The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2446 Post by Pahonu »

Maybe the premier day of the rebooted Magnum is not the best timing to put this out there, but I finally got the details squared away (with help from forum members) to host my most recent model of Pahonu. It includes the 3D model, which is unfinished, and probably never will be finished. LOL! It also includes a 2D floor plan that several members have helped me with.

You'll need the 2017 or newer version of SketchUp to view them, but the program is free online. Here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96a1j7ciiu3og ... 1.skp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/789fuxp3b285n ... n.skp?dl=0

With the house now demolished and tonight's reboot not looking too promising, maybe this is the right time after all.

I have no problem with feedback about any mistakes spotted, either. I would very much appreciate it.

Enjoy!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2447 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:Maybe the premier day of the rebooted Magnum is not the best timing to put this out there, but I finally got the details squared away (with help from forum members) to host my most recent model of Pahonu. It includes the 3D model, which is unfinished, and probably never will be finished. LOL! It also includes a 2D floor plan that several members have helped me with.

You'll need the 2017 or newer version of SketchUp to view them, but the program is free online. Here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96a1j7ciiu3og ... 1.skp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/789fuxp3b285n ... n.skp?dl=0

With the house now demolished and tonight's reboot not looking too promising, maybe this is the right time after all.

I have no problem with feedback about any mistakes spotted, either. I would very much appreciate it.

Enjoy!
They look great, Pahonu! :D I love the new details you've added, and having the floor plan in one piece is also wonderful! Thanks once again for doing this for all of us, Pahonu! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2448 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I just ran across these pics on Instagram of the walls of Pahonu being restored again. It was done in July of this year by a group called the E Alu Pu Network which is a network of more than 25 communities from around Hawaii who support each other in protecting and stewarding the lands and waters of Hawaii. E Alu Pu Means "Move Forward Together". :D

I discovered some really interesting additional information about the refurbishment of the tidal pool/turtle enclosure. The permit that was acquired to carry out the work is actually a three year permit, and what they did in July was only the first workday. They only completed one section of the wall, as you can see in the third pic above, and they will continue to work on it on scheduled workdays once a quarter.

However, this is what I found fascinating... they will also be propagating native seaweed (or "limu" in Hawaiian) on Pahonu's walls.

I learned that as recently as fifty years ago, the near shore waters of Waimanalo had a profusion of limu, which is the base for the marine environment of fish, honu, etc. The hope is that as a similar abundance of limu is restored, many more fish and honu will return to the area. They have already been propagating limu in other areas of Waimanalo Bay since November 2017.

As far as Pahonu is concerned, they will be tying leis of limu and securing them to the rock walls, and the spores will then spread to adjacent rocks and coral in the area. They make the leis by using a base of raffia and then attach a sprig of limu every couple inches. The finished lei will be either tied together in one long strand or they will use multiple smaller leis.

I know we've seen honu on our visits to Pahonu, but with the limu restored there will be even more, plus more fish, etc. :D :D :D

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#2449 Post by Kevster »

I suspect that the owners of oceanfront property were unhappy with the propagation of seaweed for impacting swimming, wading, and viewing the beautiful color created by just the sand and water, and they mitigated it however they could. Bringing it back will help sea life, but some owners will probably be resistant.
Trust Me!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2450 Post by KENJI »

Nice find there RG!
Great to see people getting together and making a difference.
Fingers crossed everything works out and the sea life returns.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2451 Post by K Hale »

KENJI wrote:Nice find there RG!
Well, there are jellyfish already for damn sure!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2452 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks KENJI! I agree... and I'd love to take part in something like this.

Kevster, I've been researching why the limu has been disappearing over the decades, and there are apparently many factors:

1. Over-harvesting - it's used extensively in the Hawaiian diet and it fetches a hefty price at market, so limu pickers harvest too often before it can replenish itself, or they completely remove the plant. Some of the native Hawaiians also still use it for medicinal purposes.

2. Invasive species of limu are smothering the native limu (and coral).

3. The loss of free-running streams - limu flourishes near fresh water but development and agriculture have diverted stream waters.

4. Pollution.

I didn't read anything about the oceanfront homeowners having a hand in its disappearance but you may be right. I doubt the Hawaiian homeowners would, but yes, perhaps the non-natives.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#2453 Post by Kevster »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Thanks KENJI! I agree... and I'd love to take part in something like this.

Kevster, I've been researching why the limu has been disappearing over the decades, and there are apparently many factors:

1. Over-harvesting - it's used extensively in the Hawaiian diet and it fetches a hefty price at market, so limu pickers harvest too often before it can replenish itself, or they completely remove the plant. Some of the native Hawaiians also still use it for medicinal purposes.

2. Invasive species of limu are smothering the native limu (and coral).

3. The loss of free-running streams - limu flourishes near fresh water but development and agriculture have diverted stream waters.

4. Pollution.

I didn't read anything about the oceanfront homeowners having a hand in its disappearance but you may be right. I doubt the Hawaiian homeowners would, but yes, perhaps the non-natives.
Your last comment was where I was thinking.

Shall I say that the two types of owners likely have different priorities? Was that delicate enough? LOL!
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu

#2454 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Kenji,

Did you see my post at the top of this page? I've finally figured out how to make my model of Pahonu and its floor plan available for down load.

I made the mistake of posting it on the day of the reboot premier, so it didn't get a lot of notice, to say the least. LOL! RG's the only one who commented on it. Let me know what you think.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2455 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote:
Hey Kenji,

Did you see my post at the top of this page? I've finally figured out how to make my model of Pahonu and its floor plan available for down load.

I made the mistake of posting it on the day of the reboot premier, so it didn't get a lot of notice, to say the least. LOL! RG's the only one who commented on it. Let me know what you think.
I'm so glad you finally got this worked out. Your model is amazing!

Hawaii84
Captain

#2456 Post by Hawaii84 »

Well, I got to see with my own eyes that the Nest is, indeed, gone. On Oahu from Texas for a job interview in Ewa Beach on Wednesday. Drove back to Waikiki the long way and stopped by. Took pictures of the gate and some from through the fence to the east. Sad. But, I did get to stand at the gate. Went to the park just west and took pictures of Rabbit Island. Wish I had brought a board. Interview came a few months too late. Fly back to Texas on Saturday morning.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2457 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
Hey Kenji,

Hi Pahonu,

Sorry I missed your excellent news! :oops: Yes, the reboot had me and I'm sure others, distracted and not concentrating on the more important Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu) thread.
Thank-you very much for taking the time to do this for all of us!!! :D
I'm still campaigning for that title change for you, but JJ is MIA at the moment. I'm guessing he is still celebrating the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup. HQ, HQ, come in HQ. :higgins: I'll try Conch and see if he can make it happen. :)

Thanks again!

Kenji

Pahonu

#2458 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Hey Kenji,

Hi Pahonu,

Sorry I missed your excellent news! :oops: Yes, the reboot had me and I'm sure others, distracted and not concentrating on the more important Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu) thread.
Thank-you very much for taking the time to do this for all of us!!! :D
I'm still campaigning for that title change for you, but JJ is MIA at the moment. I'm guessing he is still celebrating the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup. HQ, HQ, come in HQ. :higgins: I'll try Conch and see if he can make it happen. :)

Thanks again!

Kenji
No worries! :D I don't think Sam has seen it either.

Perhaps we can get Conch to change the link on the Robin's nest page too. SketchUp 2017 is needed to view it.

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/Robins_Nest.html

Hawaii84
Captain

#2459 Post by Hawaii84 »

K Hale wrote:A few random shots.

You can't tell from this pic -- you could if I had had my real camera with its 42x zoom -- but I swear to God this is the Magnum Helicopter Tours chopper, stripes and all, flying over the estate as I stood in the tidal pool. I could NOT believe this happened.

Lots of small silvery fish in the tidal pool. Thousands.

Technically not Pahonu but let me throw in a shot of Makai Research Pier practically next door. I did not realize it was so close.

That's it for now!
I believe you. I was on Waikiki for four days at the beginning of October and TC's chopper flew over every few hours. Pretty sure there are two of them. I took pictures at the gate very similar to yours. It was open just enough to squeeze through...but I didn't.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2460 Post by K Hale »

Gonna book a ride on it next time!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!