Top 5 of Season 1

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgiebaby
Lieutenant Commander

Top 5 of Season 1

#1 Post by Higgiebaby »

My personal favorite was probably the first episode.

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

#2 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

J. Digger Doyle has to be my 1st season favorite. This episode has it all, sun, beaches, surfski, hot girl, action, generally good times to be had by all.

Least favorite--The ugliest dog in Hawaii. I know some people like it, but I've never been able to get into this one, although it has some cool scenery in the background.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

I have to put No Need to Know up top for me.

Going to have to agree with Tran Quoc on the ugliest dog in hawaii. The plot was ridiculous. Tatooing a Swiss Bank account number on a dog?

What if it died or something? Then you'd totally be screwed!

I will say this is probably the episode that saw the most use of the Jimmy, though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Greetings Higgiebaby. Welcome!

I'd have to go with the Pilot Movie, followed closely by J. "Digger" Doyle and The Black Orchid.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgiebaby
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by Higgiebaby »

Thank you James.My least favorite of the first season would have to be Adelaide it was kind of dull through the whole thing.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

My favorite is No Need To Know, followed closely by J. Digger Doyle.

Least favorite would probably be Adelaide as well. I really don't remember much about it, except Magnum just sitting there and lazily repeating, "Adelaide". Indeed.

Ugliest Dog may not be a highlight, but it does have that memorable scene with Magnum stumbling into the marijuana field.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Not to mention the sensible shoes comments!

Maybe its just me, but any episode with Magnum and horses doesn't seem to excite me (See Paniolo)... Actually, are there any other Magnum episode with horses?

:?

The marijuana field part was pretty good in U.D.I.H., but not enough to save it in my opinion.

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:... Actually, are there any other Magnum episodes with horses?
The only other one I can think of is that Harlequin Romance-like scene in Little Games (5.12), where Magnum and Krista (Jenny Agutter!) are riding horses together on the beach. If I remember correctly, Magnum is even riding a white horse. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

I can't pick just one, so I will do a Top 5 as we did with the other seasons. My Top 5 of Season 1 are:

1. Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii (1&2)
2. China Doll
3. No Need To Know
4. Missing In Action
5. Beauty Knows No Pain

My least favorite episode is "The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii."
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:Not to mention the sensible shoes comments!

Maybe its just me, but any episode with Magnum and horses doesn't seem to excite me (See Paniolo)... Actually, are there any other Magnum episode with horses?

:?

The marijuana field part was pretty good in U.D.I.H., but not enough to save it in my opinion.

:lol:
The episodes that I remember with horses other than "Paniolo" are:
1. Adelaide;
2. The Elmo Ziller Story;
3. Jororo Farewell (where the kid rides the horse as a decoy for Danny); &
4. Little Games (already mentioned by James J. Walters).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by grapeshot »

One way of looking at a list like this is to decide which episodes are an "artistic" sucess -- in terms of dramatic tension, good writing, acting, production values, etc.

Me? I'm much more shallow. I like the ones where Magnum looks sizzling hot. Preferably in his swim trunks, wet, or driving the Ferrari and wearing those cool shades. He looks awfully handsome in a uniform, too, so I add those appearances to my list. Also, if there's any scene with Magnum in a dinner jacket, well, that goes on the list, too.

These aren't in any special order:
  • Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii (Pt 1 and 2)
    These two episodes have it all.
    Magnum swims in from the sea, and wearing little more than swim trunks, steal the Ferrari. Then later on in the story, sneaks onto the base wearing his uniform. Heh.

No Need To Know
    Magnum in a dinner jacket, and even with jeans and shoes with no socks, he looks GREAT. There are also some beach scenes with one of the women guest stars that sizzle. Bonus: TC puts the dinner jacket on, too.

The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club
    Magnum in trunks, wet, and also in some scenes with his muscle shirt.

Adelaide
    Not much swimming or Ferrari's in this one, but he does wear cowboy boots and jeans, and drives a Jeep. (We take driving a Jeep for granted now, but back in 1980/81 when this show aired, it wasn't so common or cool to do that.) Magnum and TC look fantastic playing volleyball at the beginning and the end of the episode. I could watch that on a loop all day. And he wears his muscle shirt. Bonus: Rick and TC in top hats and morning suits.

Thicker Than Blood
    Great dock scene. There's something about a man wearing a muscle shirt and jeans and getting hot and sweaty while working that makes me want to bite my knuckles. Rowr!
Oh dear, I can just see all you other people on the forum wagging your finger at me, and decrying how shallow grapeshot is! I can only say in my defense that whatever else Magnum was about, it was also about eye candy. I was re-watching the two pilot episodes the other week, and it really struck me how much male (and female) skin (remember the two blonde flight attendants?) was on display, and I couldn't quite think of another show prior to Magnum that quite had this amount of both feminine and masculine pulchritude on display. One can think of shows such as Charlie's Angels, or The Dukes Of Hazard that featured hot babes, but I bet they weren't as interesting to most women as Magnum was. They certainly weren't even remotely interesting for me.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

My comment on grapeshot's above post.

A WHOLEHEARTED AND BIG "DITTO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is my shallowness showing????

Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

I like your style grapeshot!

Higgiebaby
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Higgiebaby »

This is very wierd when I did the subject it was called {Your favorite of Season 1} now it says {Top 5 of season 1} how did this happen?? :?:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

I just changed it, because some people were posting their Top 5 in here, and there was no 'Top 5 of Season 1' thread to coexist with the other 'Top 5' lists.