Behind the scenes?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

Behind the scenes?

#1 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

Does anyone out there have any "behind the scenes" pictures or information from the filming of the series? For instance pics of the film studio or information about the actors relationships off the set?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Try going to Larry Manetti's website @ larrymanetti.com. He has a photo gallery with several pictures from Magnum P.I. Larry Manetti also wrote a book called "Aloha Magnum." In the book, he talks about relationships with the cast, among other things Magnum P.I. I believe this book was first published in 1999, and is currently out of print, but you should be able to find a copy on ebay or amazon. Hope this helps.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Tran Quoc. welcome!

Yeah, Larry's book is the best resource out there for "behind the scenes" anecdotes of the show. A great read.

Magnum Memorabilia has some good info about the film studios that were used - link.

The E! True Hollywood Story - Magnum P.I. mini-doc was pretty good, too. I really hope they include this with the Season Eight DVD!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

#4 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

Thanks! I have seen these sites, but they are still pretty cool. Here is a link from Marco's Magnum page, the site is in German which makes for some boring reading, but the pics are pretty cool:

http://www.magnum-pi.de/magnumsworld_be ... scenes.php

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Miss Q »

I have always found it a bit odd that even in the shows most popular point nothing showed up as a 'blooper' in the media, or even on Bloopers the tv show.

Throughout TS's career I have yet to see outtakes from any of his work. I am thinking that maybe thats a pet peeve of his and we will never see the behind the scenes goofs....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

It is odd, isn't it. I don't think they showed any in the E! True Hollywood Story doc, either. I really, really hope they include some in the Season Eight DVD!

The only bloopers or outtakes, of any kind, that I've seen are the ones in the closing credits of The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii (1.8), which show several involving TS and JH (no audio, closing credits theme song plays over them). This was part of the original broadcast (since it's a part of the closing credits) and is included in the DVD version.

layne
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by layne »

Hi James. Thanks for an earlier welcome post. Love your site.

I do remember one time long ago on Dick Clark's blooper show seeing an outake of Magnum and Higgins standing on the estate grounds and Agatha running up to Higgins and yelling out "Jonathan, your buns are smoking!!!". Selleck and Hillerman were trying so hard to not laugh but couldn't . They looked at each other and died laughing. Of course Agatha was referring to buns (as in bread) but Tom and Jon could not stop laughing. They had to do many more takes I'm sure. That was priceless and I have never seen another blooper outake since. :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ha! I've heard of that one layne, but I've never managed to see it. Too funny! :)

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Brian »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVBE6duwFA

Here's a link to a bloober reel.
Sneakers Higgins!!

burny
Commander

#10 Post by burny »

Brian wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVBE6duwFA

the mag-hig-agatha "hot cross buns" one is HILARIOUS! :lol:

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by AmandaByNight »

Brian wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVBE6duwFA

I just watched this today. It was so funny... It was really hilarious watching Jonathan Hillerman crack up, because I just see him as so stoic!