The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

NotthatRick
Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2281 Post by NotthatRick »

I know it sounds silly, but there are not too many days that I don't think about The Estate. First I get sad and then I get kind of mad. Like I said, I know it sounds silly. :(

robbie308
Lieutenant

#2282 Post by robbie308 »

NotthatRick wrote:I know it sounds silly, but there are not too many days that I don't think about The Estate. First I get sad and then I get kind of mad. Like I said, I know it sounds silly. :(
Believe me, you're not the only one. Especially amongst the readers of this forum!
"Oh – my – god!"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#2283 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

NotthatRick wrote:I know it sounds silly, but there are not too many days that I don't think about The Estate. First I get sad and then I get kind of mad. Like I said, I know it sounds silly. :(
I'm the complete opposite. First I get mad, then I get sad.

I feel like doing that 1979 Superman "spin the earth to turn back time" trick - and grab that Marty Nesbitt guy and fling him into the exploding Krypton sun. (...or that square flat Phantom Zone thing - either will do)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#2284 Post by KingKC »

robbie308 wrote:
Believe me, you're not the only one. Especially amongst the readers of this forum!
No, it is not silly. The estate was not just part of TV history, it, and the show, was part of my history. We all have certain, and sometimes specific, memories of the show but we must realize that all good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, it happens more and more with each passing day.

Diandra
Captain

#2285 Post by Diandra »

KingKC wrote:
robbie308 wrote:
No, it is not silly. The estate was not just part of TV history, it, and the show, was part of my history. We all have certain, and sometimes specific, memories of the show but we must realize that all good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, it happens more and more with each passing day.

It is very sad! Not silly at all!!!

Hawaii84
Captain

#2286 Post by Hawaii84 »

Agreed. After hearing about the demolition for the first time last week, I had this picture (http://magnum-mania.com/images/3_4_i_full.jpg) converted to a watercolor and put on a 12" x 24" hanging canvas for my office. Hard to explain to people that even though we might never have actually been there, the place was like home.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2287 Post by 308GUY »

Hawaii84 wrote:Agreed. After hearing about the demolition for the first time last week, I had this picture (http://magnum-mania.com/images/3_4_i_full.jpg) converted to a watercolor and put on a 12" x 24" hanging canvas for my office. Hard to explain to people that even though we might never have actually been there, the place was like home.

Agreed....and well said! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#2288 Post by Little Garwood »

As melodramatic as it is to state this, but any plans I had about making the long journey (I'm in Florida) to Hawaii have been smashed to pieces along with "Robin's Nest." :(

At least--as of this writing, anyway--Diamond Head and the Iolani Palace still stand (written with much sarcasm).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2289 Post by Steve »

Little Garwood wrote:As melodramatic as it is to state this, but any plans I had about making the long journey (I'm in Florida) to Hawaii have been smashed to pieces along with "Robin's Nest." :(

At least--as of this writing, anyway--Diamond Head and the Iolani Palace still stand (written with much sarcasm).
I agree, I have had the good fortune of visiting Oahu twice in the past thirty years. My first rip was in 1987 to Oahu and Maui when the series was still being filmed and the last trip in 2007 in which I had to convince my wife that going to Oahu would save us so much money over going to Maui. Of course my true reason was to visit The Estate as I had no idea where it was located on the first trip. Now, I have no reason to ever go back and can find Paradise for so much cheaper and closer just going to the Caribbean (or Florida Little G)........

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2290 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I apologize in advance, but I disagree with the previous posts.

Yes, Pahonu is not there anymore, but let's be honest: What could have been seen from the seaside was not very much (particularly after the plants grew higher and higher and Mrs. Anderson partly covered the building with blue mats) and the estate's condition was just sad to see.

The boathouse is still here - nobody knows for how long, so the next months or years may be the last chances to see it in place.
Swimming in the tidal pool (admittedly with a bad mood as you can't see the house anymore) is still possible - the view on Rabbit Island is still possible like sitting on the tidal wall is. -

The Waialae Beach Park/Kahala locations are still there and still worth visiting.

We've been to Hawaii now 4 times in the last years, and it's always worth visiting - not only for the MPI locations.

Pahonu is gone, life goes on and we have to get over it sooner or later.

But who knows how much time we have to see the boathouse still or the other main locations.

We will come back in October.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#2291 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'm with you Bondtoys! If I ever get the chance to go, I'm going to the tidal pool. It sucks that the house isn't there anymore, but standing on that beach would still be awesome. :magnum:

Diandra
Captain

#2292 Post by Diandra »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I'm with you Bondtoys! If I ever get the chance to go, I'm going to the tidal pool. It sucks that the house isn't there anymore, but standing on that beach would still be awesome. :magnum:

Yes, standing on the beach and swimming in the tidal pool were awesome!!

Derek
Commander

#2293 Post by Derek »

Just returned to the forum after a lengthy break, not suspecting anything (I admittedly have been living under a rock lately), and the first thing to read is about the remake (mixed feelings here), and then the shock about Pahonu. This website should have come with a warning! My first response was a Higgins quote (Oh-my-God!)

I just hope they restore it, but who knows...
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2294 Post by 308GUY »

Hey RG....any building permits issued yet.....little "articles" in the HI paper about plans for the property....rumors happened onto or overheard?

Curiosity......yaknow :lol:

Just figured if there was news of any kind....you'd know about it! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#2295 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

The Brady Bunch house is apparently worthy of restoring back "to its 1970s glory" and there were plans to "renovate the interior to make it resemble the set of the TV programme".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45092361

WHY NOT THE ROBIN MASTERS' ESTATE??!

Once again, DAMN YOU, MARTY NESBITT!!!