The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2506 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Pahonu wrote: ... it appears that the word "Pahonu" has been used to describe that section of coastline since the days of the Hawaiian Kingdom. It follows than that the name may not have been applied to any property in particular in that area, but rather only the turtle pond itself, which is the literal translation. Any properties nearby were then likely referred to as being at Pahonu. When several of the properties were ultimately assembled by Julia Grossman Wall to create the estate, she chose to call the property Pahonu because of the turtle pond.
Now that you put it that way, it seems so obvious. As I mentioned earlier, "Pa" seems (in this case) to mean roughly "enclosure" and of course "honu" is turtle -- therefore "Pahonu" means something like "turtle pen" or in other words, the turtle pond / tidal pool.

So "Pahonu" may also have been used off and on for centuries as a name for the adjoining land.

Thanks!
Carol

waverly2211
Captain

#2507 Post by waverly2211 »

Pahonu wrote:
waverly2211 wrote:
Carol the Dabbler wrote:Pahonu and K Hale, thanks for your replies.

Regarding the concrete (or is it stone / lava ? ) artifact at the landward edge of the tidal pool, I think K Hale may have a point. The map that RG posted and Pahonu quoted just above actually shows two piers, one by the current Shriner's property and the other attached to the shore at "The Bulge" that I inquired about last time. I've never gotten a clear understanding of exactly where that big chunk of whatever is located (does it show up in any aerial photos?), but that must be pretty close.

Since the aforementioned Bulge is shown in that 1928 map, it clearly predates the recently-demolished house, but I'm still wondering whether it began as a natural formation or was created by humans -- and if the latter, then which humans and why. Was it perhaps related to the turtle pond? Or to the pier?

I've read every post in this thread at some point or other, and dozens of pages just recently, so I'm not sure when this was posted, but I seem to recall someone saying that the name Pahonu was already used for the acre or so of land that currently forms the end of the estate nearest Waikiki / furthest from the Shriner's, well before the other parcels were added and the recent house was built. Looking at the map quoted above, though, I see the name Pahanua. Were both names used at one time or another, or is that map wrong, or am I misremembering?

I've tried to get a translation of Pahanua, but with little success so far. I suspect that the "Pa" syllable means the same thing in both names, something like "enclosure," but that's about it.
I have been back and forth to hawaii a bunch of time recently for work. Doing consulting for the state on the most recent HART project.

One person with the state has been nice to start to forward me links to items to docs on line.

From a state document which I am sure if you punch in the right words on Google it will pop up

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/files/2018 ... manalo.pdf

The original date of the construction of Pahonu is unknown, although oral histories indicate that it
predates the unification of the islands under Kamehameha. According to local tradition the ponds were
used as a holding pen for honu, which were reserved for the chief of the 'iii of Kukui.
The pond is bounded on the shoreline-side by modern seawalls. OCCL investigated the seawall offshore
of TMK (1) 4-1-002:007 as a possible encroachment in 2014. The Office concluded that the wall was a
non-conforming use dating from the 1930s, and had no objections to the parcel owner pursuing an
easement with DLNR's Land Division.
The State Land Abstractor studied the disposition of the "rock walled enclosure ... commonly known as
Pahonu," and in a letter dated August 11, 2014 found that:
Loko l'a: OA-18-05
Pahonu, Waimanalo
The earliest reference to the name "Pahonu" given for this enclosure is found in Land
Commission Award Number 25-1 (LCA 234-1) issued to Pahanua on December 2, 1850. When
Pahanua made his claim for LCA 234-1, witnesses stated he received the land form Lono in the
time of Kina'u in 1839. LCA 234-1 describes Apana 2 as being a house lot at "Pahonu, Waimanalo,
Oahu." The English translation of Pahonu is "Turtle Enclosure" or "Turtle Pond." The sketch
made as part of LCA 324-1 does not illustrate or provide a metes and bounds description of the
enclosure. This is important to point out because clearly the enclosure was not part of the land
awarded to Pahanua.
Interesting stuff, waverly 2211. Thanks! The first one has been posted before.

I don't know if all of this is accurate, but it appears that the word "Pahonu" has been used to describe that section of coastline since the days of the Hawaiian Kingdom. It follows than that the name may not have been applied to any property in particular in that area, but rather only the turtle pond itself, which is the literal translation. Any properties nearby were then likely referred to as being at Pahonu. When several of the properties were ultimately assembled by Julia Grossman Wall to create the estate, she chose to call the property Pahonu because of the turtle pond. Nohokula and some of the other names were the owner's of those properties names. Most properties, after all, are not given a name, but referred to by the owner's name i.e. Ordenstein. I don't know about the translation of Pahanua owned by Crane.

Got this, last night and a small blurb this AM, I edited out some names. Sorry if some of this info has been posted before. And the links below, I found as well after typing in some stuff my new found friend at the Hawaii Public Works Division told me to look up.

“Mac, sorry if I jump around and if I trivialize the process, but in a nutshell. Before the 1800’s there wasn’t allot of archives in regards to land ownership. K1 in his later years started Hawaii down the path to a more colonial governorship and record keeping, K2 and K3 continued, before all you Haole’s took over, Ha Ha.

So along the way LCA’s, Land Commission Awards became the law of the land to establish ownership, sort of. But since we have an LCA this is where I started as is establishes initial ownership, or at a minimum land right to the property and structures on.

On your map please note the following, L.C.A. 234-I 1, notes the land being commissioned to Pahanua, see page 23 on the following link. The 1 indicates he has been granted land and has another property or claimed he had another. http://www.avakonohiki.org. Follow the links to AVA Paths then to Search by LAC Index, numerical page 4, page 23.

Pahanua was a real person initially awarded the land in question. As you see below his name there is property listed but with no name. Based on that document, it appears both Pahanua and Piimoku may have laid claim to the same land and it was eventually granted to Piimoku. If you look at his grant a bit lower on the map link below you will see Piimoku’s land grant 234-K.

http://www.avakonohiki.org/maps-koolaupoko.html, same as
Go to the Waimanalo link. If you look closely, middle top part you will see Pahanua, I and the LCA number. Follow the Road, where it makes a right keep looking closely you will see it.

Clearly Pahanua, I was a real person and owned the land.

Pahanua Owned by Crane, was common back then. Many traditionalists believed the wealthy just stole land, so the State tried to keep grant names and the LCA's on the maps to show it was deeded to a local before purchase/transfer. As we progressed thru the 40's the practice was abolished. On a side note, there is a huge market for these original maps and documents by the many traditional/historical Hawaiian societies. Some have sold a private sales for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Based on what I can find, Crane, Owner may refer to Charles Crane who was a local Hawaiian newspaper publisher in the early 1900’s he may have purchased the land from Pahanua, or Pahanua died and he bought in an auction, actually I really don’t know and it doesn't fit my theory.

Still efforting on "Crane" his father was a fisherman and boat captain in Honolulu, nothing pops up in the archives, but Pahanua may have crossed paths with the elder crane.

Something to consider, many older Hawaiian's still reference property by the original name of the Hawaiian owner. They believe it keeps them closer to the 'Aina. Ancestor land.

So I have a theory and I will spend some time as it is very interesting to me. I will touch base when I get my thought together.

I will update when I know more.

That’s what’s Happening.”

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#2508 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Oops, I just now noticed a document quote in your earlier post that you quoted just above:
The earliest reference to the name "Pahonu" given for this enclosure is found in Land
Commission Award Number 25-1 (LCA 234-1) issued to Pahanua on December 2, 1850. When
Pahanua made his claim for LCA 234-1, witnesses stated he received the land form Lono in the
time of Kina'u in 1839.
So now we not only know where the name Pahanua came from (the original owner of the land), but also that he was given the land in 1839 by Lono -- presumably "the" Lono, the god of (according to Wikipedia) fertility, agriculture, rainfall, music, and peace. Can't get much more official than that!

Thanks for all this detailed info, Waverly. You've answered a whole lot of questions.
Carol

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2509 Post by Pahonu »

waverly2211 wrote:A recent document with some older docs that may or may not explain the sea wall.

http://files.hawaii.gov/dlnr/meeting/su ... 4/D-21.pdf
Hey waverly 2211,

If you have a contact in the Hawaii Public Works Department, is it possible they could gain access to files of the construction documents for Pahonu? I'm thinking about any plans for construction that may have been filed for permits or inspection. This would be the holy grail for fans of the estate, especially since it's demolition. :magnum:

waverly2211
Captain

#2510 Post by waverly2211 »

Pahonu wrote:
waverly2211 wrote:A recent document with some older docs that may or may not explain the sea wall.

Hey waverly 2211,

If you have a contact in the Hawaii Public Works Department, is it possible they could gain access to files of the construction documents for Pahonu? I'm thinking about any plans for construction that may have been filed for permits or inspection. This would be the holy grail for fans of the estate, especially since it's demolition. :magnum:

I just reached out, I will update when I hear back.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2511 Post by Pahonu »

waverly2211 wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Hey waverly 2211,

I just reached out, I will update when I hear back.

Fingers crossed! :D

JosipCro
Captain

#2512 Post by JosipCro »

Great regards to everyone!

My name is Josip, I come from Croatia. I am a longtime fan of Magnum series and I am very glad to join you in this great community!

Also, I have to point out very important! I'm really sad with the knowledge that struck Robin's Nest, and that's ruining.
I really could not believe this happened. Great wish was to visit Robins Nest, but now it's late :(

I would be very pleased if you could provide links to some of the Robins Nest photos?
Anything to do with it.
The pictures on the internet, of course, already have a collection of Magnum PI materials.
So if someone has something that has not been published yet, I'd be happy to share it with me.
You can also email me if this is a priority.

And my biggest wish is, one day to visit Hawaii :wink:

I wish everyone a pleasant day,

Greetings from Croatia

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2513 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome JosipCro!

We all share your love for the show, the estate and anything/everything Magnum related (at least the "original"... :magnum: )

I am in the same category as yourself, having never visited Hawaii or the estate, and like yourself, am saddened by the stark reality that the best possible now is to visit the front gate, and take a dip in the tidal pool...though that's all anyone's ever been able to do! But now no one can ever peek over the fence again to get a glimpse of the main house....life goes on...eh?

I don't have any pics that haven't been posted, but there are many, many available that have been, here (on this forum) and on the internet in general. Some great pictures have been shared by many members here, just start looking through old threads and do "Google" searches.

You won't find a better/friendlier bunch of Magnum Maniacs than there are right here at Magnum Mania! You found the honey hole of fandom.

Again, welcome! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

JosipCro
Captain

#2514 Post by JosipCro »

I'm very excited to be part of the Magnum PI team :)

I agree with your words, this is the biggest and best forum for the Magnum series.
I can also say that I'm just registered here on this forum because I was impressed with the material and the information here!
Indeed, every honor!

I started reading the topic from the very beginning, if I have any questions or suggestions of course I will share it with all of you

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2515 Post by K Hale »

Aerial shot of Pahonu that I took a couple of weeks ago. I took the Magnum Helicopters tour.

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2516 Post by K Hale »

Me after the tour. It was pretty awesome. No doors on the chopper! (That's a life preserver, not a fanny pack.)

They picked me and two other people up in a courtesy van (not the Vanagon, sadly) and when we walked up to the tour office, we were greeted with "Hi guys!"

Last edited by K Hale on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2517 Post by K Hale »

The mysterious concrete block thing is not ancient. Part of it is iron rebar.

These iron bits extending from the old boat ramp at the boathouse/guesthouse match some of the iron bits that are in the concrete block.

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2518 Post by K Hale »

This rock arrangement is in front of the boathouse/guesthouse and a little to the left as you are facing it.

It lines up with the concrete block. I do not know if that means anything, just saying.

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2519 Post by K Hale »

Someone had left this cut plant on the seawall, and also a coconut cut in half.

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2520 Post by K Hale »

Still lovely.

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!