Magnum P.I. RPG

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Magnum P.I. RPG

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=5654
Skills: Acrobatics (Hard Target, Athletics): 05, Animal Handling (Riding): 04, Artist (Photographer, Saxophone, Writer): 03, Charisma (Persuasion): 04, Detective (Clue Analysis, Law, Legwork, Police Procedure): 06, Martial Artist: 04, Military Science (Danger Recognition, Tracking): 04, Scientist (Research): 04, Thief (Locks & Safes, Security Systems, Stealth): 05, Weaponry (Firearms, Heavy, Thrown): 05, Vehicles (Land, Sea): 04, Vehicles (Air): 02

Advantages: Area Knowledge (Hawaii), Credentials (Private Investigator), Expertise (Baseball), Familiarity (Bribing, Chess, Tailing/Shadowing, Scuba diving), Language (Vietnamese, some Hawaiian names and expressions), Luck, Rank (Navy Commander O-5, retired during the entire series until the final episode when he rejoined the Navy; he would likely later have also served in the Persian Gulf War and then finally retired after thirty years of service in the late 90s with the rank Captain O-6), Rich Friend (Robin Masters), Sharp Eye (Intuitive insights and dreams)

Connections: Theodore “T.C.” Calvin (High), Orville Richard “Rick” Wright (High), Jonathan Quayle Higgins III (High, originally None or Low), Private Detective Luther H. Gillis of St. Louis (Low), Lt. Yoshi Tanaka of the Honolulu P.D. (Low), Lt. ”Mac” MacReynolds of the U.S. Navy (Low; temporarily lost), Lt. (Cmd.) Maggie Poole of the U.S. Navy (Low), Assistant District Attorney Carol Baldwin (High), Doc Ibolt (Low)

Drawbacks: Debt (+1; to T.C., Rick, Higgins and others), Unluck

Equipment:

Lockpicks [BODY 02, Notes: The lock picks enables the use of the Locks & Safes subskill without penalties. Should he not be carrying this, he will instead open door locks using a credit card]

Magnum is sometimes, although rarely, armed with his weapon of choice, a Colt Government Model .45 ACP. He will carry a gun during any adventure if the Player succeeds at a Catastrophic Action Check (i.e. a dice roll of 18+) even if nothing was originally stated about the status of arms carried or not (failure still gives Magnum the option to “purchase” a gun in his pocket by altering the game environment using HPs)

Magnum also owns a rarely used bullet-proof vest, which is usually kept at home
:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Magnum P.I. RPG

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

What, no former-D&D-playing-Magnum-maniacs out there? ;)
He will carry a gun during any adventure if the Player succeeds at a Catastrophic Action Check (i.e. a dice roll of 18+) even if nothing was originally stated about the status of arms carried or not
The idea of playing a paper-n-pencil RPG with Magnum characters cracks me up! The things people create in the Magnum world never cease to amaze me.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:What, no former-D&D-playing-Magnum-maniacs out there? ;)
He will carry a gun during any adventure if the Player succeeds at a Catastrophic Action Check (i.e. a dice roll of 18+) even if nothing was originally stated about the status of arms carried or not
The idea of playing a paper-n-pencil RPG with Magnum characters cracks me up! The things people create in the Magnum world never cease to amaze me.
It was pretty interesting, kinda lost me with some of the stats though.. Lol!

I couldn't tell if they were all of the same ilk.. Or if I was trying to link it to Str/Dex/Int/Wis... Etc etc.

Whomever did that put a lot of time and effort into it!

1F409
Ensign

#4 Post by 1F409 »

There's a GURPS write-up of several Magnum characters, done by Hannes Þórisson in 2008. (I can't post the link because of new-user status, but the Steve Jackson Games forum topic is #38734) Þórisson's work is something I've considered in my own prospective GURPS attempt, though I might instead just ask him to contribute his write-ups for inclusion in a joint PDF adaptation of the franchise.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

1F409 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:28 pm There's a GURPS write-up of several Magnum characters, done by Hannes Þórisson in 2008. (I can't post the link because of new-user status, but the Steve Jackson Games forum topic is #38734) Þórisson's work is something I've considered in my own prospective GURPS attempt, though I might instead just ask him to contribute his write-ups for inclusion in a joint PDF adaptation of the franchise.
Okay, I’m going to bite the bullet and ask what GURPS is. I only recently learned what LARPing is from a colleague and this sounds oddly similar.

MikeS
Admiral

#6 Post by MikeS »

Generic Universal RolePlaying System -->> GURPS
MikeS

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

MikeS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:09 pm Generic Universal RolePlaying System -->> GURPS
Got it, thanks!

I’ve been listening to a podcast about The Rockford Files called Two Hundred a Day. It’s well done and the two hosts are both game creators so I’ve learned a few things from some of their offhand comments. I never heard them use that acronym though.

I’m not a gamer, roll playing, live action, or video so I have a lot to learn. I played a lot of sports when I was younger and later coached those kinds of games. :lol: Now I would describe myself as a fan of outdoor activities like sailing and kayaking and hiking.

1F409
Ensign

#8 Post by 1F409 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:18 pm
MikeS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:09 pm Generic Universal RolePlaying System -->> GURPS
Got it, thanks!

I’ve been listening to a podcast about The Rockford Files called Two Hundred a Day. It’s well done and the two hosts are both game creators so I’ve learned a few things from some of their offhand comments. I never heard them use that acronym though.

I’m not a gamer, roll playing, live action, or video so I have a lot to learn. I played a lot of sports when I was younger and later coached those kinds of games. :lol: Now I would describe myself as a fan of outdoor activities like sailing and kayaking and hiking.
Sorry it took me so long to check back. Thanks MikeS, for the save!

Yeah, role-playing games are basically a structured version of "make believe" -- a method of playing a character in a story (which sometimes follows a plot), but with a rule set to prevent the sterotypical "Nuh-uh! / Uh-huh!" arguments from childhood. ;)

I've been slowly pecking away, trying to adapt some 1980s settings for GURPS -- an index for which can be found at the top of my Gab page.