Magnum PI in HD on ITV4 on SKY in UK today

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

Magnum PI in HD on ITV4 on SKY in UK today

#1 Post by runawayselleck »

Magnum PI starts today with "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" in glorious HD! Follows Kojak in HD too, so you get to see Telly Savalas' shiny bald head and Selleck's moustache in glorious high definition.

Does this mean Magnum may come out in Blu Ray one day???

Runaway Selleck

mikeaz123
Commander

Re: Magnum PI in HD on ITV4 on SKY in UK today

#2 Post by mikeaz123 »

Hopefully someone will record these and possibly share them somehow! :magnum: I'll be interested to hear if they're simply upconverts from the DVD masters, and if they're possibly cropped to 1:78 to fill the frame.

mikeaz123
Commander

#3 Post by mikeaz123 »

Found some HD episodes of Kojak on usenet, they look like the real deal; HD, full frame (not cropped). Hope MAgnum receives the same treatment!

mikeaz123
Commander

#4 Post by mikeaz123 »

Found some HD rips of Magnum from a german group... the episodes look fantastic that I've seen so far, not cropped and not upconverted from SD masters. So here's hoping for a bluray release or a possible HD airing here in the States!

mikeaz123
Commander

#5 Post by mikeaz123 »

Any report from UK people? I emailed a friend of mine there and he said ITV4 is not HD, so it looks like the German broadcast is the only real hd source of the show

Louise
Captain

#6 Post by Louise »

Just wanted to clear up the confusion about ITV4/ITV4 HD:

ITV4 is available on freeview, but if you have cable you can choose to have the HD channels, including ITV4 HD. I only have Freeview at home but I'm house-sitting for a few days for friends who have cable, and this afternoon I got to see Three Minus Two in HD. It's not one of my favourite episodes but it looked great and there were more than enough gratuitous shots of TS in swim-shorts to keep me happy - forgive me for being shallow but Tom looks absolutely gorgeous in HD. :D :oops:

Oh, and there was a discussion on another thread somewhere about whether Larry and Roger wore lifts on their shoes - well, you can definitely see in this episode that Larry has quite chunky heels on his shoes, in the scenes where TC is taking photos of Rick at the club.

I got so excited when I realized that Did You See The Sunrise follows next and that I would get to see it in HD tomorrow and Thursday, but I checked tomorrow's schedule and they are showing Ki'i's Don't Lie. I'm OUTRAGED (in my best Higgins voice) that they're skipping Sunrise. I can understand why, as they obviously don't think it's suitable to be shown at 4pm, but they should have chosen a later time slot to show Magnum. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :x

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

#7 Post by Neil Peel »

Yes, Louise - this is really annoying. I've been recording the episodes and watching them when I can so I'm a bit behind where you are and I've just discovered that ITV4 has skipped episodes 3.1 and 3.2! Looks as if I'll have to buy the season on DVD after all. I saw the episodes when originally broadcast in the 80's but would like to see them again.
ITV4 also seems to be causing problems for the "series record" timer on my digital video recorder (DVR) - the programme guide treats the two daily broadcasts of MPI as two separate series and the programme start times keep changing unexpectedly - I'm having to check the DVR daily to ensure that the episodes are recorded correctly. But since I enjoy the series so much I shouldn't complain, should I?! :)

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Neil

Season 3 MPI is presently on ebay for approx. 17 Euro. You really should watch episodes 3/1 & 3/2 , "Did you see the sunrise" Parts 1 & 2. Two of the best of the whole series in my view. I am guessing ITV felt they were not suitable for day time viewing.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".