already have a collection of Magnum PI materials.
So if someone has something that has not been published yet, I'd be happy to share it with me.
You can also email me if this is a priority.

And my biggest wish is, one day to visit Hawaii :wink:

I wish everyone a pleasant day,

Greetings from Croatia
Belated welcome wishes robbie308 & Josip!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2542 Post by T.Q. »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4WCvDoppmM ... glja8v5j4n

Lots of the comments reflect a knowledge of (and fondness for) Robin's Nest. :magnum: :higgins:
Last edited by T.Q. on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2543 Post by eagle »

Great shot there. So sad to see the lack of Pahonu.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2544 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Great shot there. So sad to see the lack of Pahonu.
Quite - :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2545 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

FINALLY made it through this thread (only took me half the year)! What a roller coaster of excitement at the amazing photos, drawings, maps, and other information folks have provided, tempered by the emptiness of Pahonu's demolition.

Robin's Nest was one of my favorite parts of the show and I spent a lot of time daydreaming about it over the years. But it wasn't until I joined up here earlier this year and found all this information that I realized just how much of a connection I felt to it. So, I really appreciate the time you all have put into reporting so many details over the years! Especially since now I will never get to see the structure in-person.

One question, is there a focused thread or list of episodes (of MPI or others) with interior shots of Pahonu?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2546 Post by KENJI »

Hi Old Dusseldorf,

I don't believe there is another more focused Pahonu thread with interior shots etc.....everything is located in this one big box. :wink: You should start one ! :D

As already discussed.......Eve Anderson didn't allow filming inside the house for Magnum PI, but the original HFO had access for a bit until they broke some floor tiles or something like that and the inside was off limits. Another theory that has been tossed around was there was no filming inside for MPI because of the condition of the interior due to her collection of animals and other stuff if you know what I mean and had nothing to do with a few broken tiles. I'm sure the animals were doing their fair share of damage too. To be fair to Eve, I have no actual proof (pics etc.) other than what we heard when the place was being sold which could be all gossip, but having said that potential buyers weren't even allowed inside to have a look around which does raise flags. Maybe she just wanted to keep her inside sanctum private as the exterior was violated on a daily basis by people looking over the fence, wall and gates or maybe she was truly embarrassed to show inside because what we heard was actually true. It doesn't matter now as the place is gone for good. This thread does have all the real interior shots from HFO dotted around on multiple pages, but I know JJ put some of them in a bundle under PICS on the main page....Anderson Estate (Pahonu) should then be visible. All of the Magnum PI interior shots filmed inside the main house and guest house are not real, but we all still love that interior as if it was the real thing. Maybe Conch can bundle all of the faux interior pics into a grouping under PICS on the main page too, but I'm sure that would take WAY too much work......why not start with the new focused thread for now.

:)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2547 Post by K Hale »

I will add that there are a couple of MPI episodes where they did film interiors right inside the foyer. Thinking in particular of “By Its Cover” where there’s a brief scene of Magnum’s friend coming to the door, Higgins answering, and Magnum appearing in the background with the lads. From the echoing sound of their voices, and by comparing this with regular foyer/living room shots of the scenes filmed on the soundstage, this is clearly the real house. I want to say there’s another episode filmed in that spot too. So they were just barely inside the house, but they were inside.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2548 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:I will add that there are a couple of MPI episodes where they did film interiors right inside the foyer. Thinking in particular of “By Its Cover” where there’s a brief scene of Magnum’s friend coming to the door, Higgins answering, and Magnum appearing in the background with the lads. From the echoing sound of their voices, and by comparing this with regular foyer/living room shots of the scenes filmed on the soundstage, this is clearly the real house. I want to say there’s another episode filmed in that spot too. So they were just barely inside the house, but they were inside.
Technically, I don't think being in the foyer just inside the front door counts as being inside because you can walk to that same spot by going through the courtyard (the one with the famous white and yellow table umbrellas) and you never go through any doors to an interior. Also when you go through the door into the foyer and then you go up the stairs you come out on that balcony that we see Higgins on in the very first episode, so although there's a door you're never actually going inside when you enter the foyer.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2549 Post by K Hale »

The foyer is inside. The balcony (lanai) is outside.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2550 Post by Pahonu »

Both are under a roof, but neither is completely enclosed as a room. This is not uncharacteristic of the Spanish Colonial Revival style.