Insignificant recurring details...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Insignificant recurring details...

#1 Post by Stelth »

Have you ever noticed that many times when Magnum is in a hospital or police station he buys coffee from a vending machine and gets it in a cup that has a playing cards design? Kinda like this:
http://www.roundeyesupply.com/Poker-Dra ... 290474.htm

Have you noticed any insignificant recurring details like that? If so, do tell.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Insignificant recurring details...

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

I've noticed when he talks to generic police officers or security guards, they tend to have animal names. Bear or Walrus and another one. Ones definitely in Computer Date

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Stelth »

Doc Ibold wrote:I've noticed when he talks to generic police officers or security guards, they tend to have animal names. Bear or Walrus and another one. Ones definitely in Computer Date
Interesting. I'll have to look for that.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Reef monkey »

I remember when those playing card cups were ubiquitous in old style coffee vending machines. Even though I graduated high school in 1994, I also remember that at least my freshman year my school didn't have coke (the generic term for soda pop down here) vending machines that dispensed cans. Instead, a wax paper cup dropped down, ice was dumped in, and then the drink was dispensed. I remember those wax paper cups too, there were only about 2 or 3 designs everywhere you went, really abstract 70s looking designs. And the red and white coca cola cups, too.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

1) Whenever Magnum or Higgins or Rick or T.C. is in a crowded place (a bar, a restaurant, whatever) the people around them don't seem to make a sound, even when their mouths are moving.

2) Whenever Magnum or Higgins or Rick or T.C. is out and about on the street, the same people seem to walk past them over and over again in the background. It seems that most people in Honolulu are perpetually lost.

3) Magnum never wears a seatbelt (even when in full on chase mode). Well, he did that one time in Season Six, but then he immediately went back to not wearing it again.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Stelth »

Thomas seems to prefer Puma....I've seen him in Puma sneakers and in "A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken" he had a pair of Puma cleats lying on the floor in his bedroom.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Another thing is the Island Hoppers van appearing in random places where TC isn't (Nor is it being borrowed) A good example is the bar in Rapture (and several others). It usually happens in the later seasons.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

It's never high tide on the tidal pool.........

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Danno »

Magnum originally sports Lacoste shirts.
He then swaps forevermore to Polo Ralph Lauren.
...however when he's in the queue at the police station (I forget which season) and meets that 'alternative Magnum' (I forget his name right now) the alternative Mags is wearing Lacoste.

I imagine the alternative Magnum may drive a Porsche as well.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by No need to know! »

J.J. Walters wrote:1) Whenever Magnum or Higgins or Rick or T.C. is in a crowded place (a bar, a restaurant, whatever) the people around them don't seem to make a sound, even when their mouths are moving.

2) Whenever Magnum or Higgins or Rick or T.C. is out and about on the street, the same people seem to walk past them over and over again in the background. It seems that most people in Honolulu are perpetually lost.

3) Magnum never wears a seatbelt (even when in full on chase mode). Well, he did that one time in Season Six, but then he immediately went back to not wearing it again.

The second one is spot on. :lol:
Onion´s extra?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote: 3) Magnum never wears a seatbelt (even when in full on chase mode). Well, he did that one time in Season Six, but then he immediately went back to not wearing it again.
You mean in Photo Play when he tries, but it's broken?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Way of the Stalking Horse"

He just looks uncomfortable wearing it, doesn't he. :magnum:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:"Way of the Stalking Horse"

Is that before or after he got shot? Seems weird he would do it then. Or alternatively, if its prior.. Probably why he did it once and never again

:magnum:

Rosebud
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Rosebud »

Doc Ibold wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:"Way of the Stalking Horse"

Is that before or after he got shot? Seems weird he would do it then. Or alternatively, if its prior.. Probably why he did it once and never again

:magnum:
If I remember correctly, it's gone seconds later, in the same scene!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

You know, with the number of times TM has been shot in the shoulder (mostly the left shoulder if I'm not mistaken), it probably hurts to wear the seat belt. Around the time of "Way of the Stalking Horse" (1986) more and more people started wearing seat belts, so he probably thought to give it a try (if only to stop Higgins from nagging him about it), but then soon after ripped it off in discomfort and pain! Crazily, not too long after this scene, TM is (again) shot in the left shoulder (collarbone)! After that, I'm sure he never wore one again. :)