The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fat Jack
Captain

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1276 Post by Fat Jack »

BWheelz54 wrote:Through Magnum Mania, I have today been called a cultist and a nerd. Yep. They got it right. This is the strangest kind of fun.
Don't forget Fox called us "amateur sleuths" :x

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1277 Post by ConchRepublican »

Did the Washington ComPost call us nerds?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fat Jack
Captain

#1278 Post by Fat Jack »

Steve wrote:The story has now made Politico....
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/o ... 16233.html
Thanks for posting this, Steve. This makes more sense than Obama buying it...

In a statement late Thursday, Madorsky suggested that Nesbitt was the buyer of the home — but didn’t address what might happen to it in the future. "Marty Nesbitt has authorized me to advise you that I represented him in connection with the purchase. Marty did not have any partners or co-investors in the transaction,” Madorsky said.

Fat Jack
Captain

#1279 Post by Fat Jack »

Sorry to be posting so much, guys. Just saw this in the Pacific Business News: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... es-to.html

It says:

Mary Worrall, vice president of List Sotheby’s International Realty, declined to reveal to PBN the identity of the buyer. But a press release from her firm noted that the buyer is "a kamaaina with strong ties to Hawaii who appreciates the property’s rich heritage and seems intent on maintaining the estate as one parcel."

What doesn't make sense is, according to the Politico article, Nesbitt bought the property...he's not a Kama'aina. A Kama'aina is a longtime resident of Hawaii.

Anyway, Worrall goes on to say that Anderson, whose stepmother was the late Barbara Cox Anthony of the Cox Enterprises fortune, wanted to sell to a buyer who would keep the property mostly how it is and not make any major changes. Developers, who did show interest at first, weren’t in the running in the end.

This all sounds very promising!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#1280 Post by Kevster »

Fat Jack wrote:Sorry to be posting so much, guys. Just saw this in the Pacific Business News: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... es-to.html

It says:

Mary Worrall, vice president of List Sotheby’s International Realty, declined to reveal to PBN the identity of the buyer. But a press release from her firm noted that the buyer is "a kamaaina with strong ties to Hawaii who appreciates the property’s rich heritage and seems intent on maintaining the estate as one parcel."

What doesn't make sense is, according to the Politico article, Nesbitt bought the property...he's not a Kama'aina. A Kama'aina is a longtime resident of Hawaii.

Anyway, Worrall goes on to say that Anderson, whose stepmother was the late Barbara Cox Anthony of the Cox Enterprises fortune, wanted to sell to a buyer who would keep the property mostly how it is and not make any major changes. Developers, who did show interest at first, weren’t in the running in the end.

BIG Time!
Trust Me!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1281 Post by KENJI »

Another interesting point is the selling price of $8.7 million when the last list price was $7.8 million.
There might've been a bidding war at the end between multiple parties.

ConchRepublican

#1282 Post by ConchRepublican »

Fat Jack wrote:Sorry to be posting so much, guys. Just saw this in the Pacific Business News: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... es-to.html

It says:

Don't apologize! We're your support group. :)

Thanks for all the info! :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Diandra
Captain

#1283 Post by Diandra »

ConchRepublican wrote:

It says:

Don't apologize! We're your support group. :)

Thanks for all the info! :magnum:

I second that. Thanks for all the info. Hope we find out a little more in
the weeks to come!

ConchRepublican

#1284 Post by ConchRepublican »

I still don't see the logic behind Pahonu being a former president's "retirement" home. As we saw in J. Digger Doyle, among others, it's not the most defensible position.

I'd think a president would have to take security into consideration.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#1285 Post by Lily »

On Maui right now and following all this closely. Has just been on the news tonight and no mention, (even rumor wise), re any Obama interest.

Really agree with Conch that the estate would not be the best place, security wise, for a former president. Having been there many times, the beach and tidal pool are easily accessable through a parking lot and I cannot see the law being changed to prohibit public on that stretch of beach, for as we know, all beaches in Hawaii are public.

Incredibly interesting to see exactly what is in store for the estate and as others have said....thank you Fat Jack for all the information you are providing!

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#1286 Post by Olivier »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1287 Post by KENJI »

Olivier wrote:The story from local newspaper : http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =296964731
Great photos attached with this article!!!!
Thanks Olivier!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1288 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:
Olivier wrote:The story from local newspaper : http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =296964731
Great photos attached with this article!!!!

Thanks Olivier!
I second that.

It's the "waiting game" again now. Waiting to see who the owner actually is, to see who (if anybody) moves in, to see what is done to the property, and waiting to see if the future will allow MPI fans anywhere near the place for any reason.

From the more recent articles posted, it looks like it's a friend of B.O. who bought it, but that could mean many things, again, the waiting game.

I had been in contact with CalHwy several weeks ago through pm's, and he claims to have been at the "bidding table" when the deal went down. He says he bid over the asking price, but ultimately, they went with another bid. Indicated there were more things at work to sway the sale than just money, but can't provide any further details about that. Haven't really heard much more from him since then, but he seemed to think the buildings will not survive the transaction, but the pictures in that last article make it look pretty good, and worth keeping, depending on who's looking, I guess.... :lol:

At any rate, I'm still watching closely and as anxious as everybody else to know what's to become of it from here on out. I'd still volunteer my services for upkeep and renovation! :magnum:

I see it has made the national broadcast news this morning, so it will be "in the spotlight" for as long as they determine there is "interest" by the public. I guess we're a much bigger group than we thought! :wink:

I suspect we'll know something before the next election....... :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1289 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Natural for many to speculate about Obama, given the connection with Nesbitt, but it seems pretty clear now that the dust has settled that Obama has nothing to do with it. The presidential connection made it irresistible to news hungry outlets!

Fingers crossed for a fab estate renovation. Thanks for all the sleuthing everyone - especially Fat Jack.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1290 Post by golfmobile »

Most of those pictures that are interior shots MUST be "concept" pictures/plans/designs. No way is the interior now like those modern interior designs????? But if that's what's going to be done to the inside . . . . . ugh! You lose all the historical footprint and architectural integrity with that (IMO!!!!!). Still it appears that the exterior has been painted, roof fixed (?), and some attempt to clean up all the exterior overgrowth of foliage.

Again, folks, JMO on interior!!! (don't want to get excoriated again).

golf
"Portside, buddy."