The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too:

It's Christmas time at Robins Nest! Mr Masters treated himself to an early Christmas present, a new Gauguin! He also installed some new security measures which Mr. Higgins personally oversaw.

Mr. Magnum, as I'm getting used to has some guests. This time it is 5 little girls who's schoolteacher abandoned them during the holiday. I don't understand why a teacher would leave children alone.

I'm also surprised that Mr. Higgins (or Huggins, as they call him - much to to his displeasure) allowed them to stay on the estate. Mr. Magnum got caught in the wine cellar, so it must be the holiday spirit that let hm do it. I wonder that Mr. Magnum had to give up? On an unrelated note, Mr Higgins said that Mr. Magnum starches his undershorts! To each their own, I suppose.

The 5 little girls left and the estate is really empty! Which I like, because it allows me to get more work done. Given the traffic, I find there's more maintenance than I thought while taking this job.

One thing I did find was Mr. Masters Gauguin in the trash when I was getting rid of some dead palm fronds. This had to be a mistake! When Mr. Higgins, Magnum and the schoolteacher (who Mr. Magnum must have found) left in the Audi, I ran after them to return the painting but they didn't seem to see me. Two men in a car seemed to be following them, though!

Mr. Higgins came home furious with Mr. Magnum and Mr. Calvin in particular. He seemed incredibly worked up about their outrageous behavior that I though he was going to have a stroke. I decided to teach him a method my grandfather taught me about using 3 power words (of his choice) to release tension and promote relaxation. You can emphasize any or all of the 3 words to release the anger. I hope he uses it, as I'm worried about him being so agitated

Although its a bit crazy here at Robins Nest, I enjoy it. Sometimes I feel like I'm invisible working here, though.
Last edited by Doc Ibold on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'll be very impressed if you make it through every episode Doc! Does anybody know what actor played Kenji in the few scenes that we actually see him?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

Good work Doc! Are you re-watching each episode before posting the diary entry?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

I generally have an idea in my head before I start each one. One liners and things like that that I write down

I did the Pilot straight from memory. The other two I did from an outline and then a fast forward through the episodes to catch anything I missed, or anything that may be fun to add. (And will probably continue with that). Of course, the episode guides from James help too!

I'm trying to straddle firsthand knowledge from Kenji vs. other major plot themes. I'll introduce a semi workaround in Curse of The KKC. Obviously, he can't be included in everything pertaining to an episode. I also like for him to subtly point out little continuity flubs here and there. The missing hard top from the Pilot, Six Million Dollar Man Music and Higgins, Tai Chi Master from China Doll.

I also have to rein myself back from getting a little TOO out there.

For instance in "Thank Heaven", I was going to write. "Mr. Higgins came home furious with Mr. Magnum and Mr. Calvin in particular. He seemed incredibly worked up about their outrageous behavior that I though he was going to have a stroke. I decided to teach him a method my grandfather taught me about using 3 power words (of his choice) to release tension and promote relaxation. You can emphasize any or all of the 3 words to release the anger. I hope he uses it, as I'm worried about him being so agitated"

I.e. Kenji teaching Higgins to use Oh My God whenever he experiences anger or frustration, as I don't believe he had ever busted it out yet up to this point. (I could be completely wrong on this, but the "Outrageous" definitely made is first and final appearance.) Either way, I thought that would be stretching it a little bit.

Glad to see people are enjoying it. It doesn't take altogether that long to do a write up, and some will be noticeably longer than others. I'm really looking forward to doing Beauty Know No Pain. I've got some good ones for that.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by KENJI »

I love the 3 words paragraph....not out there at all...it ties in the smaller bits of the show that we all recognize and appreciate.....well done!
Like you said (or Kenji said) those three words can be used many different way depending on the level of tension.....Oh....Oh my.......My God....God and everyone's favourite....OH MY GOD. Excellent work Doc!

ConchRepublican

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:I generally have an idea in my head before I start each one. One liners and things like that that I write down

I did the Pilot straight from memory. The other two I did from an outline and then a fast forward through the episodes to catch anything I missed, or anything that may be fun to add. (And will probably continue with that). Of course, the episode guides from James help too!

I'm trying to straddle firsthand knowledge from Kenji vs. other major plot themes. I'll introduce a semi workaround in Curse of The KKC. Obviously, he can't be included in everything pertaining to an episode. I also like for him to subtly point out little continuity flubs here and there. The missing hard top from the Pilot, Six Million Dollar Man Music and Higgins, Tai Chi Master from China Doll.

I also have to rein myself back from getting a little TOO out there.

For instance in "Thank Heaven", I was going to write. "Mr. Higgins came home furious with Mr. Magnum and Mr. Calvin in particular. He seemed incredibly worked up about their outrageous behavior that I though he was going to have a stroke. I decided to teach him a method my grandfather taught me about using 3 power words (of his choice) to release tension and promote relaxation. You can emphasize any or all of the 3 words to release the anger. I hope he uses it, as I'm worried about him being so agitated"

I.e. Kenji teaching Higgins to use Oh My God whenever he experiences anger or frustration, as I don't believe he had ever busted it out yet up to this point. (I could be completely wrong on this, but the "Outrageous" definitely made is first and final appearance.) Either way, I thought that would be stretching it a little bit.

Glad to see people are enjoying it. It doesn't take altogether that long to do a write up, and some will be noticeably longer than others. I'm really looking forward to doing Beauty Know No Pain. I've got some good ones for that.
'

I love the "Kenji behind the scenes" aspect. What if HE is responsible for some continuity flubs?

Very cool so far!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#22 Post by Doc Ibold »

Great minds, Conch, Great minds!

:wink:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#23 Post by Doc Ibold »

No Need To Know:

It has been a very strange few days here at the estate. It all started off when Mr. Higgins of all people has some guests staying at the estate. And frankly while Mr. Magnums guest border on the bizarre, Tis has been he strangest group yet. They appear to be soldiers but when i ask anything about them as all I am told is that I have "no need to know". Mr Higgins seems very friendly with one of them at least and calls him Brigadier General Ffolkes.

Even though I have "no need to know", they did feel the need to submit me to a body cavity search when I came into work - every day. Even worse, they made me throw out all my fertilizer and a lot of other materials as well. Since I purchase the materials as needed, and Mr. Higgins reimburses me, I made sure he was aware that they made me do it. He seemed unconcerned and gave me the money to cover what the soldiers took and enough to buy some more for the next week as he went about changing up the security system and all the locks. I thought that was Mr. Magnums job?

In Mr. Magnums absence, Mr. Higgins has moved two stewardesses into the guest house. One is very nice, while the other seems to complain all the time. The soldiers seem to be lurking around the guest house.

Mr. Magnum came home unexpectedly, and as usual, the dogs chased him. I was at the other end of the estate and had no time to warn him to the presence of the soldiers. In hindsight, If I HAD done that, I'd probably be subjected to another body search.

The nice stewardess, Mandy, seems very taken with Mr. Magnum as well as Mr. Masters Audi. I don't know why she would like that better than the Ferrari. They were having a nice conversation on the beach when Mr. Higgins interrupted and began to yell to yell at a man taking pictures on a catamaran about the tidal pool being a private beach. I'm sure Mr. Higgins knows that isn't the case for any beach in Hawaii as he knows just about everything. But he seems tense, so I won't correct him.

There was a dinner party that night. Mr. Magnum came dressed very strangely. A white dinner jacket that didn't seem to fit him and jeans. He definitely made an interesting fashion statement. Everything seemed to be going nicely until after the party when the Mandy and Suzie (the complainer) took a midnight swim. All of the sudden, the soldiers began opening fire! Luckily Mr. Magnum and Mandy ducked behind the stone outcropping and weren't hurt. Unfortunately, a man in a wetsuit wasn't so lucky. I don't think Mr. Magnums dinner jacket was too lucky either. Two other men who Mr. Magnum seemed to know came to the estate. One thing of note, Mr. Higgins did seem to be concerned about Mr. Magnum which seemed uncharacteristic of him.

The next morning Mandy took another swim, as did Mr. Magnum. Both of them seemed to be looking for something. I guess the tidal pool makes three of the things about Robins Nest that she really enjoys. Or maybe its just because Mr. Magnum is there.

The Brigadier General and his soldiers seem to be leaving today, which is fine by me. Mr. Higgins was to drive them to the airport. And that's where an already strange situation got even worse. After they left, Mandy ended up pulling a gun on Mr. Magnum and was then shot by the soldiers! Mr. Magnum then sped away. When he returned, with Mr. Higgins, they told me the Audi had been blown up! Mr.Masters won't enjoy that. Mr. Wright came by later that day to cheer Mr. Magnum up. I saw Mr. Calvin being chased by the lads on the way to the guest house. The last I saw of any of them was Mr. Calvin chasing Mr. Magnum across the estate for some reason... But by then, the lads had joined in as well.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

Skin Deep:

It's another interesting day at Robins Nest. Mr. Higgins was skeet shooting and arguing with Mr. magnum who was clad only in his underwear as I was leaving the estate for the day. Normally, that would be nothing out of the ordinary.

But at Robins Nest, I've learned nothing is as it seems. He was having the lads load and launch the clay pigeons. I can't believe I just wrote that, but I did.

Other than that, It's been relatively quiet here at the estate. I haven't seen Mr. Magnum for awhile, and the only thing out of the ordinary was Mr. Higgins testing a shotgun on some outlines at different distances. I'm hoping he'll pick up the buckshot, but I have a feeling Ill be picking up some strays by myself.

Update: Mr. Magnum has returned, and with a bullet wound in his leg. He claims he's going to play in a volleyball tournament with Mr. Calvin. I'm not sure that's the best idea. I'm also wondering if Mr. Magnum should just stay on the estate, because whenever he disappears for a length of time, he tends to get shot. This is the third time since I've started working here. Im scared to see what his insurance bills are.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

Never Again, Never Again.

Since my estate duties are pretty much caught up, Mr. Higgins has asked me to go with him to the King Kamehameha club as a personal favor to Robin Masters. It seems that since Mr. Wright has taken over the club, the revenue has increased and Mr. Master and Mr. Higgins want to hire me there in an advisory capacity to the grounds crew there since I've done such a good job at the estate. Of course Ill still have my job at Robins Nest, but some extra money never hurt.

I have learned that Mr. Calvin and Mr. Magnum spend a lot of time there. I wonder how they manage to get any work done? Apparently Mr. Magnum doesn't have the luck at the club as he does at the estate, because when I got there, I saw a woman slap him! Mr. Higgins chuckled and took me back to introduce the crew.

Later that night Mr. Magnum brought a nice old woman to the house when I came back from the club. I believe he and Mr. Higgins are having her over for dinner. She certainly isnt anything like most of Mr. Magnums guests! later that night, I ran into Mr. Magnum as I was leaving. He asked how it went at the club, and he and I briefly discussed my plans. He seemed a bit distracted, so I let him go.

The next morning when I came to the estate, it was surrounded by crime scene tape. Mr. Magnum was there and he told me that someone had broken into the estate and shot Mr. Higgins with a tranquilizer dart! No one seems to know what happened to the old woman. He left to see Mr. Higgins at the hospital.

When Mr. Magnum and Mr. Higgins returned to the estate, he seemed almost to be in a daze and walked off to the tidal pool. Mr. Higgins soon joined him and it seemed like they were having a heartfelt conversation. But soon enough, Mr. Higgins was bellowing at Mr. Magnum. I guess some things never change!

ConchRepublican

#26 Post by ConchRepublican »

:D
CoziTV Superfan spot

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Braddah Kimo »

This Kenji "seems to be" one nosy lil phukker.
"I wonder how he manages to get any work done? "

" Someone could have stolen it!" Must be new here. No one insults our neighborhood or would say that about Nalo town

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Ibold wrote:Never Again, Never Again.

Since my estate duties are pretty much caught up, Mr. Higgins has asked me to go with him to the King Kamehameha club as a personal favor to Robin Masters. It seems that since Mr. Wright has taken over the club, the revenue has increased and Mr. Master and Mr. Higgins want to hire me there in an advisory capacity to the grounds crew there since I've done such a good job at the estate. Of course Ill still have my job at Robins Nest, but some extra money never hurt.

I have learned that Mr. Calvin and Mr. Magnum spend a lot of time there. I wonder how they manage to get any work done? Apparently Mr. Magnum doesn't have the luck at the club as he does at the estate, because when I got there, I saw a woman slap him! Mr. Higgins chuckled and took me back to introduce the crew.

Later that night Mr. Magnum brought a nice old woman to the house when I came back from the club. I believe he and Mr. Higgins are having her over for dinner. She certainly isnt anything like most of Mr. Magnums guests! later that night, I ran into Mr. Magnum as I was leaving. He asked how it went at the club, and he and I briefly discussed my plans. He seemed a bit distracted, so I let him go.

The next morning when I came to the estate, it was surrounded by crime scene tape. Mr. Magnum was there and he told me that someone had broken into the estate and shot Mr. Higgins with a tranquilizer dart! No one seems to know what happened to the old woman. He left to see Mr. Higgins at the hospital.

When Mr. Magnum and Mr. Higgins returned to the estate, he seemed almost to be in a daze and walked off to the tidal pool. Mr. Higgins soon joined him and it seemed like they were having a heartfelt conversation. But soon enough, Mr. Higgins was bellowing at Mr. Magnum. I guess some things never change!
Another good one Doc. Keep 'em coming!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#29 Post by Doc Ibold »

The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii:

Mrs. Marsden, A member of the KKC stopped by the estate today. Mr. Higgins tells me that Mr. Magnum is to do some investigating for a both her and a Sir Algernon Farnsworth. In addition, Jimmy Connors and Bjorn Borg are staying at the estate too! I try to stay out of the guests affairs, but I decided to see if there were any plants that I may need to repot due to allergies. Mr. Magnum told me not to worry about it, as Sir Algernon.. Or Algie as he referred to him, was a dog. Mr. Magnum must be pretty good at what he does to be so informal and even call his client a dog!

I have to admit, I kept my gardening duties as close as possible to the tennis court as Mr. Magnum was playing with Mr. Connors and Mr. Borg.

The next morning, I will admit I was a little annoyed at Mr. Magnum. Apparently he wasn't being informal at all. Sir Algernon Farnsworth is in fact.. A dog! Mr. Calvin and some of his youth baseball team stopped by at the estate to set up a dog run right in the middle of the grass that I had just replanted! Mr. Higgins seemed to share my annoyance, and even began shouting at Mr. Magnum.

They brought a lady from animal regulations to supervise the quarantine. One thing that seems odd is that she seemed petrified of the lads, even though they were patrolling the other side of the estate. I wonder if shes afraid of dogs? I think she picked the wrong profession. Almost if I had hay fever and was a Gardner. Higgins did get some measure of revenge though, as he took the Ferrari out and left Mr. magnum with the Jimmy. I didn't get a chance to clean it out from my last run to the greenhouse, but Mr. Magnum didn't seem to care. It's not terrible, as sometimes you see the dirt and other times it looks brand new!

Mr. Magnum, the lady and Algie came back to the estate along with Mr. Calvin in his helicopter. I do believe its a first, as Mr. Magnum left the estate and didn't come back shot! Mr. Calvin's, or as he told me to call him.. TC, chopper wasn't so lucky. He wasn't happy about it, but seemed in a decent mood as he kept talking about how he found the perfect place to base Island Hoppers. Mr. Wright stopped by in a pool truck, and Mr. Higgins and the lads got in the back. Mr. Higgins sent me to a banana patch to pick up the Jimmy where Mr. Magnum left it. That was a scene in and of itself as when I got there, the HPD was there and I was nearly arrested for growing marijuana!

When I got back to the estate after being interrogated, I found Mr. Higgins talking to the lads who were locked in Algies dog run. It seems Algie will be staying with us for a while until his quarantine ends and he has the run of the estate!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#30 Post by Doc Ibold »

Missing In Action:

I stopped by the KKC to check on inventory and it looks like Mr. Wright hired a new singer, a Miss Laura Frasier. She has a lovely voice, and is quite attractive, but she seems to be a little bit off. She sings, then pauses and stares off into space.

When I got back to the estate, Mr. Magnum had arrived with.....Miss Laura Frasier. Maybe I should switch professions. I can see my office door now... Kenji, P.I.! Or, I should just take my experiences to Hollywood and have them make a show about what goes on here at the estate! Eh, it'll never work. Even I don't believe the things that go on here sometimes. I mean, take what happened later on that day! Mr. Higgins, Mr, Magnum and Miss Frasier went to the guest house to try and explain her trances through hypnosis!

On another note, Mr. Higgins told me Mr. Magnum is getting the Ferrari serviced the next time it needs maintenance. I didn't want to get Mr. Magnum in trouble, but I heard from some of the people at the club that the last few times Mr. Magnum arrived in the Ferrari and it was running horribly and belching out smoke. I found it odd because he seemed to be using the Audi more than usual (and wearing his naval uniform!)

Either way, he should probably get that checked out by a authorized mechanic sooner rather than later. I mean, everyone knows if you have just anyone do it, it voids the warranty and you are responsible for the cost of any and all repairs and maintenance after that. I like Mr. Magnum, but sometimes his desire to save a few dollars lands him in trouble. I should try and stop him the next time I see him and recommend a friend of mine who works on exotic cars. I can probably get him a deal.

Mr. Magnum got the Ferrari fixed, as the last time I saw him, he and Mr. Calvin drove the Ferrari up and it was running perfectly! Shortly afterward though, Mr. Higgins seemed to be in a fabulous mood, while Mr. Magnum looks like he was punched in the stomach.