GMC Jimmy

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

Re: GMC Jimmy

#16 Post by The Birdman »

TBOU wrote:
waverly2211 wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Guys, is this a GMC Blazer (full sized) or a GMC Jimmy?

("The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii", January 1981)

I've been calling it a Jimmy, but I've had a few people say it is a Blazer.

The Jimmy in MPI was 1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic Jimmy with part time 4 wheel drive, 350-CI engine rated at 175HP. The truck was purchased in California and shipped to the island. It was eventually sent back when it was replaced by the 83 Jimmy S-15.

Glen A Larson was also working on The Fall Guy and GM also furnished vehicles for that show.

The K5 Jimmy and K5 Blazer were the same vehicle in regards to frame and suspension. There were multiple engine packages available in 1980 with 1 diesel engine package.

The K5 Blazer eventually morphed into the Tahoe, the K5 Jimmy morphed into the Yukon.

The Jimmy came with a few more bells and whistles and was considered the more upscale vehicle.

Any idea of the trim package or who customized it?

I found a Chevy forum talking about it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=628946

Flipping around the TV today, it caught a couple minutes of a Magnum P.I. rerun that prominently showed a very cool 1980 GMC Jimmy. A little bit of googling, and it turns out it was featured in a couple of episodes that can be watched on Netflix.

Season 1 Episode 8 has the most Jimmy airtime, but Season 3 Episode 16 has some cool driving scenes. The Jimmy is clearly fully loaded. Some brief interior shots show it was an PW/PL rig with the speakers on the door panel. At first I thought it may have some Hickey accessories, but after some closer looks I think the push-bar and rear tire carrier were from other vendors. It did have a hidden winch, but more of the Ramsey style rather than Hickey.

The most interesting thing to me was the graphics package. I have never seen anything like it before, so I don't think it was factory. But very nice nonetheless, and would look good today without being over-the-top 70's like the Desert Fox package. It would even be fairly easy to replicate with today's vinyl tech - it seems to be simply overlaid on the factory brown/cream two-tone. I'd like to try something like this but with a mid-70's woodgrain.
But this 1980 GMC brochure has nothing like it:

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/GMTrucks ... 06_jpg.htm

What do you mean? What are you looking for in terms of package? I think it looks like somebody put on a 4" lift and 33x12.50-15 BFG ATs and a grill guard or push bar with 2 off-road lights. The paints probably stock. Back then they had some pretty cool 2 tone paint jobs. I had an '81 GMC with like a 3 color paint job, root beer brown with another brown and nutmeg on the sides. It was even metal flake. Funny now that I think about it, they don't put 2 tone paint jobs on factory vehicles any more.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Treadwell
Commander

#17 Post by Treadwell »

(This seemed to be the most recent dedicated thread on the car, but if board practice prefers not to bump older threads please let me know.)

I was just watching Kiss of the Sabre, where Thomas has to rent a car because Betty is using the Ferrari. I wondered why he didn't just use the Jimmy (other than creative license on part of the writers), but then couldn't recall the last time it had even appeared. Was it ever destroyed in-story, or did it just fade away out of the show?

TBOU
Lieutenant

#18 Post by TBOU »

It wasn’t destroyed that I remember but it was replaced with a later truck.

UtahMagnumFan
Lieutenant

#19 Post by UtahMagnumFan »

https://youtu.be/ltftp9oSGzo

Came across some pretty interesting information about the Magnum, P.I. GMC Jimmy/Blazer in this Knight Rider Historians video.