Renault Cars in Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

spacebiscuit
Ensign

Renault Cars in Magnum

#1 Post by spacebiscuit »

I was interested to see in the Episode "By It's Cover" [3,21] that a Renault car was featured. I was surprised since I was not aware that Renault ever launched in the States. Some research suggests that they did indeed try to capture the American market, albeit unsuccessfully. Anyway, in researching which model was used in this episode I came across this useful site:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_80240-Magnum,-PI.html

The above search shows the details of any cars featured in the Magnum P.I series. It shows that several Renault's have featured over many episodes, perhaps this was a sponsorship tie in as the number seems disproportionately high for a car that sold so badly in the US.

Overall an extensive list, very niche but of interest to some hopefully. Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on the forum.

Regards,

John.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Renault Cars in Magnum

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yep, the IMCDB is a car lovers dream!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by The Birdman »

Where are you from?
I grew up in SoCal and I recall seeing Renaults around when I was a kid. Probably early '80s.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#4 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

wooooooowwwwww this DB in simply Amazing.
Since I re-watched the episode "The Jororo Kill" (02x13) I was willing to post the pics of the FIAT 131 seen in that episode.
This is an italian car (yeahhh just like the Ferrari :lol: ) and of course I immediately recognized it cause my dad owned one when I was a kid.
I loved that car! (mine was white) :D

I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

My first car was a rusted out "Le Car" - known as the Renault 5 in Europe. The thing was a death trap, but cheap enough for a 16 year old to afford at the time!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.