The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1291 Post by KENJI »

I'm picturing Eve with her feet up, a bit sad, but with a celebratory drink in her hand, letting out a huge sigh of relief......finally some privacy. Thanks Eve for hanging on to Pahonu as long as you did!!! Lets hope Marty (or whoever really owns it) restores your grandparents place and breathes new life into it. Long live Pahonu!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1292 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote:Most of those pictures that are interior shots MUST be "concept" pictures/plans/designs. No way is the interior now like those modern interior designs????? But if that's what's going to be done to the inside . . . . . ugh! You lose all the historical footprint and architectural integrity with that (IMO!!!!!). Still it appears that the exterior has been painted, roof fixed (?), and some attempt to clean up all the exterior overgrowth of foliage.

Again, folks, JMO on interior!!! (don't want to get excoriated again).

golf
I agree, that bar area looks like an artists rendering.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1293 Post by KENJI »

Here is a good article (3 pages) on Marty Nesbitt that might interest some......
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... y-pritzker

Diandra
Captain

#1294 Post by Diandra »

KENJI wrote:I'm picturing Eve with her feet up, a bit sad, but with a celebratory drink in her hand, letting out a huge sigh of relief......finally some privacy. Thanks Eve for hanging on to Pahonu as long as you did!!! Lets hope Marty (or whoever really owns it) restores your grandparents place and breathes new life into it. Long live Pahonu!

I totally agree!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1295 Post by Pahonu »

golfmobile wrote:Most of those pictures that are interior shots MUST be "concept" pictures/plans/designs. No way is the interior now like those modern interior designs????? But if that's what's going to be done to the inside . . . . . ugh! You lose all the historical footprint and architectural integrity with that (IMO!!!!!). Still it appears that the exterior has been painted, roof fixed (?), and some attempt to clean up all the exterior overgrowth of foliage.

golf
They are indeed artists rendering. They all are, I think, but they are actual rooms and spaces in the structure. The amazing thing to me is they show a couple of rooms I've never seen before. In order...

5. the stair hall - seen before in H5O episodes (but it looks beautiful in the rendering)

6. the living room in the one-story ell - seen before in H5O episode "Woe to Wo Fat" and Vega$ episode

7. other room in the one-story ell - never seen before (seems to be configured as a bar or lounge)

8. master bedroom on second-story near seawall seen before in H5O episode "Cloth of Gold"

9. master bathroom, I believe the window is looking out onto the long upstairs balcony - never seen before

10. sitting room with balcony adjacent to master bedroom - balcony seen in MPI episode "No Need to Know"

11. boathouse lanai - seen once or twice ;)

12. the boat house interior - I repeat THE BOATHOUSE INTERIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - never seen before
This is what many of us have wanted to see, but it does show, as I've said many times before in this thread, it is much, much smaller than the show depicts. It's only about 10 feet wide. It seems to be rendered as a studio space.

Finally, I'm so excited that it seems Pahonu will not be razed. The time and expense it took to create the rendering would lead one to believe a remodel is planned. Unfortunately, I have followed the fate of several historic homes that did not end so well.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1296 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:

golf
They are indeed artists rendering. They all are, I think, but they are actual rooms and spaces in the structure. The amazing thing to me is they show a couple of rooms I've never seen before. In order...

5. the stair hall - seen before in H5O episodes (but it looks beautiful in the rendering)

6. the living room in the one-story ell - seen before in H5O episode "Woe to Wo Fat" and Vega$ episode

7. other room in the one-story ell - never seen before (seems to be configured as a bar or lounge)

8. master bedroom on second-story near seawall seen before in H5O episode "Cloth of Gold"

9. master bathroom, I believe the window is looking out onto the long upstairs balcony - never seen before

10. sitting room with balcony adjacent to master bedroom - balcony seen in MPI episode "No Need to Know"

11. boathouse lanai - seen once or twice ;)

12. the boat house interior - I repeat THE BOATHOUSE INTERIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - never seen before
This is what many of us have wanted to see, but it does show, as I've said many times before in this thread, it is much, much smaller than the show depicts. It's only about 10 feet wide. It seems to be rendered as a studio space.

Finally, I'm so excited that it seems Pahonu will not be razed. The time and expense it took to create the rendering would lead one to believe a remodel is planned. Unfortunately, I have followed the fate of several historic homes that did not end so well.
Hi Pahonu,

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.
When I saw the pics (even if they are renderings) I thought of you on Christmas Day.....I bet you are working on your masterpiece at this very moment....have fun....looking forward to your additions/adjustments!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1297 Post by golfmobile »

I seem to recall in the H5-0 episode that showed those interior stairs that the risers appeared to be some kind of Spanish tile, which was very dramatic, striking, and attractive. It would be a shame to lose that "Spanish colonial" look that is the style of the house in the first place. If they've been irreparably damaged, then just replace them. I thought it was a very nice design touch.

Agreed, it's somewhat of a comfort to anticipate that the house IS going to be renovated, at least it appears so if someone commissioned concept drawings -- even if the style is (JMO) WAY out of line.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1298 Post by Sam »

I wonder how true the renderings reflect the actual estate.First photo is from Woe to Wo Fat,the second from Star-Advertiser photo 8. The drapes are the same.

Correction..the first photo is from Cloth of Gold posted by Rubber Chicken in 2010.

Last edited by Sam on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1299 Post by golfmobile »

WOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That IS interesting! I didn't remember that at all! I still think that room looks so "out of place" with the rest of the rooms that we saw, and I guess I would have assumed it was a studio shot. Obviously -- NOT! Well, we know what happens when one "assumes" . . . . . Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa . . . .

Jeez, Sam, what kind of sick memory have you got???

:roll:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1300 Post by KENJI »

Nice detective work there Sam!!!

I remember the tile work up the stairs too Golf....lets hope he/she/whoever keeps them!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#1301 Post by Tuan Vu »

http://khon2.com/2015/03/19/longtime-ob ... -purchase/

By the way, that is Joe Moore, who played in several episodes of Magnum,PI. He was the minister in the last episode.

Fat Jack
Captain

#1302 Post by Fat Jack »

golfmobile wrote:I seem to recall in the H5-0 episode that showed those interior stairs that the risers appeared to be some kind of Spanish tile, which was very dramatic, striking, and attractive. It would be a shame to lose that "Spanish colonial" look that is the style of the house in the first place. If they've been irreparably damaged, then just replace them. I thought it was a very nice design touch.

Agreed, it's somewhat of a comfort to anticipate that the house IS going to be renovated, at least it appears so if someone commissioned concept drawings -- even if the style is (JMO) WAY out of line.

golf
I believe Sam posted this long ago and I thought there was another one he posted that had a bit better shot of the tile, but I can't find it right now:

Fat Jack
Captain

#1303 Post by Fat Jack »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:Sorry to be posting so much, guys. Just saw this in the Pacific Business News: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... es-to.html

It says:

Mary Worrall, vice president of List Sotheby’s International Realty, declined to reveal to PBN the identity of the buyer. But a press release from her firm noted that the buyer is "a kamaaina with strong ties to Hawaii who appreciates the property’s rich heritage and seems intent on maintaining the estate as one parcel."

What doesn't make sense is, according to the Politico article, Nesbitt bought the property...he's not a Kama'aina. A Kama'aina is a longtime resident of Hawaii.

Anyway, Worrall goes on to say that Anderson, whose stepmother was the late Barbara Cox Anthony of the Cox Enterprises fortune, wanted to sell to a buyer who would keep the property mostly how it is and not make any major changes. Developers, who did show interest at first, weren’t in the running in the end.

This all sounds very promising!
Don't apologize! We're your support group. :)

Thanks for all the info! :magnum:
Thanks all! Good to be here!

Like all of you I'm an MPI and Pahonu fan. I've been to the turtle pond a few times and like so many of you, have peeked in where I could. Not too long ago I had a taste of what it must be like to be Eve when it snowed where I live for the first time in some 30 years. Needless to say, half of the city came to play in it with no qualms about tromping on my plants, scraping snow off my car, having snowball fights on my lawn, etc. The next morning when most of it had melted I walked out to get the paper and there were two people standing on my front lawn taking selfies, and they didn't blink an eye when they saw me. It was an “Oh my gaawwwd!” :higgins: moment, and I realized that this must be how Eve has felt all these years.

Now that I've said all that, I've found Eve's new property (shameful, aren't I?) which she purchased last April. I won't post her address, although I doubt anyone is interested in her new place, lol. It's a nice 2 acre property on the outskirts of Kailua.

I agree, this move must be bittersweet for her.

p.s. - I'll keep an eye out for any permit applications that get posted for Pahonu :D

Diandra
Captain

#1304 Post by Diandra »

Fat Jack wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:Sorry to be posting so much, guys. Just saw this in the Pacific Business News: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... es-to.html

It says:

Mary Worrall, vice president of List Sotheby’s International Realty, declined to reveal to PBN the identity of the buyer. But a press release from her firm noted that the buyer is "a kamaaina with strong ties to Hawaii who appreciates the property’s rich heritage and seems intent on maintaining the estate as one parcel."

What doesn't make sense is, according to the Politico article, Nesbitt bought the property...he's not a Kama'aina. A Kama'aina is a longtime resident of Hawaii.

Anyway, Worrall goes on to say that Anderson, whose stepmother was the late Barbara Cox Anthony of the Cox Enterprises fortune, wanted to sell to a buyer who would keep the property mostly how it is and not make any major changes. Developers, who did show interest at first, weren’t in the running in the end.

This all sounds very promising!

Don't apologize! We're your support group. :)

Thanks for all the info! :magnum:

Thanks all! Good to be here!

Like all of you I'm an MPI and Pahonu fan. I've been to the turtle pond a few times and like so many of you, have peeked in where I could. Not too long ago I had a taste of what it must be like to be Eve when it snowed where I live for the first time in some 30 years. Needless to say, half of the city came to play in it with no qualms about tromping on my plants, scraping snow off my car, having snowball fights on my lawn, etc. The next morning when most of it had melted I walked out to get the paper and there were two people standing on my front lawn taking selfies, and they didn't blink an eye when they saw me. It was an “Oh my gaawwwd!” :higgins: moment, and I realized that this must be how Eve has felt all these years.

Now that I've said all that, I've found Eve's new property (shameful, aren't I?) which she purchased last April. I won't post her address, although I doubt anyone is interested in her new place, lol. It's a nice 2 acre property on the outskirts of Kailua.

I agree, this move must be bittersweet for her.

p.s. - I'll keep an eye out for any permit applications that get posted for Pahonu :D

Now Fox News is reporting on the sale of Pahonu. They are saying that Nesbitt bought the property for his friend President Obama.
If this is true the traffic, on the highway in front of the estate, will be horrendous, when he is there.

Fat Jack
Captain

#1305 Post by Fat Jack »

I can't find that this has been discussed on MM before...episodes of the Brian Keith show were filmed at Pahonu? http://www.kitv.com/news/mystery-behind ... d/31910250

Does the cast intro location look familiar or am I just trying to see it :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTMiiN7mOQ