Eve Glover Anderson

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eve Glover Anderson

#111 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I’ve got a bit more to add to the Eve thread...

Her father, James W. Glover, also owned a 3-acre farm up the coast in Hau'ula. Here’s a story from 2012 about the family who purchased the farm from Eve’s stepmother, Barbara Cox Anthony, after Eve's father died. Even though Eve & Reed were 19 & 21 when he died, I read that Barbara Cox Anthony took advantage of the "widow's dower", which gave her the option to take 1/3 of Eve & Reed's inheritance. Anyway, this article about the farm briefly mentions Eve’s father and his death: http://www.insideouthawaii.com/May-2012 ... M-TO-FORK/

I also found a great picture of Eve’s father after he won his election to the House of Representatives for the Territory in 1944. He’s the one in the back/right.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by KENJI »

Great work RG!
Thanks for sharing this interesting info with us.
The guy in the front seat looks a bit like The Hula Cop.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Great work RG!
Thanks for sharing this interesting info with us.
The guy in the front seat looks a bit like The Hula Cop.

http://www.territorialairwaves.com/inde ... =3&start=3

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I discovered some more interesting information about Eve. It turns out that Ormand E. Wall, the man who built Pahonu, is actually Eve’s step-grandfather. Without going into genealogical details, the quick summary is that her biological grandfather, Moses E. Grossman, passed away in 1921 (Eve’s mother was born in 1912) and Eve’s grandmother remarried Ormand E. Wall in 1926.

~RG
…and here’s a picture of Eve’s biological grandfather, Mose E. Grossman, circa 1896. As we’ve mentioned before, he was a Potentate (1904 & 1905) at the Aloha Temple next door to Pahonu.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by erock308 »

^ Wow, great moustache on that guy!
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Here's a glimpse into the life of Eve's mother, as well as a mention of their "country place" so I'm going to post this under the Pahonu thread as well as the Eve Anderson thread.

Eve's mother attended Lasell College (http://www.lasell.edu) just outside Boston, which at that time was an all girls school, and she started there at age 15. Upon graduation the excerpt below was printed in the school newspaper dated June 1932. Note that this is a year before the completion of Pahonu, so this leaves questions. Does this mean there was another house on their property while Pahonu was being built...or maybe their country home was somewhere else?...

"Best aloha," closes Eva Grossman's, ('27-
'29, '30-'31), recent report of herself to Mrs.
McDonald. "What am I doing? I can hear
you asking that question. Well, to be really
definite I truly couldn't say. As usual I am a
lady of leisure—attending meetings, parties,
etc. I am now in the throes of moving over to
our country place where we will spend the rest
of the summer as well as a few months before
it.
I have been asked to join the Junior League
here in Honolulu, so for the past weeks have
attended lectures as every provisional member
is wont to do. Our exam comes shortly so
then I shall become, an actual active member.
This summer am giving two hours a week
for social service work which should prove
intensely interesting. This, of course, counts
for hours for the League Member. Have
just taken up kindergarten work, nutrition,
etc., which all have been extremely interesting
work." Busy and happy seems to sum up
the informal note of this far away "old girl."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Here's Eve's mother in her first year at Lasell...she was ~15 here:

...and upon graduation:

A couple more items about Eve’s mother from her school paper. Her marriage announcement:

And sadly, her death announcement in the Lasell paper from the 1950's. The daughter’s name should have read “Eve” not “Eva” of course. Eve's mother was only 39 when she died:

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Danno »

Lordy... you should all be nominated as honorary private eyes.... the research going on here is incredible.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by Steve »

Danno wrote:Lordy... you should all be nominated as honorary private eyes.... the research going on here is incredible.

Agreed! RG and others are bringing it to a new level. I feel like I am Luther H Gillis using old gum shoe tactics going after "Artie Canoe" while they already bagged him, are home relaxing and finishing up the book on "How to be a World Class Investigator".........

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by KENJI »

Excellent work RG!
Now if we could just find a copy of the Honolulu Advertiser to see a few pics of their wedding.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#121 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Excellent work RG!
Now if we could just find a copy of the Honolulu Advertiser to see a few pics of their wedding.
I've been searching since I found this yesterday! :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:
Danno wrote:Lordy... you should all be nominated as honorary private eyes.... the research going on here is incredible.

Agreed! RG and others are bringing it to a new level. I feel like I am Luther H Gillis using old gum shoe tactics going after "Artie Canoe" while they already bagged him, are home relaxing and finishing up the book on "How to be a World Class Investigator".........
Thanks Danno & Steve! Now see, Susan Johnson isn’t such a bad private investigator after all!

This info is all trickling in as a result of our (Kenji and my) efforts to find out Pahonu history and who the heck MR. Anderson is!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Steve wrote:

Thanks Danno & Steve! Now see, Susan Johnson isn’t such a bad private investigator after all!

This info is all trickling in as a result of our (Kenji and my) efforts to find out Pahonu history and who the heck MR. Anderson is!!!
Well, this thread crashed & burned over two years ago, and so did I. After a rough couple years I've got some new-found free time on my hands and picked up the Mr. Anderson search, got lucky, and finally found our elusive Mr. Anderson of the Anderson Estate! :shock:

Back in 2014 I sent for a document from the Hawaii Bureau of Conveyances which was a mortgage release for Eve Glover Anderson and it turns out it had her husband's name on the document...John William Anderson, Jr.! So Kenji and I researched him and found that Eve went to high school (Punahou) with a "John (Johnny) Anderson" but he has been married to one of their classmates for decades, Patti Soule Anderson. Of course we figured Eve and Johnny could have married, divorced, and then he remarried their classmate Patti, but we had no proof...until now. I just found an oral history of John William Anderson Jr.'s family. It states that indeed, his first wife was Eve Glover and then he married Patti Soule. This is noted on pages 6 & 18 of the oral history:
https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/ ... _Plews.pdf

So, Mr. Anderson has been on Oahu all these years! Oddly and sadly, Mr. Anderson just passed away two weeks ago today:

http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2016/10 ... derson-jr/

Here are some fuzzy photos that I found. The first one is from a Punahou Reunion in 2001:

This one is from last year...sorry such poor quality:

And finally, this one is from June of this year, looking very frail...he's the one sitting behind the cash box:

It seems so simple now, but Kenji and I spent many, many hours trying to find him. We quickly discovered that John Anderson is of course quite a common name, and Eve being the private person that she is didn’t make it any easier. Anyway....mystery solved!!! :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Steve »

Bravo RG, you have done an amazing job!......... Now, can you figure out the back story on Milton "The Ripper" Collins............

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by KENJI »

Great work RG (aka Sherlock) and welcome back!!!!!
Looking forward to your future posts!

It was interesting to read that John was once president of the very exclusive Waialae C.C..
Check out these old pics of the club when famous people like Babe Ruth played there.......

http://www.waialaecc.com/the-clubhouse/ ... of-waialae

R.I.P. Mr. Anderson