Funniest Laughing Scenes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

Funniest Laughing Scenes

#1 Post by 308GTS »

Before I start crying myself into a puddle I thought I'd lighten the mood somewhat. Which scene in the show has the funniest amount of laughter with Thomas & the gang?

For me it's this one. Season 2 episode "The woman on the beach" When I used to used to have it as a taped from TV episode we'd replay the scene over and over, now this is much easier with the DVD. Simply superb. If you can remember the laughter in the scene you'll know why I chose it.

Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

I'd have to agree 308GTS, that scene from "Woman On The Beach" is a good one. If I'm not mistaken, Magnum and TC were laughing at Rick as he announced that he had fallen in love...again. "When it's right, it's right." I think he had known her for 2 days or something like that. Then he calls as she is late for dinner, only to find out from her roommate that his new love has gone off to get married. Great scene.

I know there are many more, but two other scenes that crack me up involve Higgins. First, in the episode "China Doll" Mai Lin reveals to Higgins that she has hired Magnum to be her protector. Higgins launches into a big belly laugh. Rick does the same when Mai Lin tells him that she has hired Magnum to be her protector.

Second, is in the episode, "Beauty Knows No Pain" when Magnum calls Higgins from Honolulu Lulu's to ask him to have the Ferrari delivered, because it is difficult to investigate while riding on a bus. Higgins, again launches into a great big laugh. You don't see Higgins laugh like that very often. I guess that is why those scenes stick out in my mind. I think Higgins had a good laugh in "Paper War" also. Good topic 308GTS.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GTS »

I've yet to see Paper War but it sounds like being a good one judging by the quotes that James has included on the episode pages.
Arun
------

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

My favorite laughing scene is in Distant Relative. When Higgins' RC airplane crashes early in the episode, the explosion of laughter it elicits from Magnum is priceless. :lol:

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GTS »

That's a good one Shermy. The famous laugh in that scene is indeed priceless.

Just a side note. I wonder if Tom Selleck's laugh is like that now or was it something he developed for MPI? Either way it's a classic laugh.
Arun
------

Waltstasz
Admiral

#6 Post by Waltstasz »

It seems like the guys are always laughing at each other. I can't think of any scene where they are all laughing together at something else.

I like the part in Operation: Silent Night when Magnum and TC laugh at Higgins as his 'ZeusApollo II' sinks. :lol:
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

Higgiebaby
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Higgiebaby »

Paper war definitely, Higgins laughs like crazy, it's very funny.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

For me, it's gotta be the Carol Burnett/Tom Selleck, I mean Susan Johnson/Magnum, "Bank Vault" scene where they both start laughing uncontrollably for what seems like minutes! They both have such distinctive laughs. It's hilarious!

:D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#9 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:I mean Susan Johnson/Magnum, "Bank Vault" scene
I love the scene where Susan mentions the ventilation system and Magnum cries, "We're going to run out of air?!!!" :lol:

And of course, the kicker where Susan attempts to open the vault, but only succeeds in killing the lights...and then setting off the sprinkers.

Personally, I always thought Selleck had great comedic instincts and timing. I'm surprised he didn't have more success with his film career, but I guess he had just become too identified with the Magnum persona.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GTS »

Yes I'll second that regarding his comic timing and very likeable persona, shame then that Matthew McConaughey's gonna spoil that image forever.
Arun
------

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by 308GTS »

There's also a scene in 'The Elmo Ziller Story' where Magnum breaks out with that laugh. The scene where they first meet Lexi Ziller (the lovely Robin Dearden), I believe that Rick and T.C. are there too.

It's when she starts speaking in that southern drawl, Magnum breaks out with the laugh.
Arun
------

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Danno »

Hehe...

The scene that made me cry laughing was in The Man From Marseilles when Mags sings Misty... I still laugh thinking about it...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by grapeshot »

My favorite is the fit of laughter that overcomes Magnum and the ghost Mac on the beach near the end of "Mac is Back". After all those years of Magnum using Mac, and now there's a new Mac who uses Magnum instead, somehow that laughter between these two says everything they need to say to each other.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#14 Post by IslandHopper »

Another one to add to the list is at the end of the episode of "The Taking of Dick McWilliams" (Season 2), Magnum and TC are cracking up when Rick finally reveals that it was a nun (Sister Catharine) who gave him the black eye. "She was a big nun." :oops:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

Even though its not a "laughing" scene, per se...

The one scene I like is in "Tropical Madness" where Higgins is rehearsing for Jenny to show up "My dear, you look smashing, would you like some champagne?"

He's got that "I'm the MAN" look on his face, cigarette holder, smoking jacket, and then all of the sudden TC shows up "looking for his stuff" since Magnum is being kicked out.

Higgins get all flustered and annoyed, and when Jenny does show up, he goes to the door in and COMPLETELY blows it, and blurts everything out in one short burst, like a 13 yr old on their first date.

It kills me every time I see it, and TCs look on his face when he leaves and check out Jenny is PRICELESS.