The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

#106 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:Flashback IV

And that, my friends is the fantastic story of the Case of the Hungarian Acrobats!
Outstanding!!! Excellent work Doc.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by 308GUY »

Good stuff! :D

Are you gonna let us come visit you after you move to tinsletown and are writing screenplays regular like? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#108 Post by Doc Ibold »

Foiled Again

Sometimes I wonder how someone with Higgins' extensive history can be so tight lipped about his past. Aside from Elmo (And even that was a monumental task getting him to even admit he had a half brother) and the occasional story from Sandhurst or tidbit about his education...it amazes me how little Magnum or I actually know about Higgins. Granted, he keeps busy with his charities, his work at the KKC and of course, the memoirs and the lads. But I think a certain part of him yearns for England every now and again.

One morning, I ran into Higgins at the mailbox staring at a letter. His expression gave a glimpse of near joy, but also terror. I asked him what he was doing out there and he uncharacteristically waved me off without a word. I decided to get to work on some shrubbery along the fence near the guesthouse. I ran into Magnum as he was leaving. He was wearing a blazer and was fumbling with a tie. It was a little funny to watch, as he's in his mid 30's and a graduate of the Naval Academy, yet struggles to tie a tie. He told me he had to appear in court and asked me for some assistance in tying a double Winslow. I had never heard of one, so I referred him to Higgins, which he seemed less than pleased about, but he strode toward the main house anyhow.

Magnum soon left the main house guffawing about a beanie. His tie was still untied, and he asked me for help with a double WINDSOR.. Which I gladly assisted with. He told me to find an excuse to go into the house and check on Higgins. Curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to enter and see what was going on. I saw Higgins looking rather peeved as he was turning a little beanie over and over in his hands while he looked at a fencing foil on the desk. He glared at me until I recognized the foil as a D'Linci. I had a roommate who had fenced in college and he got me into the sport for a short time. I'm by no means adept, but I do know a thing or two.

He related that he was invited to a tournament the next day. He also apologized that he was so rude earlier and said he was in shock over the letter he received. It turns out it was from a Velma Troubshaw, a woman who Higgins had feelings for, but ended up marrying a rival of his while he was away at war. He stated the last line with the venom barely concealed. He saw my look and said that she was actually in the islands and suggested they meet. He seemed apprehensive, but I told him he should just see her, if only to catch up on memories.

He took to the idea and then excused himself. The last I saw of him, he was leaving the estate in the Audi. I had hoped the husband was out of the picture, as he seemed incredibly happy. Even though Agatha adores him, I'm afraid it all seems a bit one sided. Maybe he'll have some luck with this Velma?

When he came home, he seemed quite determined with a set look on his face. He wouldn't say anything except if I had some spare wood to rig up a sparring partner for his fencing. It turned out that the husband, Willy, was still alive and would be facing Higgins in the tournament! He went upstairs dusted off the track suit he hadn't worn since his training kick with the Lady Ashley debacle. I knew it had to be serious. As a rule of thumb, Higgins does not exercise unless there is a British woman involved, save for Agatha, of course. If he had an extra foil, I would have offered to practice with him. But as it was, he spent the majority of the afternoon sweating in his track suit, methodically stabbing the dummy I rigged up for him. I hoped he had more than that single thrust, otherwise he would be toast as his footwork was horrible.

The next morning, I decided to take the morning off and try and see Higgins at the tournament at the club. It's not every day you see Jonathan Quayle Higgins III fighting for the affections of a woman. I couldn't get inside, but I saw Magnum running down the beach. I tried calling to him, but couldn't get his attention. I decided to toss a bikini top his way to get his attention, but he still didn't see me. I finally gave up as he stared off into the distance.

I couldn't get inside the club through the main entrance so I had to do some maneuvering through the club to get to the match. Luckily, Keoki let me in through the kitchen.

I did manage a point by the door that I could look in through after I chatted up the man who was inspecting the boxes. Higgins came afterward and went over them as well.

To my annoyance, Magnum sauntered into the tournament and no one hassled him! I WORK here and Im dressed in a blazer and slacks, and he's in a sweaty tank top and running shorts and has no problem wandering in.

As I took my spot, a balding hawk nosed man bumped into me and called me a twit. Before I could reply, he strolled off and started talking to Higgins. If that was Willy Troubshaw, I wanted Higgins to kill the guy.

I really should watch what I wish for because after a few touches, Higgins finally landed a point and electrocuted Troubshaw!

The next day, a truck came to the estate and Higgins included his foil as part of the donations. He was in a foul mood and insisted on doing some of the gardening himself. He claimed it was a territorial prerogative, but I think he wanted to get his mind of of things.. even with his injured hand. Magnum was helpful and offered to pick up some things for Higgins. When he returned, they got into an argument but seemed to patch things up. When I talked to Magnum, he admitted that Higgins was pretty shook up. He said he wanted to think it over and headed to the club to talk to Rick and TC. He asked if I would stay and watch Higgins in the meantime, which I agreed to do.

Higgins was having no part of it and decided he was going to visit Velma. He came back to the estate, and was shaken that Velma seemed to think he killed Willy. It wasn't long after that the police came and he was arrested! Magnum came back to ask me what happened. I told him he refused to stay and went to see Velma. After that the police came, and that was all I knew. He thanked me and left for the jail where Higgins was being held.

Magnum did some investigating and during that time, Higgins was released on bail. I decided to hang around that night when Magnum arrived. Before I could say anything. Higgins screamed from his bedroom and Magnum ran upstairs.

When he came back down, he seemed relieved that Higgins was going to call Mr. Masters attorneys. His friend Carol came by the next day and said that Velma said Higgins admitted to killing Willy! Higgins was in a rage and demanded to go and see Velma, even though Magnum and I tried to hold him back.

When Higgins returned, he said that Velma had claimed Higgins had killed Willy because she thought her son had killed him. Once it was established that Clarke hadn't, she recanted the statement. Magnums asked me if I had saw anything while I was at the tournament and I told him what little I saw. His eyes gleamed a little bit and he went to talk to Higgins. Soon after, he roared out in the Ferrari.

When he came back, Keeler, the man I saw looking at the scoring boxes was arrested. He killed Troubshaw so Willy couldn't sell the factory. It looked like the son would stay and take over, while Higgins and Velma shared a moment. I was glad that she didn't stay around, because I didn't want Higgins anywhere near a woman who would accuse him of murder. And the strangest part was, he didn't seem to care!

I guess after this past week, and looking back on the Lady Ashley incident, I DID deduce why Higgins was a bachelor after all these years. He only takes a fancy to crazy women who sell him out for other men! Agatha, Im afraid you don't stand a chance.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by 308GUY »

Bravo! (I still say we need an applause smiley!)

Very neat how you integrate Kenji into the story lines, leaves one with the feeling he should have played an active role during the series filming.

Nice work Doc! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#110 Post by Doc Ibold »

Mr. White Death:

Zest for life is always someone thing one should strive for. At the estate (and even at the club) you can easily find it if you look hard enough. Magnum has his sports and the tidal pool, along with his private investigation business (which at times seems more like a hobby to him), TC has his flying and his cultural and intellectual pursuits not to mention his community work. Rick is happiest when he's booking bets and hobnobbing with the guests at the KKc. Even Higgins has his zest, in his own way with his memoirs, committees and other varied pursuits. Not to mention his doting on the lads, which he characterizes as "honing their instinctive territorial nature". As for me, I just stick to my gardening and my football and let Kiki get me into whatever adventure strikes her at the moment.

So even though the estate is a nice microcosm of zest in its own right, it sometimes becomes a little routine in terms of things happening. Except for one Thomas Sullivan Magnum, who always seems to find a way to introduce a new nuance that livens things up around here (and manages to raise Higgins ire in the process).

This time was no different. Magnum had left for a night on the town with Rick and TC. I was going out for a night on the town with Kiki. She decided that she wanted to catch a movie and then head out for sushi. I'm not a huge fan, but a happy girlfriend is a happy Gardner!

To my surprise, Magnum entered the restaurant with a jolly looking older man with the build of a rhino. We were sitting in the corner so I don't think they noticed us. He and the gentleman were seated in the main section and were sharing a spirited conversation when the man started yelling out "Kill the foreigner!!!!" in Japanese which drew a few interested looks from the customers.

The night drew to a close and we left the two of them chatting away.

The next morning came, and as I started work, I saw the man from last night jumping rope on the bed where I planted the anthurium chezerum bulbs. Those cost a load of money and took forever to get to the estate, so I had to stop him quickly.

Unfortunately for the man, the lads and Higgins found him first. Magnum soon ran over and they were in the middle of an argument. I had a feeling that it was headed south quite quickly when the man pointed to Higgins crest. The mood changed dramatically as Higgins seemed to take a liking to him almost immediately. I'd have to ask him what he pointed out to make Higgins mood change so quickly.

Magnum then burst out laughing, much to Higgins consternation. The only thing I could make out was "Punky". Higgins and the man left towards the guest house. Apparently he was going to officially be a guest.

It turns out the man's name was Earl Cepikis and he was a professional wrestler. He was staying at the estate after he helped break up a fight at the club he was working at where he met Magnum, Rick and TC. He saw me working the grounds and asked me if there was any more "dirt" he should avoid. I thought that was very considerate of him and pointed out a few of the beds that were still a little gentle and other areas where he could work out as needed.

I had always been a professional wrestling fan and have always followed Curtis Iaukea, Peter Maivia, and even when Lou Thesz or Classie Freddie Blassie would come in. And of course, Lord James "Tally Ho" Blears. Magnum and I actually had the chance to meet Peter Maivia's family once, including his grandson. He was a fun little kid. Magnum was in the midst of one of his strange episodes when he was looking into space and doing his eyebrow wiggle when the grandson picked up on it. It's not an exact copy, but it does have a little something to it. I think he'll go onto great things.

I was surprised that Earl wasn't more disappointed that I didn't know of him professionally, but he seemed almost happy about it. The stories he could tell of his time in the ring could even rival Higgins' war stories!

Magnum soon left to go to the hall of records. When he came back, he was in as foul a mood as I have seen him... Ranting about a MZ. Jones and how rude she was. I thought that was interesting as Magnum usually has an easy time with the ladies. I let him know that Rick was waiting for him in the guest house (and sporting a swollen jaw!)

Magnum left again to find Earls son, and soon Higgins was busy moving him into the main house. He must REALLY like Earl.

TC came by as well, and they spent most of the afternoon practicing wrestling moves with Earl on the lawn. I was busy saving what I could of the bulbs and would have joined them if I could have. But, Higgins was eyeing me carefully and I knew if I didn't make this bed bloom, I was in for a rough couple of weeks.

Rick seemed a little hesitant to join in, but I figured that Earl wouldn't hurt him. Pretty soon, Rick was screaming in the middle of an airplane spin, from which he promptly fainted. Magnum arrived and joined in the fun. He and Earl had a short talk and then Earl went berserk! He locked Magnum into a choke hold and Magnum was going under quick. A lot of people say that pro wrestling is fake.. But it's more of a performance than anything. If you've ever been on the receiving end of a wrestling move (and the wrestler isn't scripting it), you are completely at their mercy and can be hurt if they want to.

TC and Rick came to Magnums aid, when TC was thrown off and Rick was knocked out. If anyone can manhandle TC, I want no part of them!

Earl fired Magnum and remarked that he was still alive. He stalked past me, and then apologized if he ruined any of the grounds. Earl then left the estate.

Higgins was in a foul mood after that and then strode over to the guest house. I'm not sure if he was going there to tend to the guys or to chew Magnum out. Higgins doesn't warm to people easily, but once he does, his loyalty is unwavering.

The guys soon left the guesthouse. It turns out that Earl was really Earl Gianelli, a boxer from the 50s who killed a high ranking member of the family. It also turned out he had a price on his head... One that had no time limit. Magnum was sure that someone had tipped them off that Earl was in the islands, and they had to get him out.

They didn't have a plan until I remembered that Earl told me he wrestled under a mask. TC was around the same build, if not a bit slimmer and younger. Maybe they could pull a switch and get Earl out?

They thought it was a great plan and Magnum, Rick and TC left to go "tie up some loose ends", and Higgins and I went on the road to go look for Earl so we could warn him.

At the end, it all turned out alright, Magnum ended up reuniting Earl and his son before they left. He also took to calling Higgins "Punky" for a short while, much to Higgins annoyance. I think he swung a deal because he stopped and soon had an unusual amount of estate privileges for the following weeks.
Last edited by Doc Ibold on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

ConchRepublican

#111 Post by ConchRepublican »

Could TM be behind The People's Eyebrow???

I can smeeeeeeell what the Doc is cookin and I like it! :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#112 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:Could TM be behind The People's Eyebrow???

I can smeeeeeeell what the Doc is cookin and I like it! :magnum:
Hahahahahahaha!

I'm glad you caught that little reference, Conch. I always like when you guys pick up on my little tidbits I throw in every now and again. Some are more obscure than others.

Unfortunately, it wasn't where I was going with that. I just wanted Kenji to have met 'lil Dwayne at some point. I wasn't sure that people would catch "Peter Maivia's grandson" and make the connection, so I had to throw the eyebrow line in there.

Oh heck, it's fun. Time to do a little edit!

:wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#113 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:I had always been a professional wrestling fan and have always followed Curtis Iaukea, Peter Maivia, and even when Lou Thesz or Classie Freddie Blassie would come in. Magnum and I actually had the chance to meet Peter Maivia's family once, including his grandson. He was a fun little kid. Magnum was in the midst of one of his strange episodes when he was looking into space and doing his eyebrow wiggle when the grandson picked up on it. It's not an exact copy, but it does have a little something to it. I think he'll go onto great things.
Love it! Curtis Iaukea, Peter Maivia! I may have missed it in one of the "Kenji Files", but please make sure you don't forget to work in Lord James "Tally Ho" Blears at some point. He appeared in a couple of episodes and is a wrestling legend, especially on the islands. ;)

Can't wait for "Mixed Doubles" coming up, Doc. That should be a riot! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#114 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:I had always been a professional wrestling fan and have always followed Curtis Iaukea, Peter Maivia, and even when Lou Thesz or Classie Freddie Blassie would come in. Magnum and I actually had the chance to meet Peter Maivia's family once, including his grandson. He was a fun little kid. Magnum was in the midst of one of his strange episodes when he was looking into space and doing his eyebrow wiggle when the grandson picked up on it. It's not an exact copy, but it does have a little something to it. I think he'll go onto great things.
Love it! Curtis Iaukea, Peter Maivia! I may have missed it in one of the "Kenji Files", but please make sure you don't forget to work in Lord James "Tally Ho" Blears at some point. He appeared in a couple of episodes and is a wrestling legend, especially on the islands. ;)

Can't wait for "Mixed Doubles" coming up, Doc. That should be a riot! :)
CRAP!!!! He was actually in that one. I had thought about him when I was writing it up, but when I was researching Hawaiian wrestlers (who actually wrestled in Hawaii), it totally slipped my mind.

Another edit is coming up!

ConchRepublican

#115 Post by ConchRepublican »

"Looking into space" ..... He's trying to find out who he is ...... :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#116 Post by Doc Ibold »

Mixed Doubles:

Kids and I have always had a good relationship. Whether it be with my nephew, or the members of TC's various teams that sometimes come to the estate, I enjoy their presence. It makes one feel young again and re-energized. Teenagers, on the other hand, I could stand to do without. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the surging of hormones and the mood swings that make the teenage years so strange and exciting for the one in question, but for the rest of the world, it's a time where we wish you had a fast forward button for all of the moodiness and over dramatic moments until they reach young adulthood.

Robin Masters had gotten it into his head to host a Pro-Am tournament and all sorts of pro players from the tour were coming into the islands to participate. Kiki, amongst other things, is a huge tennis fan so I asked Higgins if we could get some tickets to see the actual tournament. Higgins, who was in an unusually charitable mood agreed in exchange for me helping him with the tournament as needed.

Needless to say, everyone was getting in on the action as Higgins allowed the guys to play. Magnum and Rick were practicing nonstop at the estate. TC came by, but surprisingly wasn't playing. I guess ever since he got whiplash in the car accident with Floyd Llewellyn after playing with Magnum, tennis hasn't been his game.

I decided to watch for a little bit, wanting to see what Magnum was going to bring to the tournament when Higgins interrupted to critique the match. He also offered to coach the guys. Magnum declined, but Rick took him up on it. Higgins then went onto demonstrate a serve that incorporated some of the worst form I ever saw. Magnum flopped on the volley.. I THINK to make Higgins feel better about himself.

Either way, I came to the conclusion that the Am part of the competition were all horrible tennis players. Which was odd because Magnum is always trading for the tennis courts. It's obvious he's not practicing much.. So what does he do with them?

Regardless, after Magnum left the court he was fuming that he wasn't paired with Ginger Grant. Rick seemed to be pleased that he drew Zora Korcek. Carrie Reardon (Magnums new partner), is to be staying on the estate with us. At first I thought this would be interesting to have a celebrity so close to the estate (and be a treat for Kiki), but was I ever wrong.

Higgins decided that Magnum and I should go to the KKC courts where the tournament would be held to check things out. Magnum was to inquire about Carrie and the people harassing her and myself to check out the facilities and see where we were lacking. It was actually going to be easy because Kiki volunteered to help out. We arrived and met with Ronald Mills, the tour director. We exchanged greetings and left Magnum and Ronald to chat. As they rounded the bend, Kiki shivered and mentioned that she got a weird vibe from him like he was the type of guy who looked harmless enough but would keep a bunch of skulls in his basement.

I shrugged it off, and she quickly forgot about it and went off to inspect the locker rooms. I decided to head over to the courts to check out the professional part of the tour. Magnum was looking rather closely at Ginger Grant, which wasn't surprising seeing as he discussed how he knew Ginger from his days in the Navy. What WAS a little bit surprising was the way Ronald was looking at Carrie Reardon. Suddenly I followed where Kiki was coming from.

The volleys were slow and rather unimpressive, punctuated with screaming and tantrums from Carrie herself about witches. She went to meet Ronald and Magnum (who seemed rather unimpressed). There were more screams from Carrie and Magnum went to investigate. I had figured that screaming seemed to be Carries MO and decided to let him handle it.

We left for the estate, followed by Carries mother. Higgins, Magnum and the mother had an argument in the study and it didn't seem there was any love lost from any of them. Carries mother stormed out, so I decided to see what happened. Magnum and Higgins seemed resigned to their fate, but decided for the good of the tournament to press on with Carrie. I couldn't help but notice a Carrie Reardon doll in the trash can with a noose around its neck and the leg snapped off. I looked at the two of them quizzically.. But they assured me they didn't do it and it was found in Carries locker that afternoon.

Magnum and i left to go back to the club in the Ferrari. I actually had some work to do for my usual job at the club, plus it would be interesting to see Zora Korcek and Rick pair up. Of course they didn't get along at first.. But somehow Rick pulled off a move and scored a date!

I don't know how he did it, but I had to give it to him.

Tennis continued as usual. Magnum and Carrie were feuding, while Rick and Zora were bonding. I think it might have been a combination of Carries "abrasive" personality and Magnum still being peeved about not being paired with Ginger. TC and Higgins went at it, but soon seemed to come to an agreement.

Regarding the tournament, I have come to three unarguable conclusions:

1) Carrie lives up to her name, as she's a pain in the Reardon. I could use another term, but I'll take the high road
2) I don't believe a bra has entered the court at any time during these practice sessions.
3) Everyone in this tournament stinks. It's like they hired a bunch of actors to go out and play tennis for a few days!

And that's when everything turned south. Carrie threw one of her trademarked tantrums and Magnum (finally had enough). He decided to take her home, when I the squeal of a car in the front. It turned out someone had tried to run Carrie down. Magnum soon took off.

Carrie and her mother soon came to the estate where they took turns berating Higgins for his and Robins endorsement of Magnum for his abilities. They were wailing on and on about Carries well being. Carrie soon disappeared, and last I saw her, she was headed up the stairs to the guesthouse.

When he returned to the estate, Magnum was accosted by Higgins. I assume it was due to her nearly being run down. I do think the estate and the world might be better off without her. Granted, it's never a good thing to wish ill upon someone else.. But I challenge anyone to spend 5 minutes with Carrie Reardon and not feel the same way.

Magnum soon left and stalked towards the guesthouse. It occurred to me that I hadn't seen Carrie leave the guesthouse. I did know one thing... It wasn't going to end well. When I saw Higgins head there a short while later and the bellows emerging, I knew my suspicions were confirmed.

Magnum soon left and I didn't see him again until the actual Mixed Doubles competition. I heard from Higgins that Carrie and her entourage staged all the attacks. when I asked if Magnum was still going to play, TC appeared out of nowhere with an emphatic "yes". The two of them soon headed to the locker room.

Magnum and Carrie ended up having some better chemistry on the court than in real life. Which was a positive, seeing as the tennis was atrocious. The end of the match was never to occur, much to the annoyance of TC, as Ronald took Ginger hostage in the women's locker room for harassing Carrie. Turns out he never got the memo that it was all staged. But, it also didn't help that he was a little unhinged to begin with. Luckily the 6'4" Magnum was able to disarm the 5'3" Ronald.

Maybe I should listen to my girlfriends hunches more.

In the end, everything went back to normal, and best of all, Carrie Reardon was gone!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#117 Post by Doc Ibold »

Almost Home:

I often look back on Pearl Harbor as a watershed moment in Hawaiian history, simply for the fact that it interrupted Island time. Time in Hawaii flows differently than anywhere else I have been in the world. I suppose it's because there aren't any seasons here and the years and days seem to flow into each other. And throughout all of the explorers and people coming to and from, and many of the old ways dying out or adapting, Island time has remained steadfast. In my mind, Pearl Harbor is when everything changed here.. Both for my family and others.

Higgins and Agatha were busy putting together a commemorative float for the Anglo Polynesian Servants of the Sea gala that afternoon. I can't say I was particularly pleased to see it being constructed on the lawn, but seeing as it isn't my house, I really don't have any say as to the comings or goings on here. Besides, I look at it as job security. They wreck the grass, I put it back together again. It doesn't matter if its floats, or ballerinas, or triathlon training or even rampaging pro wrestlers... I'm generally stuck fixing the grass. But like Magnum, I need to count my blessings and smile.

Speaking of Magnum, he came out of the guesthouse in a fury when he heard all the racket. He and Higgins got into their usual argument over prerogatives vs. common courtesy. I sometimes think they argue like an old married couple. At that moment, a cab came through the gate to interrupt them. Agatha had asked if I could leave it open for more members of the society to arrive and help. Since Higgins usually lets her have the run of the estate with his blessing (unlike Magnum), I didn't worry about it.

A woman named Bridget Archer emerged and addressed Higgins as Magnum, much to his annoyance. She was sent by Lt. Poole after she was arrested. Magnum seemed to take it all in stride and suggested they go out for breakfast. Because, of course that's what you do with a woman who drives up and one of the first things she tells you was is that she was arrested by a friend of yours.

But, much like the mutilation of grass, I suppose that's job security for Magnum.

Magnum was gone for the majority of the day, but Rick and TC dropped off some lunch from the club for the members of the APSOS who were working furiously on the float (save for Higgins who was busy directing and photographing). I will say Agatha is handy with a saw. Rick was raving about Bridget and how he was in love, even though she toted an urn with her fathers ashes around. Higgins and TC rolled their eyes. Rick took me aside and told me some information on the Sixers game, but I would have to place my bet with someone else.

When Magnum arrived, Higgins had the party on in full force, and of course they got into their argument when the Admiral interrupted. It didn't seem to get any better until Agatha yelled that Higgins' buns were smoking. I'm going to chalk that one up to a double entendre on Agathas part. Even Higgins seemed to catch it. Even without Higgins, the admirals sunny disposition changed suddenly.

Magnum soon left for the club, and when he returned he was without the Ferrari. I asked him where the Ferrari was and he looked panicked and told me not to tell Higgins he put the Ferrari up as bait to track down someone called Vic Stout! I covered my ears for plausible deniability. A scratch he can get away with. Maybe even wrecking it. But deliberately letting it get stolen was almost suicide where Higgins was concerned. It wasn't my problem anymore once TC showed up and they left together.

The next time I saw Magnum was at the park for Admiral Wheelers ceremony. I was in charge of getting the float to the park, so I decided to bring Kiki along. The next thing I knew the admiral called the shore patrol to escort a man out of the ceremony.

So, being completely confused... I learned from Magnum that Bridget's father was a sailor who was court martialed for being AWOL on December 7th. He had passed away recently and wanted to be buried with his shipmates. Magnum and Bridget had tracked down what really happened, and the man who was escorted out was Vic Stout himself!

For a 40 year old mystery, Magnum did well! And Miles Archer was buried on the Arizona with his crew mates.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#118 Post by Doc Ibold »

Heal Thyself:

Easygoing is usually a word I would use to describe Magnums temperament. He generally doesn't get too far to either extreme and is usually in a good mood. I did learn recently for someone who has been shot or beat up numerous times, generally ending up in the hospital, he has a remarkable distaste for hearing about surgical procedures.

It all started down at the tidal pool where I was working with the privacy shrubbery. A small boy and his family were down at the tidal pool making a sand castle and generally enjoying themselves. Higgins is usually strict about letting anyone loiter there, as he calls it a private beach (despite all beaches in Hawaii being public property). Since he wasn't around I decided to let them stay for a little while. Magnum had arrived to take his morning dip and was chatting with the family as he stretched. They seemed to be under the impression that he owned the property, and he was doing nothing to dispel the notion. Soon Higgins and Agatha came down the path, and the ensuing conversation went something like this:

HIGGINS: "So you see, Agatha, I feel the best thing for you is to go ahead and get the surgery. We have many upcoming galas that I will need you for, and I simply cannot have you participate when you are in great pain"

AGATHA: "But Jonathan, is bunion surgery really the best thing? Wouldn't rest be a better course? I'd really prefer not to"

HIGGINS: "Nonsense, bunion surgery is a simple procedure. It may be as uncomplicated realigning the tissues or potentially even removing the bone entirely. Of course, one must take care to prevent any infections that may occur afterward and you may have some swelling. Not to mention the external pins, should your doctor recommend them"

MAGNUM: "Higgins! This is a terrible conversation!"

AGATHA: "And even worse of a thing to plan, Mr. Magnum"

HIGGINS: "Magnum, while unpleasant, this is the world we know"

MAGNUM: "There's nothing else you two can talk about?"

HIGGINS: "Magnum, of course this is nothing you would understand"

AGATHA: "I'm sorry, Mr. Magnum, this is a problem I should care to call my own"

HIGGINS: "Quite Magnum, it is all said and done now. I see by the greenish tinge you've had enough. Don't you have somewhere else to go?"

Magnum grimaces and starts his swim. The family is packing up, all except for the boy who is staring at Higgins intently. Higgins is about to open his mouth when the mother calls after the boy.

MOTHER: "Brendan, come on honey"

The boy soon leaves with a thoughtful look on his face.

Agatha soon left and Higgins returned to the main house. Magnum had returned to the guest house to dry off. Rick and TC soon arrived to start work on the lads new doghouse, in payment for holding a dance for the Children's Center on the estate. Luckily, I had the privacy shrubbery which "coincidentally" needed far more maintenance than I anticipated. Neither Rick nor TC seemed to be particularly enthused about the project when Magnum appeared reading a newspaper. He seemed extremely upset and soon left afterward.

I had stopped by the club later that afternoon and found Rick on the phone. It turned out that a nurse he knew from Vietnam was being brought up on murder charges and he needed Rick to check up on some things. I assumed this was why he left the estate in a hurry.

The next day, it was raining so I couldn't get back to work on the privacy shrubbery. I decided to write up some inventory I had been putting off and went to the main house. Higgins was busy preparing steak for the lads and had me wait for a little while. I happened to see the newspaper and decided to scan it while Higgins was otherwise occupied. That was when I saw the story in which Magnum supposedly quoted Dr. Harmon's mental state.

Magnum soon left, and Rick came by in his absence. He had some news for Magnum, but seeing as he wasn't there, decided to work on the doghouse. I tried to help as much as I could, but Higgins had finally gotten around to look at the inventory. Magnum came back, and I directed him to Rick.

The next day, TC and Rick were working furiously on the doghouse, which I assumed to be a long term effort. At some point Higgins walking stick got sawed. I suspect TC had something to do with it, based on the grin on his face. That was when Higgins informed Magnum that Dr. Harmon was arrested. Magnum, as he is won't to do, disappeared again.

The next day, Dr. Harmon came to see Magnum. Seeing as Magnum was out, I directed her to Higgins and the main house where they remained until she ended up leaving in an almost hysterical state. When Magnum returned, TC and Rick were still at work. Higgins related the story of Dr. Harmon's visit, and then Magnum and TC took off.

Rick had enough of the project once he saw Zeus lift his leg. Now I had to figure out what do do with a giant doghouse the lads would never use seeing as they generally slept in the house.

In closing, it turned out that one of Dr. Harmon's colleagues had systematically planned the murders so he could cover up the murder of his own wife. It seemed rather excessive, but the way Magnum explained it.. It did seem to make sense.

A side note to the doghouse. When the dance was held, many of the kids decided to climb up on top jump off. Apparently peg and leather (or Ricks dubious craftsmanship) couldn't hold up to the energies of adolescence, and Higgins had the materials donated to the children's center for new playground equipment.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#119 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Regarding the tournament, I have come to three unarguable conclusions:

1) Carrie lives up to her name, as she's a pain in the Reardon. I could use another term, but I'll take the high road
2) I don't believe a bra has entered the court at any time during these practice sessions.
3) Everyone in this tournament stinks. It's like they hired a bunch of actors to go out and play tennis for a few days!
LOL! So true, Doc, so true! :)
Doc Ibold wrote:The end of the match was never to occur, much to the annoyance of TC, as Ronald took Ginger hostage in the women's locker room for harassing Carrie. Turns out he never got the memo that it was all staged. But, it also didn't help that he was a little unhinged to begin with. Luckily the 6'4" Magnum was able to disarm the 5'3" Ronald.
:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#120 Post by Doc Ibold »

Of Sound Mind.

When things get a little too normal around the estate, I tend to get a little nervous. One would usually count their blessings that nothing has gone wrong, but it's those little pockets of sanity that poke my "Kenji sense" and to expect them unexpected, especially when it comes to Magnum.

I was outside plotting the future pathway between the main house and the potting shed. Mr. Masters decided to have one installed on a whim. I'm not exactly sure why he felt it was so important, considering we don't even have a paved driveway leading up to the estate. One would think that would be a foregone conclusion when you have an Audi and a Ferrari on the premises, but that's why this is Robin's Nest and not another estate on the island.

I was chatting with Magnum in the drizzle about the USC football game that aired this weekend as he showed off his saxophone he had just bought. He seems to have more than a passing interest in USC given that he prefers the Tigers and baseball, nor have I ever heard him speak about living in California. Then again, being in the Navy, I'd have to assume he was stationed in San Diego at some point or another. We were having a great conversation when a car pulled up and a man got out. He didn't seem to see us (Most people don't see me here, but that's another story entirely) but I commented that he looked like a lawyer.

The "law" part of the conversation barely escaped my lips when Magnum hurriedly excused himself and sprinted to the guesthouse. Soon after, what I can only assume was "music" drifted across the estate. I guess he thought by playing his sax, he could ward off the lawyer he must have assumed was coming for him. At some point, he really needs to learn how to pay his bills on time.

The man went to the main house and spoke with Higgins briefly and then they headed over to the guesthouse. Higgins entered first while the man paced on the lanai. Obviously he grew tired, as he burst into the guesthouse, ala Higgins. Soon after, Magnum and the lawyer left. Higgins seemed annoyed and was muttering about Mr. Masters telescope.

When Magnum returned, he was with a distinguished gentleman who introduced himself as Carleton, Magnums manservant. My jaw dropped, as Magnum winked at me. I didn't have anything else to say, and they left for the guesthouse. Higgins was still in a small thunderstorm of a mood when he asked who Magnums new guest was. I told him that it was Magnums manservant, and he scoffed. Nevertheless, he soon stalked over to the guesthouse. Not long after, TC and Rick came roaring up the driveway. They gave some hurried greetings and ran towards the guest house arguing about what Magnum should invest in.

Higgins soon left the guest house completely flabbergasted. He was muttering, "cru-el, cru-el, our Lord must be cru-el". Whatever this joke of Magnums was, it was certainly a doozy. I couldn't help but think it would bite him on the backside if he was pulling it on Rick, TC, Higgins and even me. All I knew was that Higgins would be infuriated that Magnum had the money to spend on an actor to play his butler and a saxophone, but not the telescope. And to top it all off, Magnum was embarking on his annual "Im moving out" exercise.

At the monthly meeting of OGLES that night Hiroshi Taka of the MacLeish estate had the story of the century, which is rare for Taka as he's usually pretty quiet and doesn't go for the gossip. I'm not a gossip myself, but it's good to hear what goes on around the island. Besides, half of what goes on at Robins Nest is almost too fantastic, so I'm sure no one would believe me anyhow. It turns out Wilson MacLeish had left the majority of his estate to Magnum, much to the chagrin of his relatives. Taka had done alright for himself as well, as he inherited the truck that MacLeish had purchased for him to undertake his duties around the estate, plus some money. I made a mental note to speak to Higgins about that, as I've had to use my van, which has seen better days, and I don't even get gas money. Sure, I get to use the Jimmy every now and again, but I have to barter like Magnum and help out gratis for one of Higgins committee functions or something of the ilk.

I couldn't believe it, Magnum really WAS a millionaire (50 times over). And it turned out that one of the prerequisites was that he had to live at the house and maintain all the normal functions, as I found out a few days later when I received a letter in the mail for myself and Kiki to join Magnum at the MacLeish estate masquerade ball that weekend! I decided to ask Higgins about the pickup truck discrepancy, which was a HUGE mistake, as he was still annoyed at Magnum becoming a millionaire overnight. I don't think he begrudges Magnum getting the money, but rather the sheer luck of the man. I have to admit he does have an inordinate amount of it as he made it through 3 tours of Vietnam, has been shot, beaten up, or nearly killed numerous times. He lives on an estate rent free and drives a Ferrari in exchange for doing security work that he never seems to be seen doing. And to top it all off he has beautiful women flinging themselves at him constantly. Yes, Magnum does have the life of Reilly.

But with that being said, Higgins went off on me and suggested that if my compensation wasn't adequate, my duties could be reassigned. I got the hint and smoothed things over with Higgins (I think), and ended up volunteering to help him get into his Henry VIII costume for the ball when the time came. But, even though things were smoothed over, I couldn't help but wonder if I should jump on the Rick and TC bandwagon and try to get myself hired on at the MacLeish estate in some capacity.

Kiki and I went to the party, where the majority of the time Rick was complaining about his girdle. I'm not sure why he decided to come as Marie Antoinette, but you can never be too sure with Rick. Higgins, as promised, came as Henry VIII, which made me wonder what he was doing all that time at the estate in costume as Kiki and I had gotten there an hour and a half before he did. Magnum was dressed up as a knight, in an actual suit of armor. I'm not sure how he got that over his cast.. But with everything else that was going on, I wasn't going to question it. At that point, I became convinced this was all a very weird, vivid dream. Magnum told me he had a dream once where he solved a case in the 1930s and it helped him solve one he was working on in the present. At the time, I nodded at him and smiled because I was pretty sure he had lost his mind, and that's the only thing I can think of doing to not provoke crazy people.

The party was a great success, except for a creepy Grim Reaper who kept looking down Kikis dress. I was about to get really irritated when he suddenly disappeared when Magnum went after him. Higgins soon joined him.

Magnum returned to the estate (as is always the case), as Wilson MacLeish apparently pulled the granddaddy of practical jokes on him. It turns out he was alive the whole time and wanted Magnum to find out who might want to kill him. I learned from Taka that Magnum and Carleton played a practical joke on MacLeish in which they pretended they were going to kill him, which they both took a great deal of pride in. Magnum didn't walk away empty handed though, as he negotiated an "injury settlement" with MacLeish for causing him to break his leg in his house. It was enough for Magnum to pay off Rick and TC for assorted debts, replace Mr. Masters telescope, and get his fee for the week or so he worked for MacLeish. And for me, I never brought up the pickup again with Higgins and am still gamefully employed at Robins Nest. Besides, in talking with Taka, his pickup is a piece of junk and he's responsible for the near constant repairs and maintenance (not to mention MacLeish took back possession anyway after his whole stunt was over).