The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2491 Post by K Hale »

JungleBird wrote:
K Hale wrote:Photos on the Facebook group show someone has done some cleanup of the wild foliage and a small stairs structure has been built.
How can I find this group on FB?
Thanks!

So the boathouse and gatehouse are still standing? I wonder when they're planning to continue destroying this beautiful property...
It’s called “Magnum P.I. International Fan Club.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#2492 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I last visited this forum two or three years ago, shortly after Pahonu was sold, so came back a few days ago to get an update. Bit of a shock there! I've spent the past few days reading the many dozen new posts on this thread, and am now ready to make a few comments.

First off, several people have (correctly) stated that virtually all beaches in the state of Hawaii are public property, but I don't recall anyone defining "beach." It's basically everything below the normal high-tide line. (Just for kicks, here's the full legal definition: http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/common ... -statutes/ ) Of course in the case of Pahonu, the high-tide line is apparently partway up the sea wall, so everything between that wall and the low-tide line is by definition "beach" and therefore public property.

I found Robbie308's aerial shots from "TC"s chopper particularly interesting (thanks, Robbie!). Note that the shortline by Pahonu's main house bulges outward into the sea. This is most obvious on Robbie's second "vertical" photo.
robbie308 wrote:Let's start with some pics from above, taken in October 2017 from "the Chopper".

This leaves me wondering which is the chicken and which is the egg. Did whoever originally built that portion of the seawall merely conserve the then-existing shoreline? If so, was the bulge already there, or have the neighboring areas since eroded back a few feet? In either case, why is that portion of the seawall so high -- was there already a natural mini-cliff? Or -- did they first build the wall and then fill in behind it to create more land and a better viewpoint? If the latter, obviously such a thing would not be permitted today. In any case, if the shoreline were straight at that point, the back wall of the late house would have been right at the edge!

Regarding retention of the foundation and slab, that's common practice here when the old house was built in a location where building would no longer be permitted. If you rebuild on the old footprint, it's considered "remodeling" or something of that sort, so the location is grandfathered in. I strongly suspect that's the motivation for leaving the footprint intact in this case. As mentioned in the preceding paragraph, that back wall is / was awfully close to the sea!

Regarding the "RM" initials on the front gate: I'm reminded of the "221B Baker Street" door on the BBC program Sherlock. The house they chose to use for exterior shots didn't have the sort of front door they wanted, so for the first few episodes they would laboriously replace the door each time they were preparing to film. Finally they asked the owners if they'd like to have that door permanently, and they agreed -- so now all they need to do with the door is change the real house number to "221B" before filming. I have no idea how this relates to whether the "RM" was removed or changed for a different plaque between filming days or else left in place, I'm just reminded. Does anyone have fan shots taken during the years when episodes were being filmed (but not on filming days)?

Regarding that big square slab of rock or concrete near the landward edge of the tidal pool: Does anyone know the history of it? Is it an ancient ceremonial altar? Or debris from demolition of the house that was there just before the recent one was built? Or what?

Regarding the ability to climb a palm tree: My first husband was a "local boy" who grew up on Oahu and Kauai, and he could climb up a palm just like a monkey. The secret (in his case at least) was removal of footwear. He had the most amazing prehensile toes, presumably because he had never worn shoes as a kid (only flipflops, which are of course easily kicked off).
Carol

Rands
Rear Admiral

#2493 Post by Rands »

As a Maniac, I was so surprised that a resource like Pahonu was not used wisely. I, like many of the Maniacs, have been to Pahonu prior to it's destruction. The absolute beauty of the estate, even in it's less than pristine condition was breathtaking. While I can only speak for myself, I had often hoped that Pahonu would have been made into a boutique hotel, or other high end lodging. I certainly would have paid a pretty penny for that pleasure.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2494 Post by eagle »

Rands wrote:As a Maniac, I was so surprised that a resource like Pahonu was not used wisely. I, like many of the Maniacs, have been to Pahonu prior to it's destruction. The absolute beauty of the estate, even in it's less than pristine condition was breathtaking. While I can only speak for myself, I had often hoped that Pahonu would have been made into a boutique hotel, or other high end lodging. I certainly would have paid a pretty penny for that pleasure.
I too was hoping it would have been turned into a boutique hotel or a B&B or something. A friend and I discussed the idea of buying it and turning it into a B&B. Oh well.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2495 Post by Pahonu »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:I last visited this forum two or three years ago, shortly after Pahonu was sold, so came back a few days ago to get an update. Bit of a shock there! I've spent the past few days reading the many dozen new posts on this thread, and am now ready to make a few comments.

First off, several people have (correctly) stated that virtually all beaches in the state of Hawaii are public property, but I don't recall anyone defining "beach." It's basically everything below the normal high-tide line. (Just for kicks, here's the full legal definition: http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/common ... -statutes/ ) Of course in the case of Pahonu, the high-tide line is apparently partway up the sea wall, so everything between that wall and the low-tide line is by definition "beach" and therefore public property.

I found Robbie308's aerial shots from "TC"s chopper particularly interesting (thanks, Robbie!). Note that the shortline by Pahonu's main house bulges outward into the sea. This is most obvious on Robbie's second "vertical" photo.
robbie308 wrote:Let's start with some pics from above, taken in October 2017 from "the Chopper".

This leaves me wondering which is the chicken and which is the egg. Did whoever originally built that portion of the seawall merely conserve the then-existing shoreline? If so, was the bulge already there, or have the neighboring areas since eroded back a few feet? In either case, why is that portion of the seawall so high -- was there already a natural mini-cliff? Or -- did they first build the wall and then fill in behind it to create more land and a better viewpoint? If the latter, obviously such a thing would not be permitted today. In any case, if the shoreline were straight at that point, the back wall of the late house would have been right at the edge!

Regarding retention of the foundation and slab, that's common practice here when the old house was built in a location where building would no longer be permitted. If you rebuild on the old footprint, it's considered "remodeling" or something of that sort, so the location is grandfathered in. I strongly suspect that's the motivation for leaving the footprint intact in this case. As mentioned in the preceding paragraph, that back wall is / was awfully close to the sea!

Regarding the "RM" initials on the front gate: I'm reminded of the "221B Baker Street" door on the BBC program Sherlock. The house they chose to use for exterior shots didn't have the sort of front door they wanted, so for the first few episodes they would laboriously replace the door each time they were preparing to film. Finally they asked the owners if they'd like to have that door permanently, and they agreed -- so now all they need to do with the door is change the real house number to "221B" before filming. I have no idea how this relates to whether the "RM" was removed or changed for a different plaque between filming days or else left in place, I'm just reminded. Does anyone have fan shots taken during the years when episodes were being filmed (but not on filming days)?

Regarding that big square slab of rock or concrete near the landward edge of the tidal pool: Does anyone know the history of it? Is it an ancient ceremonial altar? Or debris from demolition of the house that was there just before the recent one was built? Or what?

Regarding the ability to climb a palm tree: My first husband was a "local boy" who grew up on Oahu and Kauai, and he could climb up a palm just like a monkey. The secret (in his case at least) was removal of footwear. He had the most amazing prehensile toes, presumably because he had never worn shoes as a kid (only flipflops, which are of course easily kicked off).

Hey Carol,

It's been established by Rembrandt's Girl using historic maps that the current Pahonu property was assembled in the early 30's by the purchase of several private properties and some government land by Julia Grossman Wall. Records show that the tall seawall at the main house was already in existence at that time, as was the lower one by the guest house, though on separate properties. There was also in existence a pier extending into the water near the guest house location. These seawalls were then connected in the development of the newly combined properties while at the same time creating an easement for storm drainage from the newly built Kalanianaole Highway to a spot by the location of the existing beach access gate. The current sea level that leaves little dry sand has occurred in the decades since then as a result of sea level rise. Go back through the previous pages of this thread and you will find all the evidence of what I just explained. Just as in California, where I live, public beach is defined in Hawaii as the area from the mean high tide line toward the water. That line has risen considerably since Pahonu was built in the early 30's to the point where no dry sand exists at mean high tide at Pahonu.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2496 Post by K Hale »

Was the concrete block in the tidal pool part of that pier? Or has it been established what that thing is?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#2497 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale,

This map RG posted shows the original properties and the original road before they were assembled into Pahonu. In the overlay it can be seen that the pier by the boat house does not line up with the concrete box in the tidal pool. That pier connected to what is now the Shriner's property and that property's seawall. The box is to the right, in front of the boat house. There has been considerable debate over the years about what that box is. I don't believe there has been a definitive answer.
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I found another map of Pahonu! This one is from 1928 (and cropped...the original extends east and west along the coastline) which is a bit older and definitely more detailed than the last one I found which was dated 1930. Down below I've positioned it over present-day google maps (well, my son actually did it for me :oops: )

Notes of interest:

- Kalanianaole Highway at this time is just the "proposed" location, not yet constructed

- the "Present Road" that is on the property

- a pier drawn just off the main house location?!

- the not-yet constructed storm drain easement looks to have been a natural drainage/waterway

- multiple existing structures on the property

I'm sure you guys will spot even more things I didn't catch!

1928 over present day

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#2498 Post by Chris109 »

Had to come look at these pictures today. I'm knee deep in global warming in upstate NY.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#2499 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Pahonu and K Hale, thanks for your replies.

Regarding the concrete (or is it stone / lava ? ) artifact at the landward edge of the tidal pool, I think K Hale may have a point. The map that RG posted and Pahonu quoted just above actually shows two piers, one by the current Shriner's property and the other attached to the shore at "The Bulge" that I inquired about last time. I've never gotten a clear understanding of exactly where that big chunk of whatever is located (does it show up in any aerial photos?), but that must be pretty close.

Since the aforementioned Bulge is shown in that 1928 map, it clearly predates the recently-demolished house, but I'm still wondering whether it began as a natural formation or was created by humans -- and if the latter, then which humans and why. Was it perhaps related to the turtle pond? Or to the pier?

I've read every post in this thread at some point or other, and dozens of pages just recently, so I'm not sure when this was posted, but I seem to recall someone saying that the name Pahonu was already used for the acre or so of land that currently forms the end of the estate nearest Waikiki / furthest from the Shriner's, well before the other parcels were added and the recent house was built. Looking at the map quoted above, though, I see the name Pahanua. Were both names used at one time or another, or is that map wrong, or am I misremembering?

I've tried to get a translation of Pahanua, but with little success so far. I suspect that the "Pa" syllable means the same thing in both names, something like "enclosure," but that's about it.
Carol

waverly2211
Captain

#2500 Post by waverly2211 »

A recent document with some older docs that may or may not explain the sea wall.

http://files.hawaii.gov/dlnr/meeting/su ... 4/D-21.pdf

waverly2211
Captain

#2501 Post by waverly2211 »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:Pahonu and K Hale, thanks for your replies.

Regarding the concrete (or is it stone / lava ? ) artifact at the landward edge of the tidal pool, I think K Hale may have a point. The map that RG posted and Pahonu quoted just above actually shows two piers, one by the current Shriner's property and the other attached to the shore at "The Bulge" that I inquired about last time. I've never gotten a clear understanding of exactly where that big chunk of whatever is located (does it show up in any aerial photos?), but that must be pretty close.

Since the aforementioned Bulge is shown in that 1928 map, it clearly predates the recently-demolished house, but I'm still wondering whether it began as a natural formation or was created by humans -- and if the latter, then which humans and why. Was it perhaps related to the turtle pond? Or to the pier?

I've read every post in this thread at some point or other, and dozens of pages just recently, so I'm not sure when this was posted, but I seem to recall someone saying that the name Pahonu was already used for the acre or so of land that currently forms the end of the estate nearest Waikiki / furthest from the Shriner's, well before the other parcels were added and the recent house was built. Looking at the map quoted above, though, I see the name Pahanua. Were both names used at one time or another, or is that map wrong, or am I misremembering?

I've tried to get a translation of Pahanua, but with little success so far. I suspect that the "Pa" syllable means the same thing in both names, something like "enclosure," but that's about it.
I have been back and forth to hawaii a bunch of time recently for work. Doing consulting for the state on the most recent HART project.

One person with the state has been nice to start to forward me links to items to docs on line.

From a state document which I am sure if you punch in the right words on Google it will pop up

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/files/2018 ... manalo.pdf

The original date of the construction of Pahonu is unknown, although oral histories indicate that it
predates the unification of the islands under Kamehameha. According to local tradition the ponds were
used as a holding pen for honu, which were reserved for the chief of the 'iii of Kukui.
The pond is bounded on the shoreline-side by modern seawalls. OCCL investigated the seawall offshore
of TMK (1) 4-1-002:007 as a possible encroachment in 2014. The Office concluded that the wall was a
non-conforming use dating from the 1930s, and had no objections to the parcel owner pursuing an
easement with DLNR's Land Division.
The State Land Abstractor studied the disposition of the "rock walled enclosure ... commonly known as
Pahonu," and in a letter dated August 11, 2014 found that:
Loko l'a: OA-18-05
Pahonu, Waimanalo
The earliest reference to the name "Pahonu" given for this enclosure is found in Land
Commission Award Number 25-1 (LCA 234-1) issued to Pahanua on December 2, 1850. When
Pahanua made his claim for LCA 234-1, witnesses stated he received the land form Lono in the
time of Kina'u in 1839. LCA 234-1 describes Apana 2 as being a house lot at "Pahonu, Waimanalo,
Oahu." The English translation of Pahonu is "Turtle Enclosure" or "Turtle Pond." The sketch
made as part of LCA 324-1 does not illustrate or provide a metes and bounds description of the
enclosure. This is important to point out because clearly the enclosure was not part of the land
awarded to Pahanua.

Pahonu

#2502 Post by Pahonu »

waverly2211 wrote:

I have been back and forth to hawaii a bunch of time recently for work. Doing consulting for the state on the most recent HART project.

One person with the state has been nice to start to forward me links to items to docs on line.

From a state document which I am sure if you punch in the right words on Google it will pop up

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/files/2018 ... manalo.pdf

The original date of the construction of Pahonu is unknown, although oral histories indicate that it
predates the unification of the islands under Kamehameha. According to local tradition the ponds were
used as a holding pen for honu, which were reserved for the chief of the 'iii of Kukui.
The pond is bounded on the shoreline-side by modern seawalls. OCCL investigated the seawall offshore
of TMK (1) 4-1-002:007 as a possible encroachment in 2014. The Office concluded that the wall was a
non-conforming use dating from the 1930s, and had no objections to the parcel owner pursuing an
easement with DLNR's Land Division.
The State Land Abstractor studied the disposition of the "rock walled enclosure ... commonly known as
Pahonu," and in a letter dated August 11, 2014 found that:
Loko l'a: OA-18-05
Pahonu, Waimanalo
The earliest reference to the name "Pahonu" given for this enclosure is found in Land
Commission Award Number 25-1 (LCA 234-1) issued to Pahanua on December 2, 1850. When
Pahanua made his claim for LCA 234-1, witnesses stated he received the land form Lono in the
time of Kina'u in 1839. LCA 234-1 describes Apana 2 as being a house lot at "Pahonu, Waimanalo,
Oahu." The English translation of Pahonu is "Turtle Enclosure" or "Turtle Pond." The sketch
made as part of LCA 324-1 does not illustrate or provide a metes and bounds description of the
enclosure. This is important to point out because clearly the enclosure was not part of the land
awarded to Pahanua.
Interesting stuff, waverly 2211. Thanks! The first one has been posted before.

I don't know if all of this is accurate, but it appears that the word "Pahonu" has been used to describe that section of coastline since the days of the Hawaiian Kingdom. It follows than that the name may not have been applied to any property in particular in that area, but rather only the turtle pond itself, which is the literal translation. Any properties nearby were then likely referred to as being at Pahonu. When several of the properties were ultimately assembled by Julia Grossman Wall to create the estate, she chose to call the property Pahonu because of the turtle pond. Nohokula and some of the other names were the owner's of those properties names. Most properties, after all, are not given a name, but referred to by the owner's name i.e. Ordenstein. I don't know about the translation of Pahanua owned by Crane.
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#2503 Post by Pahonu »

The square concrete (or whatever material) box IS visible in the photo. The overlay map shows it just to the right of the pier from the Shriner's property. It is located just to the right of the boat house, while the pier is connected to the Shriner's property. If you zoom in you can see it's simply too far from the pier to be part of it's structure. Hence the mystery! This possibility was discussed many years ago on this forum.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#2504 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

waverly2211 wrote:A recent document with some older docs that may or may not explain the sea wall.

I must admit to not having read every single word of that (!), but it's my impression that the older documents were presented as evidence that there was already a seawall in the 1930's and the newer documents give permission to do necessary repairs, etc., on the wall. The state was involved because the wall is basically on the beach, which is state property.

I'm gonna guess that the original seawall was built before such permission was required, so there isn't likely to be any audit trail of its construction.
Carol

Pahonu

#2505 Post by Pahonu »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:
waverly2211 wrote:A recent document with some older docs that may or may not explain the sea wall.

I must admit to not having read every single word of that (!), but it's my impression that the older documents were presented as evidence that there was already a seawall in the 1930's and the newer documents give permission to do necessary repairs, etc., on the wall. The state was involved because the wall is basically on the beach, which is state property.

I'm gonna guess that the original seawall was built before such permission was required, so there isn't likely to be any audit trail of its construction.
Correct! I read the whole thing when it was first posted a couple of years ago. I used the land plat in it to refine my model of the estate, as it was newly measured and highly accurate.