The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1831 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:MM member Lily would also spend part of the year on Oahu & Maui, right? I wonder if she might be there now.
I think she spent the months of January and February on Oahu

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1832 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:MM member Lily would also spend part of the year on Oahu & Maui, right? I wonder if she might be there now.
I think she spent the months of January and February on Oahu
Ah, thanks. (Must be nice, lucky lady! :D )

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1833 Post by ConchRepublican »

This is such depressing news. I am even more thankful now I was able to make the Pilgrimage last year.

I feel too much like Max Kellerman lately.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

knight8882
Lieutenant

#1834 Post by knight8882 »

Another short local news story posted on YouTube today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeQ9UkJ7B0

:cry:
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1835 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:This is such depressing news. I am even more thankful now I was able to make the Pilgrimage last year.

I feel too much like Max Kellerman lately.
I will forever be jealous of your trip. I am so glad you got to go, and I so enjoyed your photos. I had looked forward to making the pilgrimage at my 50th birthday, just under 3 years from now, but no longer. The main draw for me was going to be Pahonu, which is no more.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1836 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:Here is another drone taking aerial footage (pre-demo) from next door and out over the tidal pool.
It's not as good as the other video we've seen, but it's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3WfaKQng4
You can actually rent the home the drone flew over, the one that is directly next door and closest to the water (with the lawn chairs in front).
I was toying with throwing caution to the wind, cancelling my plans to go to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in August, instead head over there and rent the house for couple of days. I think when I first looked it up the price it was just a tad more that it cost me to stay in an upgraded upper floor room in The Rainbow Tower at The Hilton Hawaiian Village on my 2007 trip.........Plan cancelled now......Damn you Nesbitt!!!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1837 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:Here is another drone taking aerial footage (pre-demo) from next door and out over the tidal pool.

You can actually rent the home the drone flew over, the one that is directly next door and closest to the water (with the lawn chairs in front).
I was toying with throwing caution to the wind, cancelling my plans to go to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in August, instead head over there and rent the house for couple of days. I think when I first looked it up the price it was just a tad more that it cost me to stay in an upgraded upper floor room in The Rainbow Tower at The Hilton Hawaiian Village on my 2007 trip.........Plan cancelled now......Damn you Nesbitt!!!!!
That place next door is gorgeous! And, if you have enough people, it's not that bad a deal . . . considering oceanside in Hawaii that is . . .

https://www.vrbo.com/934743
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1838 Post by ThomasMagnum »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Steve wrote:

That place next door is gorgeous! And, if you have enough people, it's not that bad a deal . . . considering oceanside in Hawaii that is . . .

Looks fully booked between April 2020 and April 2021... interesting..

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1839 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Steve wrote:

Looks like they rent out the entire property now. When I had checked before you could just rent the cottage that is closest to the ocean and if I remember right it was much, much less than than the price listed now. For almost $1,500.00/day you can probably come close to renting out the KKMC Yacht!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1840 Post by eagle »

I meant to post this earlier, but I forgot to do that...

For me, the sad part of Pahonu now being bulldozed is that I LOVE to travel to places I have seen in movies and TV shows (e.g., the London locations from "Patriot Games"; all of the various locations from Bond movies, etc.). Pahonu is more than a 2-minute or 10-minute location from a movie. It was a central part of a show we all know and love -- and saw for 160 hour-long TV show episodes.

I have always wanted to go see it. That has been a life dream for me, but like another life dream, I have missed out on this one too.

The first life dream I missed out on was taking the Concorde. Cunard Line & British Airways used to have a deal going, where you took the Concorde in one direction, and the QE2 in the other direction -- between NYC/Dover for the QE2, and London/NYC for the Concorde. 3 hours one way, and 5 days the other way. How neat -- a supersonic aircraft for one leg, and a luxury liner for the other leg. The QE2 is something of a link back to Titanic. Unfortunately I never made it, as the Concorde was grounded before I got to do it.

That's why I am sad today. I have now missed on another life dream. I will never be able to see Pahonu, except in the TV show and in other photos and videos taken by fans of the show.

Thanks so much to ConchRepublican and others who have posted amazing photos of your visits.

I think it would be nice to start a collection of high-res versions of all of the photos we (MM fans) have of the estate.

My eyes are watery as I write this.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1841 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

@eagle,

I know exactly how you are feeling.
I was dreaming to visit Pahonu for more han half of my life (fortunately, I have been there trice in the last years).
I was also dreaming about a Transatlantic Crossing on QE2, made my first cruise ever in 2013 on Queen Mary2 which is better in almost every aspect.

All I can advise you: Don‘t wait longer, book the crossing for this year. You never know what happens if you are missing out. If money is an issue, book an inside cabin. We‘ve done this several times and loved it!

BTW, I have just booked a short cruise on her today.

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

#1842 Post by Work The Lock »

First John Hillerman passes, now Robin's Nest is gone, and the 30th anniversary of the series' conclusion only a few weeks away. Sigh. :cry:

BWheelz54
Admiral

#1843 Post by BWheelz54 »

Such sad news. But I thought I would post this little something, maybe to underline how that estate impacted kids like me who grew up in the eighties and remember watching Magnum PI during its prime. A good friend of mine who cultivates a pretty large Facebook group of pals not too long ago posted a question that asked, if you had all the money and magic you could dream of, what fictional place from movies or tv would you want to call as your home? Of course, I instantly named Robin's Nest from our favorite show. No surprise there. But I was amazed by how many of my friends, people I've known for years, posted that they too would wish to live in Robin's Nest in response to that question. I never knew so many of them were also fans of the show.

I think we all know that the interiors were shot in a studio. Still, somehow, that place. It's as real as it ever was, even if the cranes have torn it down. I hope that doesn't sound cute or trite. I like to think sometimes that when my physical expiration date comes around, that in my little heaven, my soul is going to spend a little time calling Robin's Nest home.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1844 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Last week the pug meet-up group got together again at Pahonu, and since they heard Hernandez was going to be the new Magnum they invited him to the party...

d_sorensen
Ensign

#1845 Post by d_sorensen »

Just came across this recent drone video of the demolition of the estate. So sad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo3hAxYv3Fk