What Hawaii Five-O Sets Were Used By Magnum P.I.?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

What Hawaii Five-O Sets Were Used By Magnum P.I.?

#1 Post by IslandHopper »

I have read from different sources that Magnum P.I., used sets left over from Hawaii Five-O. Does anyone know which sets used in Magnum P.I., were also used in Hawaii Five-O? Which episodes, etc.? Thanks.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I havn't heard of an exact set that was "shared" (a police station set maybe?), but they both used the same soundstages at the Hawaii Film Studio. A lot of props leftover from 5-0 were used in certain indoor sets for Magnum.

The Eve Anderson Estate (Robin's Nest) was memorably used as the mansion of Steve McGarrett's archenemy Wo Fat in the series finale Woe to Wo Fat (1980) , and maybe others. And I believe the original King Kamehameha Club (The Elk's Club) was used in several 5-0 scenes, as well.

And of course, both long-running shows filmed all over the island. How many other "on location" shots were in roughly the same area? The world may never know. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks, I've read that the Anderson Estate was used in Hawaii Five-O, but never knew what episode/s. I'll make a note of that last episode and see it when it comes out on dvd. Looks like that could be years though - season two won't be out until July 31st, 2007, and Hawaii Five-O had 12 seasons!

(btw James, it doesn't really matter, but I'm Holden Caulfield from IMDB, I posted in your announcement thread about this site, and finally signed up in the forum here. Thanks for the welcome in the other thread. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice to see you again Holden! Glad to see you here. :)

Higgy Baby
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Higgy Baby »

I'm currently watching season two of Hawaii Five-O on DVD. There is familiar MPI scenery in season one, which I've already watched, but it really seems prominent in season two. I've seen the Anderson Estate in "Sweet Terror" and "Forty Feet High and It Kills". I've seen the Kamehameha Club a few times as well. The series is kind of holding me over until season 8 comes out. It's also amazing how much Honolulu changed from the late 60's through the 80's. My girlfriend lived there as a kid in the early 70's and made similar commentary when we visited last year. Just interesting to literally see it through the action of two TV shows.
"A lesson lads, cheap whiskey in this heat can rot the brain"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgy Baby. currently I've got the Anderson Estate appearing in seven HF0 episodes - "Forty Feet High and It Kills" (S2), "Sweet Terror" (S2), "The Second Shot" (S3), "While You're at It, Bring in the Moon" (S4), "Cloth of Gold" (S4), "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich, But It Helps" (S5) and the series finale "Woe to Wo Fat" (S12).

And there may be more!

grundle
Admiral

#7 Post by grundle »

James J. Walters wrote:Higgy Baby. currently I've got the Anderson Estate appearing in seven HF0 episodes - "Forty Feet High and It Kills" (S2), "Sweet Terror" (S2), "The Second Shot" (S3), "While You're at It, Bring in the Moon" (S4), "Cloth of Gold" (S4), "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich, But It Helps" (S5) and the series finale "Woe to Wo Fat" (S12).

And there may be more!

DVD release June 10:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hawaii ... son-4/9037

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

IH...Old thread..I haven't seen it mentioned but Higgy was using the old Five-O desk.

http://www.jamesmacarthur.com/HawaiiFiv ... 06_jpg.jpg

I'll see if I can find a cap from MPI.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

Hi IH,

I found two caps of the HFO-MPI desk,with you being the Master of Flubs,you probably spotted the desk.I'll post anyway.

In this pic it looks like the left leg was damaged or the floor was uneven.
Last edited by Sam on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

Hey Sam,

Great spot on the desk, and thanks for posting that. No, I didn't notice that Higgins' desk was also McGarret's, but I haven't seen Hawaii Five-O in years. However, I probably wouldn't have noticed it anyway. I like the show, but I haven't seen it on any of my cable channels in years. The last time my cable company aired HFO, it was on at 4:00 a.m., and that was before I had a DVR. Thanks again.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#11 Post by K Hale »

J.J. Walters wrote:Higgy Baby. currently I've got the Anderson Estate appearing in seven HF0 episodes - "Forty Feet High and It Kills" (S2), "Sweet Terror" (S2), "The Second Shot" (S3), "While You're at It, Bring in the Moon" (S4), "Cloth of Gold" (S4), "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich, But It Helps" (S5) and the series finale "Woe to Wo Fat" (S12).

And there may be more!
I am sure I've seen this in other threads but, the estate also appears in S10 "A Stranger in His Grave," along with JH, wearing a bathrobe that looks like it would have fit someone much larger. :lol:

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

Re: What Hawaii Five-O Sets Were Used By Magnum P.I.?

#12 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

The office of Lt. Tanaka/Lt. Page was used in a later episode of Five-0. I can't remember the season (had to be 10, 11, or 12) nor can I recall the episode name, but it was the one where Duke was questioning someone who threw film developing acid in his face. The set was supposed to be the news desk for a magazine or newspaper.
I'm a Boxley Girl....